Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tunilla

Mistery Blue spruce 'Merki'

tunilla
15 years ago

Hi.I got this strange little blue spruce from 'Laurains' nursery in the Champagne region under the name of Picea pungens 'Merki'. I googled-up several pages but all I found was P.abies 'Merki'- quite a different plant and all green. Any suggestions? Thanks . T.

PS:The plant is about 8" tall.

Comments (16)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

Can't help with any plant info, it's all too murky for me. But, on the second picture, are those roots I see exposed around the base of the plant?

tj

• kleckas
    15 years ago

Try to search for Picea pungens Mecki...

• tunilla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi tj. Nice one.What you are seeing at the base are coconut fibres from a round pad wich came with the container.(Kind of matting to slow down evaporation & keep weeds down.) T.

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

Quite the cutie it is! Did you find it? Here's a link to copy and paste:

http://www.nasto-symphonie.de/index.php?Itemid=2&func=detail&id=143&option=com_ponygallery

• mrcircumspect
    15 years ago

Found quite a few pics through Google search -- but no substantive articles. Here's a link to a series of photos:www.tomszak.pl

• tunilla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all.Apparently this cultvar is called 'Mecky'.With a y instead of i .As in Mystery.How on earth did I know this????? T.
    PS It is said to be a dwarf.

• kleckas
    15 years ago

> Apparently this cultvar is called 'Mecky'

MeckI !!!

• tunilla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK Kleckas, I give in . Two against one...no chance. Thanks again!T.

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

"What would Dax do"....is my line of thinking. So checked the ACS database and it's not there.
    Next, to Google;
    154 results for 'Mecki'
    351 for 'Mecky'
    ...you be the judge.

I know it seems like I have too much free time, but recently went "cold turkey" off of craigslist (ouch). Plus still too wet and cold to go outside....

Barbara

• kleckas
    15 years ago

I wrote 'MeckIIIIIiiiii'... and afterwards(!) started thinking - why?

To tell the truth, aprx. one year ago I was investigating this question and made a conclusion - Mecki!

Now I have the problem - to remember WHY I made this conclusion...

Sorry... Kleckas

• tunilla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Our local Blue Spruce expert is conspicuous by his absence.What is going on in those rolling hills of lovely Dorset???
    Don't worry Kleckas, you put us on the right track first time round.
    Thanks for the research,Barbara-we'll find out sooner or later! T.

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

From ACS database: They call it a miniature and later a dwarf??? I don't see dark green foliage in the ACS photo. Color and growth habit similar to yours you posted.

Dave

Index #: 101757
    Botanical Name: Picea abies 'Merkii'
    Plant Patent#:
    Common Name: Norway Spruce
    Origin: Unknown
    Form: Broad Upright or Oval
    Size: Miniature: Color: Dark Green
    USDA Zone: 4 (-30 to -20 F / -34.4 to -28.9 C)
    Description:
    (Distinctive
    characteristics.) An old selection of Norway Spruce which is a dwarf compact irregular pyramid form that often forms multiple leaders with dark green foliage.
    Introduction:
    (Who was first to
    intro and when?) 1884 - Beissner
    Publication:
    (Date and location
    of publications.) World Checklist of Conifers, by Welch and Haddow 1993
    Submitted By:
    (And source info.) (Barger); Robert A. Obrizok - A Garden of Conifers: Introduction and Selection Guide; Second edition (1994); Capability's Books.
    Revision Date: 03/30/2003

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea a. 'Merki'

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Listed by sites appearing to be made in a Slavic country as 'Mecky', as is a Thuja occidentalis 'Mecky'. So it's probably from there.

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

First thing to clear up: are we looking for a Picea abies or Picea pungens?

• tunilla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is without a doubt pungens.The confusion may have arisen because of two very similar cv. names applied to two different species.OR someone mis-read a label somewhere along the line.T.

• kleckas
    15 years ago

>Listed by sites appearing to be made in a Slavic country as 'Mecky', as is a Thuja occidentalis 'Mecky'.

According to W. Erhardt, Thuja occidentalis 'Mecki' was introduced by Kordes Jungpflanzen. They call it Mecki, not Mecky...

Here is a link that might be useful: Kordes Jungpflanzen

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting