Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maackia

twisted needle conifers

maackia
8 years ago

There seems to be no end to twisted and contorted conifers on the market now, with Pinus strobus leading the charge (Tiny Kurls, Mini Twists, Vercurve, etc.). Are they more of a novelty plant that should be used sparingly, or is it in good taste to plant them throughout the garden? Here's a picture of P. s. 'Vercurve', which garners more comments than just about any plant I have, especially from people who aren't really into plants.

Comments (22)

• plantkiller_il_5
    8 years ago

What do I know about good taste , with purple everywhere in my yard ?

but,,Maac ,sure is pretty

what's growth rate,,,read : how big you think it's gonna get ?

looks like it's gonna need cleaning out occasionally

ron

• maackia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I too dabbled in purple, planting a Newport Plum at the corner of house. It was a short lived fling.

I get the feeling it is going to get big...like 15' wide and tall big. It may require some editing down the road. So far it has been very healthy and I've pretty much left it alone. Maybe I should plant another one next to it. ;)

• Garen Rees
    8 years ago

I most definitely agree the texture is a stand out that draws the attention of most everyone, hence I had to get one last weekend. I picked up a little Pinus strobus 'Green Twist', a mini, at Bob's Garden Fair in Englewood Ohio. The event is set in Bob Iiames beautiful backyard and is a gathering of vendors from all over Ohio selling unique and unusual plants, conifers, and garden art. The twisty strobus seam to be the first plants to get snatched up at the event. Bob had several 10 year old specimens in his yard that I am sure help the sales.

Bob shared with me some of his new prized babies and one was a.... wait for it..... a pendulous, twisted needle strobus. I want, I want. I'm a sucker for weepers. I can't remember the name of it but I believe he said it was one of only three that Gary Gee had at Gee Farms.

Maackia, yes you need to add another as do I. =)

• maackia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A pendulous, twisted needle strobus? I want it! BTW, I'm predicting the next White Pine twisted needle selection will be named P. strobus 'Twisted Sister'.

Garen, It's interesting you mention weepers, since these are the types of conifers that non-plant lovers seem to dislike, or unable to appreciate. I had my windshield replaced recently, and the guy who came out asked me if my "pine" was sick. It's actually Picea glauca 'Pendula' and is probably the single best specimen I've got on the place. I started to explain to him that it's supposed to look that way, but then realized it was likely a waste of breath.

• plantkiller_il_5
    8 years ago

Hey , maackia , how about a pictoral tour ?

ron

glauca Pendula is also one of my favorites

• Garen Rees
    8 years ago

Yeah, my father in law always says that there is something wrong with my trees because they are growing upside-down and some are flopping on the ground.

Your 'Vercurve' is a beautiful curly blob. If it's got some other conifer friends near by, give a us a peak some time. =)

My new mini, Pinus strobus 'Green Twist'

• maackia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm not sure I've got the garden to be putting on a pictorial show, but here's a few shots that I woke up to this morning. Actually, my spouse is the real gardener, which I've captured in the first pic. Otherwise, my shtick is to impulsively buy plants and THEN try to find a place for them.

We've had very cool evenings of late, and it got down to 42F last night. I threw on my flipflops to take a few pics and froze my feet.

• plantkiller_il_5
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

maackia , your spouse is a gnome ?

not that there's anything wrong with that

don't sell yourself short,,,,you've got some nice stuff there

what's that last plant ?

ron

• Garen Rees
    8 years ago

Aaah yeeah! That's what I'm talkin about. That's the stuff that helps fuel my healthy conifer addiction.

Your yard is very nice indeed. I especially like the placement and choice of plants for texture in the second photo. It strikes a perfect harmony. What's the globe pine in that photo? A desiflora perhaps? Many thanks for sharing.

• maackia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you. It is P. densiflora 'Low Glow'. This one has suffered the injustice of being planted too close to the garage entrance area. First my spouse ran over it and then my step son last winter. It's somewhat amazing how well it is doing considering my poor siting.

• plantkiller_il_5
    8 years ago

don't ya get it ? ll I saw was a gnome,,,,and a nice garden

my Low Glow is quite a bit different,,,,,don't think mine is

ron

• maackia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have to admit, Ron, I spaced it out. Sorry. My in-laws have been visiting since Saturday and as much as I enjoy them, it is a bit disorienting. Anyhow -- good one!

I'm assuming this is 'Grow Low', but I'm hardly an expert on pine identification. On the other hand, it's a pine and it glows so I'm going with it. :)

• Kitchenlady (Tennessee, Zone 7a)
    8 years ago

I just bought a Pinus Strubus Mini Twists last month and I absolutely love the look. I've got it planted it part sun (morning 9-2ish) and I'm hoping that's enough for it to thrive. So far no transplant shock and it's looking great. It's about 2ft tall x 3ft wide in size.

This is in the same bed that I have a Japanese Maple Fireglow planted and the contrasting colors look really nice.

• maackia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mini Twists -- what a great name. I'd think five hours of full sun should suffice.

• plantkiller_il_5
    8 years ago

9 to 2 snot bad

• maackia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's a nice look.

8 years ago

tsugajunkie... i love the picture of your MT! Do you actually mean dog pee when you say K9P or is that some fancy conifer term? LOL Our dog doesn't get near my Mini Twist fortunately. :)

8 years ago

Here's a picture of mine newly planted Mini Twists... This is a brand new garden that I'm working on. (please ignore the messy stones and general lack of mulch) :)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    8 years ago

Thanks, all. Yes, dog pee. Doesn't reach that high, but he always does his business (on the ground, mainly) right there.

tj

• plantkiller_il_5
    8 years ago

KL , we don't mind anything,,,,a garden is a process,,not an end

ron

• Anna Atlanta 7b8a
    8 years ago

Here's "Squiggles" from Bob's garden. He said that he planted "Squiggles" and "Wiggles" at the same time (they were near each other), but "Squiggles" was twice the size - a nice example of growth rate. Sorry I don't have a photo of the other.