Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontario_canada5a_usda4b

Miniature conifers

Anyone growing
miniature conifers? Outdoors in the ground? Any advice to a newbie? Some are really beautiful, combined with companion plants and rockery!

(The ACS defines 'miniatures' as having a growth rate of less than 1" per year, and less than 1' size at 10 years.)

Comments (10)

• stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm growing Picea Glauca 'Daisy C White' for 3 years.

The Picea Orientalis 'Mt. Vernon' has been in the ground since the spring.

My advice would be to water the plant when the soil dries. I like to water most newly planted trees twice a week for about a month. I find that doing this helps with any transplant shock.

I don't water Daisy C White anymore now that it's established.

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
  • User
    7 years ago

I planted one of those Iseli miniatures containing 5 or so plants/conifers in the ground a couple years ago. It is doing well but if I could do it again, id separate the plants and spread them out a bit. Since I planted in December, I didnt want to add any stress so I didnt do that.

This "mostly miniature" garden was finished about 1.5 months ago. The Jean's Dilly and Little Gem (and one in the way back) have been in the ground 2-3 years. Im going to add more next year as well. The willow got thrashed by deer (as did my picea abies formanek that is just out of the pic on the left)

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked User
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

i would have hard time with them in winter.. in my cold MI ... storage of plants in pots is hard .. especially a shallow tray ...

otherwise they are trees... just like the rest ... treat them no different in the ground ...

keep in mind... in the cold white north ... most end up buried under the most perfect winter insulation ... snow ... which is just fine .. no winter sun on the plant or on soil ... nor any blistering winter winds ... get them dormant.. keep them dormant .....

late winter heave could be an issue if the root mass is really small ... and planted late in the season ... spring planting might be best ...

one last thing in snow land ... a tall marking stake might be needed.. if you have any inclination to go tromping around in winter .. you dont want to step on it ... this was a problem with children ...

ken

• DeanW45
    7 years ago

I have hordes of miniatures, mostly because I've run out of space for larger conifers. Mine are both in ground and in containers. Larry Stanley at Stanley and Sons has a huge selection of miniatures, although I don't know how many are hardy to zone 2.

My recommendation would be to go for it! Miniatures are fun, but they require attention just like bigger plants. I've killed a few by focusing on the rock garden or bed as a whole rather than as multiple individuals with different needs.

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked DeanW45
  • Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Some of the miniature conifers that I have been looking at, comments welcome!

Abies
    lasiocarpa
    'DuFlon'

---------------------------------------------------------

Picea abies 'Blatný'

Picea
    abies
    'Brno'

Picea
    abies
    'Jessy'

Picea
    glauca
    'Pixie' looks like a Christmas tree for my garden gnom!

Pinus strobus 'Josh's Ornament' Fantastic close-up! I am particularly interested in this one!

Pinus
    sylvestris
    'Bexel'

Abies
    alba
    'Pygmy'

Picea
    abies
    'Skyhigh WB'

Pinus
    strobus
    'Greg'

• clement_2006
    7 years ago

Abies alba 'Pygmy' look to abies veitchii, a detail are welcome.

Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b thanked clement_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Abies alba 'Pygmy' detail

In my notes, I have Abies veitchii as a large species tree, and 'Kramer' and 'Rumburk' as dwarf (not miniature) cultivars.

• clement_2006
    7 years ago

Yes, look Abies veitchii, some other dwarf cv : 'Heine' - 'Drevenack' - 'Eddergott' - 'K 2001' ... I don't know if Abies alba 'Pygmy' exist ??

Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, I made my notes based on what I thought were reliable sources, but I have to defer to the experts.

Something else, it is VERY difficult to find a specific specialty plant for sale. I think it is more expedient to choose from what nurseries like 'Stanley and Sons' have to offer. Any other nursery websites that I could browse?

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert