Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Abies veitchii Photo Gallery 2010

Coming to an end here for cultivars from my garden, is a great looking, rare fir from Japan. Noted for it's shade tollerance , these firs have silvery-white undersides to their needles and give off a great two-toned color. I've heard they also have nice cones though I have not seen any myself. I only have a half dozen plants to share so if you have some nice ones you'd like to add, by all means, please do.

With all the fruckus over the recent photo galleries, I've taken a hard look at these conifer galleries I've helped make. I hope that people don't find them too overwhelming - I've tried to space them apart every 5-7 days and I've always encouraged others to share as well so as to not be a two or three-man show here. Ultimately I hope people have enjoyed seeing some new and/or different cultivars, even if many of my specimens are mere babies. For what it's worth, I do plan on making a 'compilation' of galleries with one link leading to the other 50-60 links I've created through the year. This should at least make things a little more organized while not taking over the forum.

Enjoy!

Abies veitchii 'Heine'.

'Haltern'. A small, almost miniature plant that appears to be a spreading form.

'Hedergott'. I've seen multiple spellings of this(Heddergot, Heddergott), regardless of the name a great silvery mound with upward tendancies in older age.

-Will

Comments (8)

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Will, you have to change the 'Hedergott' into 'Heddergott'
    It's found as a witches'broom by my German friend Werner W�stemeyer in 1986.

Abies veitchii 'Heine' was also found as a witches'broom by Werner W�stemeyer in 1991.

Abies veitchii 'Haltern' is also found in Germany, I don't know the founders name...

Abies veitchii 'Kramer'
    {{gwi:824490}}
    This is also a witches'broom found in Germany by the Kramer Nursery.

Abies veitchii 'Rumburk'
    {{gwi:824492}}
    This witches'broom is found in the Czech Republic and is very differend from all the other Abies veitchii witches'brooms by it's nice silvery blue colour.

• tunilla
    13 years ago

Hi Will. Your galleries are much appreciated by myself and many other gardeners,I'm sure.After all,most of us buy small plants,just like yours,hoping they will "take" and give us much pleasure afterwards.The growers and nurseryman's world is a hard one,full of competition,fair and otherwise.I think it's nice to see what's being grown in other parts of the world,prior to (maybe) becoming a plant for the future.
    There's plenty of room here on the forum.If not interested,please move on.
    Thanks for all the input. T.

• severnside
    13 years ago

FFG,

When your galleries are the definitive source on the net for seeing these specimens? - don't you dare stop! Your pictures and collection are superlative and make a great database.

You seem to have an eclectic taste in containers, I try to vary mine and be sympathetic to complimentary colours somewhat. I guess everything could be in a universal black tub though.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

I guess I'll have to read before looking at photos (or not at all :0)!

Let any ruckus rest... (there is no schedule, fyi).

Regards!

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Will, you showed us your wonderfull conifer collection in which you can be very proud!
    I hope that I helped you several times with the right written names.
    When is your CD ready :0)

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I should have rough-draft CD's in about 2 months(Christmas, give or take a week). Still not sure whether or not to include Japanese maples as many of my maples are very young and very hard to look at!

Abies veitchii 'Olivacae' - Apparently normal growth habit with nice blue cones?

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Will, your 'Olivacea' isn't a cultivar but a natural variety which should be written as Abies veitchii var. olivacea.
    It does have green cones but is no longer distinguished within the species.

• bettyfb
    13 years ago

Will, I am a newbie to this forum, and I am loving the pictures you post--please, the more the better. It is the highlight of my day right now!!!

Betty