Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dietzjm

Edelweiss Nursery Finds

dietzjm
12 years ago

I just returned from my second trip up to Duluth, Minnesota this summer. The first time I was up there I happened to stop at a Edelweiss Nursery located up in the hills overlooking Lake Superior. When I asked Joe Braeu, the owner, if he carried any rare/unusual conifers, he told me he has conifers that nobody else in the world has. Needless to say I began to drool...a lot!

Joe spends his winters traveling around the millions of acres of national forest in northern Minnesota looking for witches brooms. He has quite the extensive collection of young grafts that originate here. I bought a few.

Larix decidua "Mighty Mushroom": a broom found just across the border in Wisconsin

Picea mariana "Edelweiss Hwy 4": an extremely miniature plant, very soft needles

Abies balsamea "Gunflint Trail": a light green dwarf broom found near the Canadian border

Picea mariana "Edelweiss Weeping": the mother plant is an upright strict weeper- gorgeous!

Pinus cembra "Edelweiss Select": originated from a species seedling that Joe planted. The needles twist tightly against the stems on the entire plant, with the new growth being most twisted.

More soon,

Matt

Comments (12)

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Awesome stuff, Matt. Thanks for sharing! They'd better get these patented.

-Sam

• dietzjm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And the ones from today:

Abies balsamea "Lakewood": Lime green dwarf

Pinus strobus "North Star Gold": sulfur yellow dwarf

Picea glauca "Scenic Shore": A tight blue-green miniature that produces many little cones at the end of it's stems

Picea glauca "N.C.C. 14": Not sure what the name means, but its a nice green miniature

Abies balsamea "Jorma": a miniature with yellow variegated needles scattered throughout

Enjoy!

• severnside
    12 years ago

Millions of acres, wow, what a playground.

Thanks for the pictures causing resultant relish!

• sluice
    12 years ago

Superior selections!

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Sha diggity

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

I may just need a history lesson...

But with all these witches brooms that are found are they given a name if they bring something new and unique to the table? Or is it that every witches broom is unique and needs to be observed to see what characteristics it takes on?

Thanks for sharing the pics! I'm partial to 'Mighty Mushroom!

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

Drooling! Does he offer plants for trade/sale beyond in-person visits? He clearly has much to offer.

Lucky you!

-Will

• gardener365
    12 years ago

You should only cut from good brooms, whaas. Edwin will say all should be propagated but I happen to disagree, somewhat. You can also see the tight growth on those balsam, glauca and mariana. Good looking, & slow. Slow being key.

Dax

• crypper
    12 years ago

I had the honor of meeting Joe at the ACS conference. He is a really passionate dude when it comes to his conifers. I had the luck of placing a winning bid on an Abies balsamaea 'Jorma' during the silent auction. Joe told me that the guy who found the original broom was Finnish and that he named the plant after his dog.

Here's my Jorma

Matt, you said yours is variegated. Mine is a nice powder blue through and through. I really like its irregular and clumpy look. I like that in a miniature conifer.

Will, I don't believe Joe and Debbie are doing any mail order. I suspect that theirs is a smallish kind of mom-n-pop organization. I do, however plan on making my way out to Duluth if I decide on doing next year's ACS conference in Detroit.

Based on Matt's other pics, Edelweiss in definitely a destination nursery.

~Dave

• dietzjm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Dave,

Its cool to see another "Jorma"! After touring his gardens for 4 hours I may have messed up on the coloration of "Jorma", I'll look back on my notes.
    Like you said, Edelweiss is a fairly small mom-n-pop nursery that carries a variety of trees, shrubs and perennials. Joe collects brooms more as a hobby than as a business. He has an extremely limited amount of each of the grafts that he does himself.
    Will, I do know that he often donates a good amount of his young grafts to ACS auctions, so that would be a good option for you to get your hands of some of these. (Though Duluth does have an airport- haha)

• dietzjm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To Will and anybody else that is interested,

I spoke to Debbie from Edelweiss and she said that they are able to sell and ship some of their very own small conifers to anybody interested (I assume in the US). The only thing is like as I said before, they have a small amount of each graft available. The link to their website is below which has their contact info. Give them a call to see what's available!

-Matt

• dietzjm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It would be helpful to actually supply the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Edelweiss Nursery