Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brothergarm

Odd colouring: species Metasequoia

brothergarm
6 years ago

I probably have a half dozen species Metasequoia, and they all have straight green colouring, but this one has been in the ground for a couple years from a small little 8" bare root, and its colouring is very odd. Each 'leaf' starts out green then goes bronze and then a very light cream at the tip.

At first I thought it might be environmental, but this is now the second year it has this coloration.

Comments (15)

• whaas_5a
    6 years ago

Does it maintain that color until it colors up in the fall?

• brothergarm
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm not sure. It's actually in an out an out of the way spot in the middle of a field, and I didn't have an opportunity to check it much last year but I will be watching it closer now out of curiosity.

• brothergarm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Ken, it has a good ring of mulch but it is further away from my usual walking rounds to check my trees so I will have to keep an eye on it for soil moisture and see what happens with it.

• User
    6 years ago

I don't know about yours, but several years ago, one one mine did something really weird. The green leaves started turning creamy WHITE. I think the next season, we had an April heat wave and the leaves then got blasted/charred. My replacement trees are fine now and growing taller and taller. At the time, I suspected something environmental. My neighbors have a pool and I suspect they emptied water into the area and inadvertently killed it. These trees are very sensitive to salts and not sure what is in pool water but probably was not helpful.

brothergarm thanked User
  • toronado_3800
    6 years ago

I feel like I have seen that before but can't put my finger on it....

With any luck yours does that forever and you have a new cultivar. Maybe try to take a cutting or two when the opportunity presents itself/the fellow is big enough.

brothergarm thanked toronado_3800
  • NWalton (Zone 6a)
    6 years ago

There is a yellow cultivar of Metasequoia available. However, the light browning of the ends with the yellow makes me wonder if it's environmental. Do you have a picture of the whole tree?

• bengz6westmd
    6 years ago

Sometimes new growth on mine is slightly reddish. Give it alittle time to see if the chlorophyll builds up.

• brothergarm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• brothergarm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That could be it Beng. It's different than my other species M.g. but I'll watch it to see what happens with time.

NWalton, I have the yellow cultivar "Ogon", as well as "Silhouette" and "Schirmann's Nordlicht" and it's not like any other those. Likely one of the causes above but I'll watch with interest.

• brothergarm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Grass cutting break: took some foliage photos of M.g. for general interest.

Metasequoia glyptostroboides

Metasequoia glyptostroboides "Silhouette"

Metasequoia glyptostroboides "Ogon"

Metasequoia glyptostroboides "Schirmann's Nordlicht"

• User
    6 years ago

All my DR's are the generic, 'straight', green ones. Maybe my own particular experience but those seemed least problematic compared to the variegated cultivars.

• toronado_3800
    6 years ago

Thanks for the pictures. You have a whole catalog of Metasequoia!

Ogon has been painless for me. This year with the mild winter the Japanese beetles are really bad and they're actually eating it. Less bad than the regular species trees but they are still eating it.

brothergarm thanked toronado_3800
  • brothergarm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I love Metasequoia! Sorry to hear about the Japanese beetle damage for you, Toronado. I've only seen two beetles so far this year and they were on a Salix.

Aside from any possible issues that may be causing the colouration above, I haven't had any major issue with any of my M.g. yet, and the cultivars have been very vigorous.

• jalcon
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Japanese beetles are tearing up my gold rush too. My Gold rush is showing some weird foliage issues but I'm not sure it's do to the beetles. Although, there are always at least 20 beetles on the tree, I've never actually see the beetles on these areas of the damage though. Does this look like jap beetle damage?

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living