Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coniferjoy

My new Picea pungens cultivars corner

coniferjoy
11 years ago

Because of the strange winter we had last year with spring temperatures in January and very cold winter temperatures in February, I had to remove some of my older Cedrus deodara cultivars motherplants.

They were heavy damaged and were to ugly to keep them at my nursery entrance.

Instead I planted some very nice rare dwarf and mini Picea pungens cultivars.

Vieuw of the new planted area

Picea pungens 'Chocen'

Picea pungens 'Daisy Waters'

Picea pungens 'Early Cones'

Picea pungens 'Filip's Good Spirit'

Picea pungens 'JM3C'

Picea pungens 'Krolewski'

Picea pungens 'Mecki'

Picea pungens 'Olo'

Picea pungens 'Porcupine'

Picea pungens 'Regal Chub' ('Charmer')

Picea pungens 'RM 208'

Picea pungens 'RM 250 Special'

Picea pungens 'Volga-Volga'

Picea pungens 'Yvette'

Comments (25)

• Cher
    11 years ago

There are really some great cultivars there. Some I've not seen before so am assuming they are not over here yet. The whole area looks fantastic.
    Cher

• sprucebud
    11 years ago

I think it looks great. An inviting welcome to your nursery. What is the tallest blue spruce we can see?
    Richard

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

super!!!!

do the rocks serve any purpose.. or just decorative???

ken

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Edwin,

Great remodel.

My favorite: 'JM3C'

Ken..."do the rocks serve any purpose.. or just decorative"

Lame question.

About the same as telling the guy how to transplant a conifer. Lame response. LOL

Dave

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

They are adorable!

• thedecoguy
    11 years ago

Great selection. Drooling just looking at them.love the JM3C

• severnside
    11 years ago

Picea pungens 'RM 250 Special' for green & 'Volga Volga' for a metallic sheen are my favourite ones. Superb Edwin!

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 years ago

I'm speechless, Joy. That first pic is just glorious!

Barb

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

me lame.. thats the pot calling the kettle black .. lol ..

when the kids were toddlers .. younger.. i did many things to mark TINY plants.. that might get covered by snow.. so as to avoid having them crush each and every one of them with their snow boots ...

i doubt that is joy's intent ...

and i have also been known .. to place a rock.. under which i have a plant tag ... especially when the tag is twice as big as the plant.. lol ... the rock and the tag go on the north side of the plant. .. for predictability .... and that way i know there is a tag under it .. again ... a kid thing.. in case they pull out the label .. after all.. just about ONLY joy.. can name them on sight ...

but you never know where you might pick up a new garden idea ...

so i asked ... mr smarty pants ...

ken

ps: now he will say.. 'because they look pretty' .. and i will have wasted all this typing.. lol ...

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Ken,

"Mr.Smarty Pants" a name only my wife has the rights too.

Your idea with the rocks is initiative and I would have never thought of that. I guess your one up on me now.

Have a good one.

Dave

• mmajicmann
    11 years ago

edwin, what type of grove is on the other side of the fence in the first picture? your conifers look happy... even though ken would say that is not possible :)

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Nice tour. That's a great idea, a garden (or nusery) area themed around one particular species.

My favorites are 'Daisy Waters' and 'Volga-Volga', and 'RM 250 Special' is really nice too.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Excellent selections, but where is 'Burl'?

Dax

• fotisr
    11 years ago

Beautiful Edwin! I've noticed you have planted other areas of your pinetum with patterns as well. If I remember omorikas together, mugos together etc. I personally like this kind of planting. I liked it in Richard's photos as well, seeing a bunch of omorikas side by side.
    I like 'Porcupine'. Does it stay porstrate?

Fotis

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

A nice entrance and display to what is no doubt one of the best nurseries in all of Europe. Looks like some wood has been flying around a bit! :)

-Will

• fotisr
    11 years ago

I hope I pass this entrance myself before this JM3C is 2 meters tall! lol...

Fotis

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Excellent stuff, indeed!
    I would really like to see 'Olo' introduced to the US soon...

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your nice comments.

Cher, a lot of Picea pungens cultivars were found in the U.S. but also many were found in Europe as well.
    It's possible that some European finds are not availlable in the U.S. yet, but some are on their way to get there...

Richard, the tallest blue spruce in this area is the Picea pungens 'Blue Mountain'

Ken, the ROCKS are for decoration only, you know Picea pungens is the Colorado spruce from the ROCKY Mountains, I'm trying to make them feel at home a bit ;0)

mmajicmann, there's no grove at the other side of the fence.
    Those are pollard willows which are standing on both sides of the road.
    The road is a bit higher up so it's not clearly visuable...

Alex and Fotis, my whole Pinetum area is themed around with one particular species.
    I've done this for cultivars comparison and it's easy for me to which direction I've to go when I need to cut scions for propagation :0)

Dax, 'Burl' isn't around at this moment, may be it will be in a couple of years...

Fotis, the 'Porcupine' is a real tight and very slow growing dwarf.
    I guess my specimen is about 10 years old (20 x 20cm) and comming winter the first scions will be cutt off for propagation.

The 'JM3C' will never get the chance to get 2 metres tall, it will serve as a motherplant and all useable scions will be cut off when the time is there, however it will never be my attention to destroy the shape of this specimen...

On the other hand, untouched it will take at least a 100 years before it will reach 2 metres.
    I guess we will not be around here any longer then ;0)

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

Very very nice corner, Edwin! My favorites - 'Daisy Waters' - because i love it's unusual for pungens pale lime color and 'Filip's Good Spirit' - nice kittenish foliage....

Now, in the winter, I kept thinking about my next Pinetums concept and composition. (Work will begin in the spring:). I had an idea that needs to be planted together the same plant species. Now I see that it really is wonderful. Good looks and also all plants have the same requirements for growth environment.

Although I will not make so big beds. But groups of 3-5 trees. Thanks for the inspiration!

Does not resent that I steal your idea:)))))

Ireena

• gardener365
    11 years ago

How long has 'Olo' been around?

Dax

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ireena, I'm very glad that I gave you some inspiration for your new to build Pinetum.
    Now you have plenty of time to think how to build it, in spring you can bring all this in practise :0)

Dax, the 'Olo' is about 8 years old and is now 15x15cm.
    May be comming winter I can cut off a few scions from this one for propagation, for the first time, boy these will be tiny...

• gardener365
    11 years ago

It's an awesome plant. My question was however, when was it first found and what does its broom shape like? Is there a larger plant to be seen or broom photo?

Dax

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Real nice! You can never have too much pungens, especially the dwarfs.

I've always been partial to the texture and color of Picea pungens 'Mecki'.

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dax, the 'Olo' was found as a seedling in 1994 by Mr. Aleksander Sudra from Poland.

This is the biggest specimen I ever saw of this cultivar.

Photo taken by Zsolt Mesterhazy

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Awesome.

Thanks Edwin and Zsoltster,

Dax