Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22974926

ID help needed on this pinus?

User
8 years ago

Toured a garden today at a local community college in West Seattle (South Seattle); saw this in front entry to Chinese garden, could someone ID for me to locate one for my home garden from pics below?

Thank you for the help. Cheers,

Comments (16)

• Embothrium
    8 years ago

Jack pine.

• clement_2006
    8 years ago

Yes, Pinus banksiana , cv ?

User thanked clement_2006
  • wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Yes, that's a cultivar of jack pine. The species is a bedraggled thing, much less picturesque than our other native upper Great Lakes pines. but it does serve some wildlife purposes, and will grow in pure blow sand. But this is some fancy-schmancy variety, not the straight species.

User thanked wisconsitom
  • maackia
    8 years ago

I'm guessing P. banksiana 'Al Johnson'. I've got one that needs to be moved to a more difficult site. They like it hot and dry. The term 'rustic' is often used to describe this cultivar. I'm not sure what that means, but it could be a catch all phrase for garden plants of unorthodox appeal.

User thanked maackia
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Ken (thank you for your advice); actually did that last night after Clement (always can rely on your knowledge to give me ID to start at, Merci beaucoup Clement) ID of pinus banksiana, with cv? --- I really appreciate his and your input. Still going thru conifersociety.org database to find match. Thank you everyone for your comments too; I absolutely agree with your comment wisconsitom "fancy schmancy variety" (LOL), I have been scouring conifersociety.org database most of last night to find cv to match -- no luck yet, will keep trying to find cv?!. Wish my pics could do it more justice; best that I could get with my Samsung tablet. Many thanks everyone, hope still for someone to actually help more. Cheers,

• Embothrium
    8 years ago

Many cultivars arise as dwarf or otherwise aberrant seedlings, such plants when encountered without confirming labels may be additional examples of seedling variation that have never been propagated and named - it does not automatically follow that when a found plant is "different" that it represents a named cultivar.

• Garen Rees
    8 years ago

If it's a named cultivar, my guess would be a 'Schoodic' that was staked for height (normally a ground cover) hence the flat top and spreading branches. I have an 'Al Johnson' that I really like. Some other cultivar recommendations of this species would be 'Uncle fogy' and 'Skjak Flach'. These all have great character.

Get them here
    http://www.coniferkingdom.com/banksiana/

and here
    https://dragonflyfarmsnursery.com/plants-for-sale?search_api_views_fulltext=Pinus%20banksiana&page=4

and a 'Schoodic' here

https://www.etsy.com/listing/163966044/pinus-banksiana-schoodic?ref=shop_home_active_10

User thanked Garen Rees
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Garen; do you have a pic of "Al Johnson", conifersociety.org doesn't have a pic -- never heard of "Skjak Flach" have to look that one up. "Uncle fogy" is classified as large (not even an intermediate according to conifersociety.org site). I'm trying to stick strictly to miniature to dwarf conifers for this Seattle home garden (but thank you so much); I do love all pinus banksiana, there are two CV that I have requested from my favorite tree/shrub buyer for about three years now that are miniatures and dwarf CV. Would love to see a pic of your "Al Johnson" since maakia mention that one. I was think that it might be a "Schoodic" that has been stake up too; from pic in conifersociety.org site, just based on needles -- no cones on their pics to identify. The pics I took of this CV is about 3 feet tall by about 3 feet wide of branching. Many thanks again. Cheers,

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Closer look at "Schoodic"; I don't think it's the one that I post pics for ID request, all that I looked at online doesn't show the prolific coning. It looks closer to your "Skjak Flach" that you recommended or even on old posting which I just found while doing more research being "Schneverdingen" that Coniferjoy posted a pic of to Ken_Adrian original thread back in 2008?! Checked out pinus banksiana "Wisconsin" too for a match; gone thru the entire list on conifersociety.org, will do more research for ID of CV. cheers,

• clement_2006
    8 years ago

"Skjak Flach" are a Pinus sylvestris cv not a banksiana !

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Clement; but that is not how it is listed here in the US, according to the conifersociety.org site or amongst different growers here in the states. Also grower and distributor claim that it was wrongly listed as a pinus sylvestris cv -- but a pinus banksiana ("Skjak Flach"). I spent over two hours last night to look for it's availability to locate one after garen rees mention "Skjak Flach". Only one site list it as being a pinus sylvestris and numerous others claim that it has been incorrectly listed as pinus sylvestris --- but pinus banksania ("Skjak Flach"). What ever the case may be; I'm still going to get one to add to my collection in the garden, it is beautiful (il est tres jolie) LOL to not have one in my garden (if I can locate one available to get).

I do appreciate your knowledge very much; that is why I always ask you for information and help, i.e.: "abies nordmannia golden spreader" -- you taught me that it is not a spreader as all growers and nurseries proclaim to be 4 feet x 4 feet, showing a mature specimen of yours of 12 feet plus and a spread of over 3 1/2 feet wide.

Numerous other examples of your knowledge has showed many errors of information (conflicts of information) and causes confusion to me (I'm sure others too); no one ever taken too study or correction of this information (which I'm sure causes many debate -- or take a lot of joy and enthusiasm out of collecting conifers), I too have found errors in regards to numerous abies koreana CV that I was going to private message you or Dax regarding it -- before acquiring for my Seattle home garden.

You and Edwin have grown them with observation and I'm sure documented each of the different species, CV for numerous years of experience and finding. RHS also have many conflict of information with the ACS, etc., etc., etc. There needs to be a forum of conifer experts (growers, conifer society members, experienced home gardener, different professional garden curators and arboretum, etc. of the world) to come into agreement the truth and facts of each species and cv to properly document all the different conflicts of information. Help clarify all these misnomer so it doesn't take the joy and excitement away from conifer gardening and collecting.

Cheers,

p.s.: Clement I am sending a private e-mail later today; just got the news regarding the package you sent to me, thank as always.

• clement_2006
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thank you, I have also a lot of photos on photobucket under conifers2009.

http://s711.photobucket.com/user/Conifers2009/library/?sort=3&page=1

No mail from you at today.

User thanked clement_2006
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you very much (Merci beaucoup) Clement; I just finished going thru your wonderful and beautiful pics on your photobucket, I have bookmarked for future reference and education for me. I especially enjoyed the tutorial of grafting which you video tape with the French comments (short and concise tutorial). With your permission I would like to save onto my hard drive for personal use and reference. Very informative, detailed, pictures are very high quality with notation of each species, CV, etc., etc., etc.

Cheers and with highest respect and regards,

p.s.: I haven't been able to send a message yet; could not wait to view your photobucket, will send e-mail within the next hour. Bon nuit mon aime et merci beaucoup.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Clement; since Monday that you comment to tell me that:

"Skjak Flach" are a Pinus sylvestris cv not a banksiana !

I went back to locate one -- now all but one (Conifer Kingdom) is stating that it's a pinus banksiana. NOW -- All other nurseries states that it's a pinus sylvestris CV (LOL); because it was only Kigi Nursery here in Washington on Tuesday (when I went to research after Garen's suggestion) said was pinus sylvestris CV (LOL), I knew that what you said was true --- wanted to add to my collection of Pinus sylvestris to plant "Skjak Flach" with my "Gold Coin" and "Jeremy" (I like to have odd numbers, whether by numerous of same CV or one of each CV to an odd number). Amazing and confusing -- but really funny in less than a week of our comments on this thread?!. Cheers, p.s.: all European nurseries states it's a pinus sylvestris (including Edwin, Coniferjoy). Cheers, p.s.: LOL

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    8 years ago

Here's the story of Pinus banksiana 'Skjak Flach'

The original plant is in the garden of Nathan Miller in Canby, Oregon. For years it was listed as a Pinus sylvestris cultivar as are all of the other 'Skjak' selections in the nursery trade. However, upon looking at Nathan's plant, there is no question that it is banksiana. It looks like a mounding form of 'Schoodic.' I've never had good enough light while at Nathan's to get a good picture of the plant.

Nathan got his original plant from Iseli nursery, Boring, Oregon. It even has Iseli's tag that they use for plants under evaluation. The tag said, Pinus sylvestris 'Skjak Flach.' Clearly they weren't interested in producing the plant so they sold it (or maybe gave it) to Nathan. I've asked Iseli's head propagator where they got the original plant. He didn't remember; it was from long ago.

Obviously there was a mix up somewhere and this mystery is as solved as it's going to get. This is how we now have Pinus banksiana 'Skjak Flach.'

User thanked David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor