• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9600GT Fan Noise

OKIGiveIn

Hi People

Bought a new GeCube 9600GT 256mb very cheap from a disreputable (but legit) dealer about 3 months ago. I have slightly overclocked (<10%) the board using Omega drivers etc.

Now the fan is making ominous noises.

Can anyone advise a suitable cooler setup for a dusty environment? Must be available in Australia!

Last edited:

M. Mellough

Processor Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego
Motherboard Asus A8N-E
Cooling Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu
Memory 2 Gb Corsair
Video Card(s) Problematic Asus EN7900GT TOP
Storage Seagate Barracuda 250Gb
Case Antec SLK2650-BQE
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Power Supply Enermax ELT500AWT
Software Win XP Pro SP2
OKIGiveIn said:
Hi People

Bought a new GeCube 9600GT 256mb very cheap from a disreputable (but legit) dealer about 3 months ago. I have slightly overclocked (<10%) the board using Omega drivers etc.

Now the fan is making ominous noises.

Can anyone advise a suitable cooler setup for a dusty environment? Must be available in Australia!

The 9600 series' coolers are notoriously flimsy, even those on top of the line models like yours. I don't know of any overclockers who kept the original on this otherwise good quality (for the price) card.

If Vantec is available in Oz I would highly recommend the Iceberq 4 which I believe is the least expensive of the "quality" VGA coolers available. In the US asking price is usually between $15 and $20 and it's 100% compatible with all 9600's. Oddly the Vantec site mentions all Radeons except the 9600 series on its compatibility list but the Iceberq 4's packaging lists all 9600's as compatible (I'm looking at the box right now). This cooler's quality is impressive for the price: you get a fair sized sturdy transparent plastic fan with blue LED and a rather thick solid copper base lapped to a mirror finish.

There is also the Iceberq 5 but it's over $30 US and a bit of an overkill for a 9600. Same goes for Zalman and other higher end products. Unless of course you plan to overclock your card to record breaking levels. Also, the 9600 is only powered through the mainboard and I don't think that putting a power-hungry cooler on it is recommended.

OKIGiveIn

M. Mellough said:
The 9600 series' coolers are notoriously flimsy, even those on top of the line models like yours. I don't know of any overclockers who kept the original on this otherwise good quality (for the price) card.

If Vantec is available in Oz I would highly recommend the Iceberq 4 which I believe is the least expensive of the "quality" VGA coolers available. In the US asking price is usually between $15 and $20 and it's 100% compatible with all 9600's. Oddly the Vantec site mentions all Radeons except the 9600 series on its compatibility list but the Iceberq 4's packaging lists all 9600's as compatible (I'm looking at the box right now). This cooler's quality is impressive for the price: you get a fair sized sturdy transparent plastic fan with blue LED and a rather thick solid copper base lapped to a mirror finish.

There is also the Iceberq 5 but it's over $30 US and a bit of an overkill for a 9600. Same goes for Zalman and other higher end products. Unless of course you plan to overclock your card to record breaking levels. Also, the 9600 is only powered through the mainboard and I don't think that putting a power-hungry cooler on it is recommended.

Thanks for the fast reply.

I have no idea what is needed or available in this type of hardware, so thanks for the recommendation.

I'm going to a computer fair tomorrow, so I hope someone there will have something suitable, with your suggestion in mind.

M. Mellough

Motherboard Asus A8N-E
Memory 2 Gb Corsair
Case Antec SLK2650-BQE
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Win XP Pro SP2
OKIGiveIn said:
Thanks for the fast reply.

I have no idea what is needed or available in this type of hardware, so thanks for the recommendation.

I'm going to a computer fair tomorrow, so I hope someone there will have something suitable, with your suggestion in mind.

If there's a modders corner at the fair I'm sure they'll have what you need. The 9600 uses a standard 2-pin attachment for its cooler so most models will fit.

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
I've never heard of a 9600GT, could you tell me what the difference of it is? It seems like they've got the same heatsinks, my 9600 XT won't overclock past stock, and underclocks even with a custom case blowing air onto it.

M. Mellough

Motherboard Asus A8N-E
Memory 2 Gb Corsair
Case Antec SLK2650-BQE
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Win XP Pro SP2
AMDCam said:
I've never heard of a 9600GT, could you tell me what the difference of it is? It seems like they've got the same heatsinks, my 9600 XT won't overclock past stock, and underclocks even with a custom case blowing air onto it.

There is no 9600GT, I assumed he meant the 9600XT that was manufactured by GeCube.

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
Alright, heatsinks are different lol. Mine's got about a 40mm fan with an aluminum heatsink and cheap aluminum heatsinks on the RAM. Doesn't cool very well, but it looks like Gecube made a good one.