8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Pinus banksiana 'Banska Stiavnica'

Pinus banksiana 'Nana'

Pinus banksiana 'West Hawk Lake'

Comments (53)

• maple_grove_gw
    8 years ago

Great photos of these really nice banksiana selections, I really enjoyed them.

Alex

• Garen Rees
    8 years ago

Yay! Thanks for starting this Clement.

I only have one to share. Took this photo yesterday at the request of midnightsummerdream.

Pinus banksiana 'Al Johnson' - The ones I've seen have a nice natural bonsai shape.

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    8 years ago

Oh, yes. I also have a very nice specimen of 'Schoodic'

Lots of serotinous cones. It's been a while since I've had a forest fire . . .

~Dave

• User
    8 years ago

Thank you Clement; once again these are not on conifersociety.org database, really like "Cyrus" and "Tobermori". Cheers,

• User
    8 years ago

Thank you Garen for the pic request; what beauty, I would never have guest this was a pinus banksiana CV -- new push is much longer than all the different CV I have been studying for comparison and to differentiate from other CV. I would have guest it would have been a pinus ucinata CV. It would look great next to my pinus uncinata "Silver Candle".

Cheers, p.s.: do you know if it's a dwarf or miniature of pinus banksiana?

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Hi Dave,

Clement's last name is: Anthoine

which will need be ammended in the Conifer Society database.

Pinus banksiana 'Compacta'

Dax

• PRO
    8 years ago

Thanks, Dax. Good eye. All fixed.

Do you know the origin of 'Compacta?' Its story is apparently not well-known.

• PRO
    8 years ago

@Clement, do you know the origin of 'Cyrus?' There does not seem to be any available history for this cultivar. It's a story that must be told.

Also, I have also seen 'Tobermori' listed as 'Tobermonti.' Can you resolve the conflict. Thanks!

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Clement may know the origin of 'Compacta', Dave.

Dax

• clement_2006
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Probably a witch's broom from England, but not sure. I have 1 from 1990 no longer in the trade here.

• User
    8 years ago

Clement and Dax; thank you for all the posting of different Pinus banksiana CVs for me to help me ID my posting thread request, after seeing all your pics Clement and now the pic of Dax's recent posting. I can now deduced it to either "Tobermori" or "Compacta" (if selected pruning to thin out some branching); I will put these two to find for my collection of pinus banksiana for my Seattle home garden. Thank you both so much.

Also; now glaciers_end can post these into the conifersociety.org with pics of other CV, so others can be educated about these different CV and be passionate about this species and it's hardiness and low maintenances -- as well as giving the wild life that it draws into their garden of pinus banksiana.

For some reason it is hard to find any pinus banksiana CV at any of our major local nurseries in Seattle or surrounding suburbs. Still requesting from all my favorite Tree/Shrubs buyers thou from 9 favorites thou. I like to see and touch to select a good specimen; so that I have to be patient (LOL). Cheers,

• PRO
    8 years ago

Those aren't ready for adding to the ConiferBase. We're lacking a good history/provenance for both and then there's the whole naming conflict for 'Tobermori/Tobermonti.' Besides neither is currently known to the U.S. nursery trade. In fact, Dax may have the only one in existence in the country, so if you like that one, you may need to get it grafted yourself.

Good news is , I have a thumb drive with the former ACS database administrator's entire photo collection (10s of thousands of good photos). I'll make an effort to get a bunch more banksiana cultivars posted and described in the coming week.

• clement_2006
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pinus banksiana 'Martin Novak'

• Garen Rees
    8 years ago

@midnightsummerdream, 'Al Johnson' Appears to be dwarf to intermediate as it can put out growth anywhere from 4-8 inches. Mine is currently more dwarfy putting out 3-4 as it gets established.

• User
    8 years ago

Garen; thank you for sharing all the information regarding "Al Johnson", he is a beauty - nice and healthy specimen. Hope to see more pics of it in future years of growth and maturity.

Clement; another new one in your gorgeous garden (WOW), so tight and love the needles. Another new one that you have educated me on of pinus banksiana "Martin Novak"; only information I can find is from Conifertreasury.org (Zsolt's database - Mesterhazy & Malik), prefaced information from it says that it was found in 2009 in Tannenmoor, Austria with only 3 cm growth rate per year. WOW and Incredible, your pic of it is also the healthiest specimen of pic too in a garden (pics on conifertreasury.org shows grafts of them and the WB). Thank you once again. New one that isn't available in the US yet; based on that all information that I can find, only one grower in CZ list it for sale/availability. Cheers,

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Dennis Dodge used to tell me that banksiana's are difficult to sell from a nurseryman's perspective and him being one of the best nurseries there was in the United States. I don't quite understand it and neither did he.

Dax

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks Dax (for sharing Dennis Dodge and your opinions and nurseryman's perspective); maybe more nurseryman should educate the beneficial factors to wild life and how resilient it is too poor soil, wind, weather, both moisture and dry conditions. I have become extremely enamored with them now; the more I read about them, the more I read about it -- the more I am amazed with this species and their CV.

I love your Pinus banksiana "Compacta"; from what glaciers_end is saying, you are the only one that has a "Compacta" in the US (that I would have to graft one up for myself - LOL - see glaciers_end comment above). If you can spare a couple of scion; I would like to graft one up, or if you have any graft up -- willing to do a trade or pay you for one (LOL). How old is your "Compacta"? Is it about 2 feet by 2 feet? Just guesting from your pic.

Cheers,

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Hello summerdream,

Maybe 15" x 15". I have a few extra understock and will graft on them for you.

I think your "trade" with me will cover all costs, ! ;-)

And I sent Alex scions this winter; he's a good a grafter as I am, so there outta be one for ya.

Best regards!

Dax

• User
    8 years ago

Hi Dax,

Thank you so much; I look forward to it, I hope Alex is successful too. I'll e-mail you regarding our trade, was just thinking about it last week, to see when you would be ready for it (since you have been so busy -- busy time for all conifer addicts, LOL).

I know you told Dave (glaciers_end) in your earlier comment; that Clement would know "Compacta" origin and story, do you have any basic idea where it came from? WOW that it's only about 15" x 15"; how old is yours that you original graft? - to plant, and have you seen any coning on it? Cheers,

• gardener365
    8 years ago

It is an original graft. I'd have to look at the tag but I believe it's 6-7 years old. The area around it is gooey and my shoe sunk into it yesterday. I'll look for sure when I clip scions later today and have a board to stand on.

I don't know anything more than Clement knows about it. It hasn't coned for me, no.

Dax

• clement_2006
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My old Pinus banksiana 'Compacta' growing under a big Pinus strobus long time.

Pinus banksiana 'Tear Drop'

Pinus banksiana 'Manomet'

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Yes, your 'Compacta' needed more sunlight. I like it still.

Dax

• User
    8 years ago

Wonderful Clement; it seems that you and Dax are the only two that I know of has pinus banksiana "Compacta". Do you know the story of "Compacta" who found or first graft this CV "Compacta".

Each one you post pics of your specimen are beautiful and unique; I can see all the differences, between each CV. Wonderful to have your pics, I have bookmarked your gallery of pinus banksiana for future referencing.

Also; Clement, I would like to ask if you have a specimen of pinus banksiana "Schneverdingen"? I only learn of this one from ken_adrian original posting (Pinus banksiana "Wisconsin" in 2009; that coniferjoy (Edwin) posted a beautiful pic of "Schneverdingen", I researched this CV and found other pics from different nurseries offering for sale and in many private garden -- coniferjoy (Edwin) pic show best, nice, and clear pic of "Schneverdingen" (small specimen of it). Coniferjoy (Edwin) says was found witches'broom by the Horstmann Nursery, Schneverdingen, Germany.

Thank you for always sharing such wonderful information and knowledge; your garden is a huge class room to teach us so much about conifer gardening and collecting.

Cheers,

p.s.: Clement, I just received e-mail message from you -- will go read and reply.

• clement_2006
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pinus banksiana 'Schneverdingen'

• PRO
    8 years ago

. . . of course something else to think about is, why expend a lot of energy hunting down cultivars that are so old that they're lost to the nursery trade or European cultivars which have never grown on U.S. soil when there are plenty of choice banksiana cultivars easily obtainable if you know where to look.

First I recommend Al Fordham's quadrumvirate of 'Chippewa,' 'Wisconsin,' 'Neponset,' and 'Manomet.' They are all quite easy to find, all different and pretty cool. Plus they originated from seedlings which I consider superior to witch's broom derivation.

In addition, my broom-hunting friends Mike and Sheila Davison have found several which are just now entering production. 'Ray's Random Point' is a broom selection that they made last year and is being offered by Conifer Kingdom this year for the first time. They sent me scions for two other new ones that I just grafted this fall. Sam Pratt's 'Gaethe's Global Legacy' and Brent Markus' 'Mini Kingdom' are a couple others coming from the guys in Silverton.

On top of that Joe Braeu and Josh Horky have found a bunch of Jack pine brooms in Minnesota and Michigan's U.P. (Wolf, Josh's Ornament, . . .). Chub Harper found several in the midwest ('Beehive' is probably the best and easiest to find). Although these are considered classics now, there are some gardens and arboreta in Iowa where scionwood can be located to reestablish the clones.

~Dave

• User
    8 years ago

Interesting that you should say all this glaciers_end (Dave); the three out four offering from Al Fordham, I have requested from 9 of the high end nurseries in Seattle and surrounding suburbs for over three years now ('Chippewa,' 'Wisconsin,' 'Neponset') -- not one of them have come thru on it. I like to see, touch, and study the best offering before bringing into my garden.

pinus banksiana -- species or CV by it's own right; by it's growth rate put itself in the miniature and dwarves for small space gardening from all that I have been reading, the we get on the subject of it's endurance to elements (soil, heat, dry, wet, etc.), wildlife beneficial factors, etc., etc., etc. (other factors that might not yet been found out about of this species - medicinal?) -- why wouldn't one want one or even all CV available. How were these seeds treated to get these new CV? Why are their these mutation (WB) happening (elements, pollution, cross pollination of other species, etc.?!).

If those that start out to seek information of what is available out their of any species -- where would they go to find and rely on to have a complete and up to date library/database. Maybe thru these exchanges -- as on previous thread posting with Zsolt (conifertreasury.org), why would you put down someone passion and excitement to learn or acquire knowledge or actual specimen for their garden. You mention Sam and Brent (Conifer Kingdom) on that thread to Zsolt of why only send to them of scions? He was trying to let you know relationship he is building that would let him know to log into his conifertreasury.org so it would not be lost. He listed all others as well to get his information to try and maintain as accurate and current as possible so that it wouldn't be lost.

These other CV from these other people that you are mentioning about; I do not see them on your conifersociety.org, I rely on your knowledge and database to educate and inform too. I believe if you are passionate and excited; learn everything you can from those that are filled with the same passions. We are disappointed enough by not being able to locate a certain CV of any species -- we don't need to do it to others that have such passion for the same.

I am very appreciative of these peoples knowledge and sharing; the best gift and most priceless thing one can give one another is knowledge, wisdom, and experience. The time they give to me to educate is highly respected and valued!!!!

TRUE FRIENDSHIP!!! STEWARDSHIP!!! COMMUNICATION FOR CLARITY!!! EDUCATOR!!! ENCOURAGE!!!

Clement thank you very much and respectfully always. WOW, no other specimen or quality of pic of Pinus banksiana 'Schneverdingen' is as healthy or large as yours; thank you for your time and sharing, and so quickly with efficiency.

Cheers,

• PRO
    8 years ago

Great post, MSD! There's a lot to cover here and I'll muddle through the best I can drawing on nearly 20 years of experience obsessively collecting and learning about dwarf and miniature conifers.

The first part to understand is that most of these special rare conifers will never be seen at retail garden centers as they are firmly the domain of specialty growers, private collections and ACS Reference Gardens. I learned long ago that a retailer can't acquire for resale something that nobody is growing.

Why is nobody growing these things? Simple — money. In general, it takes 5-6 years at a minimum for a miniature conifer to grow to a marketable size. That kind of investment in time comes with a price, generally $30-45 at the wholesale level. Given the markup a retail nursery has to apply, the average customer is going to balk big time at spending $80-100 for a tiny puff of needles. I learned long ago that garden centers are not the place to find rare conifers, nor do I ever try to force them to do so.

So what happens once you have everything that's available from garden centers that interest you? You have to go out and seek out the specialty growers, get to know them, become their personal friends, then see what they'll part with. Quite often, they may only propagate 4-5 specimens of any particular plant in any particular year, based on the size and vigor of their stock plant(s). Needless to say, their good friends will get priority over people they don't know. Unfortunately many of the specialty growers don't do mail order, but if you want something badly enough, you will go to them.

Another way to get the cool and rare stuff is through Conifer Society auctions. The ACS plant auctions are the #1 (or 2) reason that I joined years ago. In recent years, I've even joined auction committees to guide what gets brought in, just so I get my hands on something that can't simply not be bought anywhere.

The next stage in the obsession is what happens when you have everything that the specialty growers produce for sale that interests you. This is where knowing how to graft and root cuttings is an invaluable skill (economical too). I have yet to encounter a specialty grower or hobbyist (with maybe one exception) who won't happily trade scionwood or young plants. It actually gets to the point of being a world-wide network once your collection is big enough.

So combining everything to this point. Pinus banksiana cultivars interest you. You realize nobody is selling 'Neponset' but you realize the Arb at South Seattle College has a big one. If you're friends with Mark who curates and maintains the grounds, all it takes is a friendly request for a few cuttings and a promise to donate something in the future and you're on your way to having 'Nepsonset' in your collection.

more in the next section . . .

• PRO
    8 years ago

"Why wouldn't someone want all of the cultivars available?"

Mostly because it's neither possible or feasible. Each species has had myriad named cultivars over time. Some have been big winners, some have been total duds. The winners from 50 years ago can still be found in great collections. The duds simply get shovel-pruned at ground level and will eventually become extinct the trade.

Old cultivars are often overtaken by new (and often very similar cultivars). Picea abies and Pinus mugo are famous for this. Nobody has every Pinus mugo cultivar ever named. Besides, it would be absurd to have an entire garden with 10,000 dwarf globose Mugo pines all with different tags. On the other hand, it's quite appropriate to have a handful of something you really like, particularly if it's something you like.

"How does this genetic variation happen?"

A lot of times it just happens. If you plant a flat with 1000 Jack pine seeds, you're quite likely to find a few freaks. The same thing happens in people or other species. In the past some growers have experimented with irradiating seeds. This is how we got Sciadopitys verticillata 'Sternschnuppe,' Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Ogon.' Abies koreana 'Blauer Zwo' and many others. This practice is extremely rare. More common is to cross-pollinate cultivars to achieve traits from both. This is how we got Picea abies 'Cobra' (virgata x reflexa) and a couple of others that are just coming to market.

Witch's brooms are a spontaneous bud mutation that are caused by all sorts of things like trauma, lightning strikes or disease. It just takes something to scramble the host plant just a tiny bit. Of course the one who collects the broom must take the time to ensure that the propagations are stable or that they even survive propagation. Nothing is guaranteed.

more in the next section . . .

• PRO
    8 years ago

"Where would they go to find and rely on to have a complete and up to date library/database?"

A comprehensive database or library is not possible with for the reason I mentioned earlier. Cultivars simply come in and out of popularity. Despite its mistakes, the RHS Encyclopedia of Conifers is a pretty good start as it contains many of the proven winners over time. Plus the photography is awesome. It needs to be on every Conehead's desk for easy reference.

I'm not a big fan of ConiferTreasury.org for the exact opposite reason. It's simply a long list of names with limited history and very little information about how a cultivar will perform over time. There is no way to discern what's a winner and what's a dud.

As editor for the ConiferBase on ConiferSociety.org, I'll clue you in to how fastidious I am with that work. I won't even mention a plant unless it's been around long enough to know how it performs over a 10-year period. All grafted conifers look pretty much the same for the first couple of years after they've been grafted. It most often takes 7-10 years to know if a plant is garden worthy. Another reason a plant won't get into the ConiferBase is if there is nothing known about it. In my opinion, a plant's history and provenance is way more important to me than the plant itself. My goal is to create quality rather than quantity. My personal garden is much much more than a collection of plant tags and I don't want the ACS ConiferBase to just be a list of names.

I'll wrap it up here. The best way to see what's out there is to get out there and explore. See the gardens, visit the collections, ask questions in person. Get to know the people for real, not what you want to believe is on the other side of the computer screen. I've mentioned the American Conifer Society many times. I'm passionate about it. It's been my conduit to get to know the people who put me in contact with the plants. It's really fun.

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Good stuff everybody.

summerdream: I cut scions and grafted banksiana 'Compacta' but did not think to look at the date my specimen was grafted. I'll have to get back to you another time.

Dax

• clement_2006
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pinus banksiana 'Tucker's Dwarf'

20/25 years old, 80 cm w. and 40 cm hight.

• maackia
    8 years ago

P. banksiana 'Wild Thing'. These pictures taken just outside the appropriately named Pine River, MN.

• User
    8 years ago

Clement; it's just as beautiful as the first one you first posted of "Tucker's Dwarf", but larger and I like how it stays so compact and tight/dense. How old is this larger one that you just posted of "Tucker's Dwarf"? and how tall and wide is this one recent post of it? Thank you Clement.

Dax; thank you so much for grafting a "Compacta" for me, I look forward to getting it in my Seattle garden. Let me know when your ready for your "trade" for me to send to you. Weather has been crazy. Sent you a reply back of this morning e-mail.

Macckia; nice dwarf CV of pinus banksiana, love the name too "Wild Thing" -- any ideas on the age and how it came about, age and height? Thank you for sharing; the land of 10,000 lakes never ceased to amaze me, especially if you're a fishing and bird watching fanatic. Spent a lot of summers visiting friends and fishing all over Minnesota. Thank you for the three great pics of coning to boot. Beautiful stands of white birches as back drop too; tells me pinus banksiana would do well to mitigate wet land and high winds, which we all know so well of the states that surrounds the Great Lakes.

Cheers,

• plantkiller_il_5
    8 years ago

AND , A BIG THANKS to Glacier for explaining a little about ACS database

I have made some mild criticism in past posts,,,,,,will rethink opinions

thanks , ron

got the RHS conifer encyclopedia from library,,,,,,,,,,,,,WOW !

• User
    8 years ago

Yes glaciers_end; in agreement with Dax, good stuff!!! Great for the beginner and intermediate collector. Great about your feelings for the ACS; you are the "gate keeper", it's good that you come out with the truth of how you are managing and explaining your philosophy of how you want to manage the database for ACS -- even thou it conflicts with you not wanting to list anything that isn't proven garden "worthy". Same way with growers that go by their own taste of likes and dislikes to even grow for the market place. So you bottle neck it; to inform and make aware of a certain new or old species CV, that would just like to have their name "immortalized" and "remembered" for bring this one about. This is what I mean about biases and selective process; instead of at least listing that as much as possible as Zsolt's conifertreasury.org is doing, he at least supplies the name, accredit/record founder, post pics of it thru his database -- this helps lift the confusion and debate of what is actually came about. Reference platform for others to compare that it's a clone of something that was name prior thru pics, etc., etc., etc. Help weed out duplication of similar ones. At least lift up the confusion (growers, nurseryman, and the one that wants to maintain, teach, educate, motivate excitement -- not to "speak with a fork tongue" or "double talk themselves"). I appreciate Zsolt's conifertreasury.org more; because he is taking the time to cross reference and record all that he can from access to ACS, RHS, growers, so no one can take credit from-- where credit is due.

Just so you know; I have gone thru all the process which you stated above, so I appreciate and respect that you have communicated this out to everyone that is truly the "conifer addicts" - "obsessive collectors", it will help them allot from confusion and frustrations. One exception is I haven't join the ACS; use to be a member of the RHS, attend and donate for auctions to the purpose of charities (good causes).

BTW; a good educator and motivator, DOES NOT NEED TO KNOCK DOWN OR SLANDER SOMEONE'S WORK, would take the time to learn and understand their philosophy and convictions too the same causes. Show the same respect for others work and time as they have show you by not disparaging your works.

We are all human and want mutual respect and sharing of knowledge. So thank you for sharing your enthusiasm and philosophy; your knowledge is appreciated too, but their are others that have more than our 20 years of this love for "Conifers".

Others; whether grower, inexperience gardener, nurserymen, professional landscape designer, obsessive collectors -- addicts, etc., etc., etc. from their confusion of conflicts of each organization or commercial retailers might take offense and become cynical of lack of transparency and clarity. As they say "you can catch more flies with honey, then with vinegar".

You never know where one can make friends and influence people or even the "world" thru the love of conifers -- helps bring people together.

In a short time on this forum I have come to have high regards for Clement, Mikebotann, gardener365(Dax), Ken_Adrian, davesconifer, etc., etc., etc. of their long time experiences and words of wisdom to give advice, warning, educating, sharing, encouragement -- which fans the passion for conifer with truth and probably 30-50 years of experiences and obsession about "Conifers" not to just my request -- but read comments they made to help others.

Maybe that is why I haven't seen old members like coniferjoy(Edwin), firefighter, etc. on this forum anymore -- but moved on to another forum to get more correct information and give forth their knowledge and experiences. It took me three years to decide to join; so I read different posting threads, and was extremely impress.

Your comments of: You realize nobody is selling 'Neponset' but you realize the Arb at South Seattle College has a big one. If you're friends with Mark who curates and maintains the grounds, all it takes is a friendly request for a few cuttings and a promise to donate something in the future and you're on your way to having 'Nepsonset' in your collection.

What makes you think I haven't already done that; causes I have before you even posted this, like when I haven't even join for two week on this forum that you approach me to be on this years ACS 2016 Tour in Sept. -- knowing nothing about my garden and telling me you know my gardener. Which I quickly corrected you. You're so quick to make statements without getting to know someone; I have gotten to know several on the forum that has been kind and giving, even shipping me conifers that I wanted for my collection -- all thru a "computer monitor/screen." (LOL)

Cheers, p.s.: There are allot of members of this forum that are honest, direct, sharing, and giving with one another with respect and sincerity. I felt and hear it in their passion of sharing their experience. Don't be so cynical and be a salesman first of the ACS; but willing to share and help educate for the love of conifers -- because you find allot of these wonderful member are happy to do the same.

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Dave, I will wholeheartedly say that when I need a photo of a conifer I go to Google. If it's not on Google . . . I go to Zsolt's Conifer Treasury.

Be aware this man has seen more conifers than you or I will ever see in a lifetime w/o an airplane or a hotel. And when passion is brought into the whole picture - that is Zsolt. He's a good man.

It's very difficult for me writing this. (on another thread I read Zsolt and you going back and forth and did not comment) because . . . I was raised to say "nothing" if I didn't have anything good to say. And, I was raised not to be controversial and to always walk away from a fight. Those are two separate things: not to be controversial; and not to fight; sometimes both arrive at the same location/same time. So I walk away.

That is the truth from my heart my friend, Dave.

Athletics, that's another story. Someone slide tackled me from behind and hurt me; I'd wait and I always retaliated.

Dax

• User
    8 years ago

Thank you Dax; I was raised the same way as you were, whole heartedly. It was very difficult for me to write this and on other posting thread on Zsolt defense; I haven't seen him on this forum since that thread you prefaced to glaciers_end (Dave). Thank you Dax.

glaciers_end (Dave), I do appreciate you and your knowledge too -- it's just that we can't assume or say things about people without understanding and really knowing the truth. That is also the way I was raised.

I don't like people speaking out of turn; meaning assuming or presuming things and talking about me or others, so I will say something when it's not true -- especially when it gets escalated too far.

Cheers,

• gardener365
    8 years ago

It was very difficult for me. I feel like I may have done something wrong and that bothers me. I'm going to need a break before I return to all of Houzz.

Dax

• PRO
    8 years ago

It's all good Dax you know we've been tight ever since we broke bread together before that epic day of scion rustling in Clinton and its surroundings a couple winters ago. That's something that's always been invaluable about online forums like this: to make contacts and arrange for fun meetings and adventures.

I will not likely write any more about a certain notorious individual. Definitely too much personal bad water has passed under that bridge.

I'll leave it that I know things and have seen things that most people never see and would greatly disturb them if they did. Nonetheless, in my never ending search for enlightenment, I never back away or move sideways . . .

In conversations with some of the old-timers from these forums (most of which I still know and talk with), many have mentioned the sterile anonymity and problems with pseudo-personalities as reasons for leaving GardenWeb. I've decided to come back for a while, but I admit it can be frustrating.

~Dave

• Mike McGarvey
    8 years ago

Dave, you're do'in fine. Just steer the ship. Don't get caught up in details. They'll take care of themselves over time.

You're in a brave position that few naysayers are willing to take on.

Mike

• PRO
    8 years ago

Thanks for your support, Mike :) If not for this forum, we'd have never met at that wienie roast at Bob Fincham's place a few years back . . .

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Thank you very much, Dave. Zsolt's such a good friend of mine and I admire him.

Keep the faith, keep the faith . . . in however form that speaks to you, it's important.

Dax

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    8 years ago

Here are some of my Pinus banksiana.

Pinus banksiana 'Kalsnava Dwarf', Latvian seedling selection.

Pinus banksiana 'Arctis'

Pinus banksiana 'Martin Novak'

Irena

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Hi Ireena,

What species is 'Martin Novak' grafted on? I see a single needle on that seedling. Just curious if you know.

Dax

• coniferbros
    8 years ago

I viewed this thread a while back and thought I should take a picture of some of my banksiana's. I know these are not rare varieties, but I always like viewing others' pictures anyways.

'Al Johnson':

'Schoodic'

• Garen Rees
    8 years ago

WOW! That's an immaculate space you have. That 'Schoodic' is a big beaute and looks great. So glad you shared.

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Very nice!

Dax

• bamboo_nuts
    8 years ago

Dax,

Do you happen to know the source for Pinus banksiana 'Nana'?

Thanks Dax,

John N.