Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprucebud

Picea omorika

sprucebud
15 years ago

One of my favourite species. If anyone else has any nice pictures of this species I would be interested to view.

Picea omorika Treblitzsch in my own garden

Picea omorika Zuckerhut

Picea omorika Aurea in my own garden looking particularly yellow today I thought

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

super!!!

is the second pic your garden.. or a nursery .. if so.. which ...

happy holidays ...

ken

• firefightergardener
    15 years ago

You'll probably get a lot of people to agree with you. I really like true Cedars, Deodara Cedrus and Cedrus Atlantica as well. I think if I had to list my five favorite conifers, they'd probably be:

Cedrus Atlantica 'Saphire Nymph'/'Uwe'
    Deodara Cedrus 'Feelin' Blue'
    Picea Omorika 'Nana'
    Picea Mariana 'Aureovariagata'
    Picea Orientalis 'Chief Joseph'

... to be honest though that's a brutally hard list to make with the next five being

Picea Omorika 'Gotelli's Weeping'
    Abies Koreana 'Gait'
    Picea Sitchensis 'Papoose'
    Picea Omorika 'Bruns'
    Picea Abies 'Witchel'

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The second picture was taken in early August during the British Conifer Society / Dutch Conifer Society tour of Poland at the nursery run by Maria and Janusz Szewczyk. A real highlight of the holiday for me.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

You are not alone in your affections, Serbian spruce has become commercially important as a nursery item and is an RHS (England) Award of Garden Merit plant. In my area we have some nicely shaped specimens but there is a tendency for the lower parts of the tree to be found to have been nade thin by aphids when walked up to. Our comparatively mild climate apparently favors sucking pest buildups to nuisance levels on cold climate conifers such as true firs and spruces.

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

The Picea omorika 'Aurea' looks a bit too yellow to me, usually this plant is only suffused yellow on the upper sides of the needles much like Picea mariana 'Aureovariegata'

• gardener365
    15 years ago

It might be the year here Blue. Mine is golden yellow as well and my Picea mariana 'Aureovariegata' is maybe 1/10 as intense showing it's usual winter color.

The form on your 'Aurea' is incredible. Mine is a shaggy clump. I'm excited in fact I think about it frequently that I'll be planting 25 large seedlings of omorika plus orientalis spruce this spring.

I'll look through some of my photos later to see what I can dig up for ya.

Take care,

Dax

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

Will - Cedrus libani 'Sapphire Nymph' and 'Uwe' are two entirely different plants.

• firefightergardener
    15 years ago

Ya, I just like them both so much(and their kinda similar) that I listed them side by side. I covet 'Uwe' right now, it's on my Christmas list.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH