Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billb_gw

Taxodium parade

billb
14 years ago

Thought I would give this a try. Not everyone is into these but I think they are cool. All of these are from our collection. I know of another broom I'm hoping to get this winter but it's in a difficult to get to location so we will need to wait to see if it is doable.

Taxodium distichum 'Secrest'

Taxodium distichum 'Schwerin'

Taxodium distichum 'Schloss Herten'

Taxodium distichum 'Peve Yellow'

Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'

Taxodium distichum 'Little Twister' (Found by Dennis Hermsen)

Taxodium distichum 'Little Leaf'

Taxodium distichum 'Hursley Park'

Taxodium distichum 'Geewiz' (Found by Gary Gee)

Taxodium distichum 'Falling Water'

Taxodium distichum 'Crazy Horse'

Taxodium distichum 'Cody's Feathers' (I found this one)

Taxodium distichum 'Cavehill'

Taxodium distichum 'Pendens'

Bill

Comments (17)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    14 years ago

Interesting. Thanks for the labeled pics!

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Nice Bill, must be the best photo I've seen of 'Secrest', also that 'Little Leaf' looks extremely interesting.
    What happened to 'Bizarger' ?

• billb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Steve,

We have two 'Secrest' and this one looks the best by far. It must be in the perfect spot to look so nice. 'Little Leaf' is definitely cool. Damned thing is hard to get though and hard to keep alive. This one has been in the yard for 2 years and just doesn't grow that much. I've grafted them in the past and I think only a few are left, if any. I noticed one was still alive about a month ago but I'm not certain it still is. I think it needs to be in the ground as soon as possible. They don't like pots.

'Bizzarger' is actually Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Bizzarger'. It's still alive but it doesn't grow much. I'm thinking about moving it to see if it would be happier someplace else. I grafted some extras just in case it were to die when moved. Will probably move it next year. I think Darren had a similar selection, I wonder if his does the same thing?

Bill

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Yes, sorry Bill my mistake, it is Metasequoia, must be an age thing with me these days :0)

• billb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We are all going through it my friend.

• kbguess
    14 years ago

Bill,

Thanks for the photos. I also have a couple of questions:

How tall is the standard on your 'Secrest'? Nice looking plant on a standard. I don't like my low graft as much.

Also looks like your 'Peve Yellow' gets full sun. Any worries about sunburn?

Keith

• lou_spicewood_tx
    14 years ago

Awesome. I hope to do similar thing as you did whenever I find a suitable land in east Texas. The advantage of living in warm climate is that I get to plant Montezuma cypress as well. Unfortunately, no dwarf from that one that I'm aware of. It stayed evergreen longer into winter and display "winter" color in Dallas area. In Houston, the bald-montezuma hybrid 'Nanjing Beauty' stayed evergreen and grew over 6 feet of growth this year. Impressive.

I'm going to give dwarf bald cypress trees a try to see if they can handle my high pH soil (I live on limestone rubbles). If not, maybe graft them onto Montezuma cypress or central Texas bald cypress as they can handle high pH with little problem.

• gardener365
    14 years ago

That's the most interesting collection of Taxodium's I've seen.

Thanks a lot.

Dax

• billb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Keith,

The 'Secrest' is on a 30" standard. I have to agree that every low graft of it I have ever seen did not look very good. The difference is remarkable. I've seen then on 4 foot standards and I think that is too high.

The photo above of 'Codys Feathers' is a great example of how a standatd can really change to looks of a plant. It's on a standard and grows in almost a perfectly round ball. When grafted low it grows straight up like a Juniper would.

I have 'Peve Yellow' full sun and it does not burn. I actually moved it this year and that is why it looks so weird. It should be fine next year.

Bill

• blue_yew
    14 years ago

Just to say that I grow

Taxodium asendens
    Taxodium asendens 'Nuttens'
    Taxodium distichum
    Taxodium distichum 'Falling Waters'
    Taxodium distichum 'Peve Mineret'
    Taxodium mucronatum
    Taxodium mucronatum 'Maclaren Falls' The only cultivar
    of T mucronatum that I know of.

I hope to get a Taxodium distchum x mucronatum soon.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    14 years ago

blue_yew-

There's another cultivar of Taxodium Mucronatum called Sentido, a weeping type.

• ltruett
    14 years ago

Link for Sentido.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sentido

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Ewen, if you still don't have 'T.d. 'Cascade Falls', I'll swap you a plant for some material from your 'Falling Waters' and 'Maclaren Falls', if you can spare the material.

• billb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't have 'Cascade Falls' because I can't keep it alive. It dies back every winter here. I know of a few that are growing not too far from me but they are much larger.

I kind of thought that I might hear of some that I do not have but I guess that is not the case. I'm surprised.

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Euan, not Ewen, sorry, definitely must be losing it!

Bill, here's a plant you don't have.
    'Cascade Falls'
    {{gwi:819789}}

• billb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes... Thank you for sharing... >:(

• Plantilus
    12 years ago

I have to choose between a Hursley Park and Cave Hill. I haven't seen them yet so I may decide based on their condition, but can you give me some information about what to expect, size, growth rate and habit for them. There's very little information available.