Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blue_yew

Taxodium distichum 'Falling waters '

blue_yew
13 years ago

A specimen of Taxodium distichum Falling Waters one of

the few weeping forms of Taxodium distichum.

href="http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee401/zzf/?action=view&current=DSCN0900.jpg"; target="_blank">

Comments (22)

• cryptomeria
    13 years ago

blue jew,

what is the difference to 'Pendulum' ? I think itôs written ' Fallingwater ' after the Frank Lloyd Wright designed house in Western Pennsylvania.

Wolfgang

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Taxodium distichum 'Falling Waters'(correct spelling!) is very likely to be the same plant as 'Cascade Falls'

• blue_yew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe someone can do a DNA test to see if the two are
    the same.

• cryptomeria
    13 years ago

O.K. thanks Stephen,

I saw ' Cascade Falls ' with a strong upright leader and hanging branches. Different to the shown plant. But maybe it will develop in future??

Wolfgang

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Wolfgang, 'Cascade Falls' needs the leader staked for height also.

• cryptomeria
    13 years ago

Aha, thanks!

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

'Falling Waters' is an U.S. selection found and named by Don Shadow'

'Cascade Falls' is from the Cedar lodge Nursery from new Zealand.

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Edwin, perhaps they are, but that still does not prove that they are different plants IMO, and I certainly would not want both!! in my collection.

• blue_yew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well ive got both so will see.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Stephen, ofcourse these are differend plants, both derives from differend nurseries and from differend World parts.
    Why should Don Shadow change this name?
    He is a plant searcher just like we are, he also found the Picea orientalis 'Shadow's Broom'.

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Edwin, before you start getting on your high horse again!, I did not say Don Shadow or anyone else for that matter has changed the name of this or anything else! ...what I am saying is that it is possible that they are both the same plant...that is just my opinion and I would like to see more evidence that they are different plants, than just your say so...and yes, I am quite aware he found Picea orientalis 'Shadow's Broom'!!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

What evidence is there to suggest that they are the same?

Josh

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

They look the same...but let me make it clear, I'm not saying they are the same, I just think there is a good chance they are, I'm always a bit suspicious when two possibly identical plants turn up around the same time.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Stephen, how higher the horse, the more I can see.
    On the other hand how higher the horse, the harder I can fall off, but I don't mind falling, make's me to what I know now ;0)

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Very good Edwin, I'll send you a set of spurs for Christmas ;0)

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Please include some scionswood of the one's I asked you for.
    Many thanks in advance ;0)

• cryptomeria
    13 years ago

Hi Edwin,

if you are successful with the grafts, please let me know.I will plant them and compare with 'Cascade Falls'.

Thanks

Wolfgang

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

I'll keep that in mind Wolfgang ;0)

Spoke Henk today about both these weeping Taxodiums and also he mentioned that these are differend plants.
    Henk was at Gary Gee's this Autumn and they discussed these plants either.
    The differences are that the 'Falling Waters' is much more winterhardy then 'Cascade Falls'.
    The last one will always have frost damage at Gee's.
    'Falling Waters' does alsohave a nicer weeping habit at an older age.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Guess you won't need that address I just emailed ya ;0)

Dax

• cryptomeria
    13 years ago

Edwin,

my 'Cascade Falls' died in the first winter here some years ago. Maybe you are right. Next year I will try it a second time. But maybe the last time.

Wolfgang

• henksgarden
    13 years ago

Taxodium distichum Falling Waters

Henk

• lou_spicewood_tx
    13 years ago

Looks similar to T. mucronatum 'Sentido' that I planted at my Mom's. It was so floppy, it had to be staked to keep it from laying on the ground. Somehow, it decided to stand up straight without any support. Weepy branches. Looks interesting (finally). Very fast growth.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH