Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Anyone have Picea breweriana 'Emerald Midget'?

whaas_5a
12 years ago

Buchholz lists the needle color as emerald green but the pics online show a bicolor look with a blue cast.

If you have this plant can you please describe the color or even better post a pic?

Comments (6)

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Will, hit the link and you got all the info you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea breweriana 'Emerald Midget'

• maple_grove_gw
    12 years ago

I got mine from Klehm's Song Sparrow. You are right - it is more of a blue-green color then an "emerald" green.

I don't have a picture at the moment, but the picture at the Klehm website (below) is fairly accurate.

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: Emerald Midget at KSS

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Hey, Will. Here are some pictures of my 'Emerald Midget' still very midget-like, being only 8 inches tall.
    The bicolor look is typical of this species. While the top surfaces of the needles are indeed an emerald green, you do see the silver-blue stomatal bands more obviously.
    a picture from this past winter
    {{gwi:682527}}

the new growth it acquired this spring
    {{gwi:613367}}

It should be a very nice dwarf spruce in my opinion!

-Sam

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

Here ya go, from one Will to another.

Two years in the ground, still filling in.

The color and shape remind me a bit of Picea omorika 'Nana' though a bit slower growing and more green perhaps?

Closeup.

-Will

• Mark Wasserman
    12 years ago

Will (whass):

I've been considering acquiring one of these for a couple of years. I have refrained so far because it's not clear to me that breweriana is really suited to Zone 5a. Most of the online info I have found has been from warmer climes (it's native to the PNW).

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Edwin, I did come across that post but I didn't find any useful info. I tried to get info from those in that post but no luck.

To that end, all thanks for the info and the pics!

Wasser, I plan to get one from SongSparrow. They 'typical' won't offer plants that don't perform well in WI zone 5. I figure I give it shot. Looks like a nice little plant with good color.