Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Pinus contorta Photo Gallery 2010

Summer's coming to an end(don't hate me for saying so!!), and so are the photo galleries I started posting this Spring. A handful still left, and like usual, please feel free to add any cultivars you'd like to share with us.

Pinus contorta 'Chief Joseph'. A remarkable clone and perhaps one of the most coveted conifers on the market. Fairly mundane with green needles and slightly irregular growth(thus the epiteth), it turns *brilliant* shades of gold-yellow in Autumn and holds the color for several months. An absolute beacon of light in a Season where color is rare. This specimen is about 8-10 years old.

Pinus contorta 'Frisian Gold'. A great golden-green most of the growing season, dulling a little in Autumn and Winter.

Pinus contorta 'Taylor's Sunburst'. Like 'Chief Joseph' fairly ordinary with slow growth and small cones but then puts on a show in Spring when the new candles come out yellow and the color stays in the needles for several weeks. Quite a contrast.

Spring.

{{gwi:685790}}

Pinus contorta 'Spann's Dwarf'. An irregular, semi-open plant with short, stubby growth. Eventually turns into a small shrub.

Pinus contorta 'Mt. Hood Marble'. I believe the story goes this varigated clone was found in 1999 on an ACS meeting and tour through the natural forest lands of Mt. Hood. My tiny graft isn't much to look at yet.

-Will

Comments (9)