Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwconifergarden

Minature Conifer Pictures

nwconifergarden
15 years ago

It was a little cloudy today (gotta love seattle!) but I thought I would try to take some pics anyway. Most of these are mini's, the others smaller dwarfs.

Picea Pungens 'Blue Pearl'

Abie Koreana 'Blauer Eskimo'

Pinus Uncinata 'Offenpass'

Cedrus atlantica 'Uwe'

{{gwi:869213}}

Cedrus libani 'Green Knight'

{{gwi:634103}}

Pinus uncinata 'Paradescussen'

{{gwi:869214}}

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Ima Beaut'

{{gwi:869215}}

Abies veitchii 'Rumburck'

{{gwi:869216}}

Tsuga canadensis 'Minuta'

Abies magnifica 'Mt. Si' (picture from spring)

Comments (20)

• kmanzfive laknee
    15 years ago

Pinus uncinata 'Offenpass' and Pseudotsuga 'Ima Beaut' look very, very nice. The pic of the Tsuga looks great w/the ground cover. Where did you acquire them from S & S or Fincham ?

• jaro_in_montreal
    15 years ago

Nice photos !

Pinus Uncinata 'Offenpass' ....must be from the south-east of Switzerland: I biked over the Offenpass in September of this year :O)

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

Great plants, great photos.

• firefightergardener
    15 years ago

Fantastic! Only increases my lust for 'Uwe' and 'Green Prince' Fabulous setting as well, everything looks incredible.

• pineresin
    15 years ago

"Pinus Uncinata 'Offenpass' ....must be from the south-east of Switzerland: I biked over the Offenpass in September of this year :O)"

In southeast Switzerland, only P. mugo subsp. mugo occurs, no P. mugo subsp. uncinata. So either this is from a different Offenpass, or else it is wrongly named.

Resin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

ah man.. i have ordered the first two at least three times.. and it was never in stock at my planting time.. which means you, in a higher zone.. probably got it.. two months before i wanted delivery ...

any chance.. you can give us a pic of the whole bed.. i know we wont be able to focus on any specific tiny plant... but i am curious as to your presentation ...

otherwise.. marvelous.. thanks.. please post more ..

ken

• firefightergardener
    15 years ago

Hey Ken,
    That sounds like a pretty easily remedied problem. Either order the plants as soon as they are available and ask for a hold or have one of us with a warmer climate order them for you to hold. I know I am blessed, personally to live in 'conifer state, USA', but I keep reading about this kind of situation elsewhere and that doesn't seem fair (or fun!).

The last trip I made to Coenosium Gardens was three-four weeks ago and they had several each of both 'Blauer Eskimo' and 'Blue Pearl'. In fact, if memory serves me, Bob has pretty large sized 1-gallon pots of both, older and more robust then most online nurseries. I can take pictures of the two I picked up if you'd like.

• clement_2006
    15 years ago

The correct name of Pinus uncinata are "Paradekissen"

and Abies veitchii "Rumburg"

Nice plants.

Clément

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

Pinus uncinata range according to the Gymnosperm Database.
    Europe: Sierra de Gúdar, Sierra Cebollera, Pyrenees, Massif Central, and the western Alps, overlapping widely with subsp. mugo in E Switzerland and W Austria, with outliers as far northeast as the Böhmerwald and the Erzgebirge (E Germany), but absent from SE Europe.

• affliction-acs
    15 years ago

I really like your Ab.mag. Mt.Si.

Nice photos.

Darren

• nwconifergarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

I attached a couple of pics of the garden (early spring) from two different angles. I am working with an average suburban lot, and of course over the year many plants have moved (you don't own it till you've moved it a couple times, right?) and new treasures have been added. Unfortunately I don't have many pictures of the garden as a whole as I tend to get caught up in taking 'catalog shots'.

All of the plants pictured were aquired from a small local nursery that sells their plants at our local farmers market. I believe several of their stock plants are however from Fincham and S&S.

{{gwi:869218}}
    {{gwi:851652}}

• firefightergardener
    15 years ago

Could easily run out of superlatives here. Phenominal should do.

Fantastic use of a smallish space.

• kim_dirtdigger
    15 years ago

Now that's the front yard of a conifer lover!! Fantastic! (You must have a little mower like Dave's.) Very nice mix of conifers and maples.

I love your golden hinokis -- nice pruning. Is that a Pinus thunbergiana behind & to the right of the golden hinoki in the 1st pic? Which cultivar? And (forgive me, I know this isn't the maples forum, but) your Japanese maples are wonderful. What are the 2 large ones, and how old are they? I've never seen them that large in the midwest. Oh to be able to garden in the PNW.

Very nice. If I could ever get my back yard finished I'ld love to do more intensive gardening in the front.

Thanks for posting.

Kim

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

you said:

I am working with an average suburban lot

THERE IS NOTHING AVERAGE ABOUT IT ... super-duper ...

when you get a chance ... get up on that roof.. and get some big overviews... i wouldnt care about being able to focus on any given plant... i would like to see the context... the plan ... the overview ... the concept

regardless.. keep on posting

ken

• firefightergardener
    15 years ago

Kim, if I'm not mistaken, it's two photos of the same area, one from the road, the other from the side yard? I think there's only one large mounding Japanese maple.

A few plants I think I see:

JM: Shaina?
    JM: Sharp's Pygmy?

Cham. Lawson. 'Treasure'?

Japanese Maples are fantastic companion plants for conifers - with their wide range of brilliant colors, delicate form and usually dwarf to mini sizes.

Just an outstanding landscaped property. Something like 1000 square feet and it's a treasure. Wow.

• dredawg5000
    15 years ago

Absolutely breathtaking!!!!!!!!!

• nwconifergarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The smaller of the pines is Pinus parviflora 'Nana' and the larger is Pinus sylvestris 'Mitches weeping'. The large red dissectum is A.P. 'EverRed' it is over 20 years old. That tree and the two Hinoki's I planted when I bought the house and are the only ones I saved when we tore everything out and started over again two years ago. The other maples in the front yard include Goshiki Kotohime, Shaina, Toyama Nishiki, Virdis, Ukigumo, Alpenweis, Ryuzu, Aratama, Corallinum, Carlis Corner Broom, Kamagata and Akita Yatsubusa.

• firefightergardener
    15 years ago

I live relatively close to you(near Gig Harbor), so I was curious if you picked up any of those lovely specimens in person. I'd love to know of some local nurseries that stock rare conifers. I'm especially drooling over

Abies magnifica 'Mt. Si'
    Cedrus atlantica 'Uwe'
    Cedrus libani 'Green Knight'

OFF TOPIC ALERT. lol
    Great selection of maples as well. Most of those, as I'm sure you're well aware, are dwarf in size and shouldn't require much pruning at all.

A few other dwarf maples to take a look at include 'Hupps Dwarf', 'Vics Broom' and Sharp's Pygmy. All of those should stay under 3' tall balls in 10 years+.

• nwconifergarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

FireFighter, all of the trees you listed I bought from Terra Nursery. May thru Oct. at Redmond Farmers Market, you must check them out, their quality and prices will blow you away. (they sell maples too!)It's also fun to chat with some other conifer nuts there.

Some nurseries I visited by you include Portland Street Nursery in Tacoma, and a small funky place between there and stillacom named 'Wild Thyme' Nursery. I believe Oakland Bay Nursery is by you also. If you get up to my neck of the woods, Wells Medina in Bellevue, Wights and Emory's in Lynnwood. Most are a little sparse now, but they all seem to get in new stock for the year around mid february, march.

• jaro_in_montreal
    15 years ago

"Pinus uncinata range according to the Gymnosperm Database.... overlapping widely with subsp. mugo in E Switzerland and W Austriacolor>"

Thanks Blue! ....good to know.