Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stuartlawrence

Browning branches on Picea Engelmannii Blue Magoo

stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi, My Blue Magoo is in the 5 1 1 mix. I'm new to to using it. It's been in the 80's every day. I've been watering the tree every few days or more often when the soil feels mostly dry. The tree's currently putting on new growth. A couple branches have lost their needles at the tips and are dead. You think I'm watering it too much or not enough?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments (18)

• whaas_5a
    5 years ago

Planted 6 of these different sources, different years, different houses. They have all performed poorly or have died. Well all have died except one hanging by a thread.

This is the worst cultivar I've ever encountered. Bush's Lace on the other hand is exceptional and vigorous.

I know that doesn't help but you might be better off without out it.

• Embothrium
    5 years ago

Pot is way too small, which can't be helping. Collector conifer cultivars can be on the general market for short and very occasional periods, with the point soon coming that all that are found at regional outlets date back to that one year or so that Iseli or whomever was sending a particular kind out. If stock being viewed was never potted on by the retailer then it will still be in the same pot and potting medium that it was shipped in.

Maybe some years ago.

Perhaps without ever having been fertilized since having left the production facility.

• stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks. It's in a 10 gallon container. When I repotted into the 5 1 1 mix the roots were no where near the outside of the pot.

Update: We've been in the high 80's and 90's these past few days. The tree's in full sun. Even thought the potting mix was slightly moist yesterday I watered it anyway. Today I noticed some healthy needles falling off the inside branches. Anyone know if this tree is sensitive to too much water, not enough water or too much heat? Is this tree better off with afternoon shade?

This site says that Picea Engelmannii survives better with shade: https://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_pien.pdf

Thoughts?

• mblan13
    5 years ago

It's rated to zone 1 (-60 F) and is found in high country area's, so lighter on the water... I'd find a spot that gets a few hours of morning and shade the rest of the day.

I think the heat and humidity in your area might be too much for it.

• whaas_5a
    5 years ago

Mine do great in the summer and then fry in the winter. This plant can barely survive a zone 5 winter.

I literally got Abies pinsapo to survive more zone 5 winters.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Please help :(, the browning continues to worsen.Several more branches have browned and needles are falling off. I'm afraid I'm going to lose the tree. The tree's in full sun and the potting mix feels moist. What am I doing wrong? You definitely think this tree needs afternoon shade? It's putting out new growth very slowly. Some of the rootball broke when I re-potted it could that be why? The tree was doing very well in the miracle grow moisture control potting mix for 2 years. Since I switched it over to the 5 1 1 mix it's been struggling. Maybe the little bit of lime I added effected it?

• 123cococo
    5 years ago

I'm with whaas_5. I have never had one survive.My Bush's Lace are thriving though.I am in zone 6.

Original Author
    5 years ago

123cococo, how did yours die?

• ctgardenguy (Zone 6)
    5 years ago

I was thinking of buying one, but after reading this thread I will pass.

• mblan13
    5 years ago

Could you elaborate on "Some of the rootball broke off"

A trees roots can support what it grows above ground. If it loses roots, it might not be able to uptake enough water and nutrients it needs to sustain all the branches.

I still think you could be overwatering as well. I have a blue spruce that is in a 1 gallon pot in full sun and I didn't water it through a week span of 90+ degree days, and it didn't bother it at all. High country pines don't need watered every other day. Perhaps someone in the "CONIFERS" forum might be able to shed som light on this.

• 123cococo
    5 years ago

stuart they just browned out and died. Goos weather, correct planting time.I plant all of my conifers in late fall or winter in Tn. Sadly I was given another Blue Magoo as a Mothers Day gift and it is thriving in a pot right now. I am actually going to try a part shade location this time.Have tried everything else.

• mblan13
    5 years ago

Did you bare root when you re-potted?

I seem to recall reading something about not bare rooting pines, or certain pines because you will lose the beneficial bacteria and the tree will not be able to uptake enough minerals. That would be indicative of a tree casting off old growth to try to support the new growth and survive.

Original Author
    5 years ago

When I picked up the root ball I heard some roots rip. I didn't bare root, I removed all the old miracle gro potting mix. I think I have been over watering it because it started losing healthy needles a day after I watered it. I didn't think I could over water a tree in the 5 1 1 mix.

• mblan13
    5 years ago

I'm confused. If you removed ALL the old miracle grow potting soil, you bare rooted it. Yes, you can overwater with 5-1-1 and gritty mix. I almost offed 3 Japanese Maples because I didn't think there was any way that the Gritty Mix could hold enough water. I put some in an empty pot and saturated it and left it for a week. I overturned the pot and was surprised at how much moisture was retained. Granted there was no plant sucking up the water...

Another thing. Did you "chopstick" the soil to eliminate any air pockets in the soil? Large air pockets will cause roots to dry out and die.

• User
    5 years ago

" I didn't think I could over water a tree in the 5 1 1 mix. "

Something that will vary with the type or tree and what stage the tree is in, also how finely the bark is chopped and screened. More fines hold more water.

I've noticed a difference between my different types of trees, some need water everyday to continue showing progress, some don't.

I'm fairly new to 511 so just my 2 cents. :-)

Original Author
    5 years ago

I didn't use a chopstick but I used the jet setting on my hose sprayer.

• whaas_5a
    5 years ago

You're not doing anything wrong.

the problem is that the cultivar is a DOG. Dee oh gee dog.

This is the only survivor of 6 that I planted over the last 8 years.

oh yeah Vanderwolf's is another cultivar I had that did fine in full blazing sun all year. It was a champ like Bush's Lace.

all growers need to stop grafting this cultivar