Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haloperidol

Slight yellowing of Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Green Arrow'

haloperidol
15 years ago

This tree has been planted for about 6 months now and Ive noted what seems to be a more yellow coloring than before. The tips are a bluish green and look good. Does this plant look healthy? Is this normal?

Thanks!

Comments (40)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

looks fine to me....

all recent transplants.. and yours is for this year and next... MAY go through some weird coloration ... perhaps some interior yellowing.. or advanced shedding due to the insult to the root system ..

regardless.. yours shows no such yellowing...

insure PROPER watering... through late fall ... or longer.. based on your zone ...

IMHO .... all the Cham's .... show some level of fall/winter color change .... IF YOU LOOK CLOSE ENOUGH ....

keep up the good work

ken

• karinl
    15 years ago

Green Arrow? Are you sure?

I thought Green Arrow should be pencil-thin.

KarinL

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

'Strict Weeper' is pencil thin.
    Also very thin cultivars are 'Moonshot' and 'Van Den Akker'

There's also a yellow weeper availlable with the name 'Nordkroken'

Btw. I think it's familiar that this species his nothing to do with Chamaecyparis, I prefer now Xantocyparis nootkatensis.

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Even better, Cupressus nootkatensis. Separating the "genus" Xanthocyparis leaves Cupressus polyphyletic.

Resin

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

The 'Nordkroken' is from Sweden, it's a cross between the cultivars 'Pendula' and 'Aurea'.
    There is a second simular one, also found in Sweden but more North up with the cultivarname 'Golden Waterfall'

A third yellow weeping form is found in Oregon, U.S. with the cultivarname 'Boyko's Sundawn'.

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

Cupressus nootkatensis...not official yet???

Probably it will end up being reverted to Cupressus, meanwhile it doesn't seem to have been settled yet. It's a matter of which opinion prevails, gains wide acceptance. Such things often take years. I think this subject matter was well hashed out in a previous thread. Link below.

Yellowing normal... the key is: "The tips are a bluish green and look good" = nothing to worry about. Dieing from tip inward is something to worry about.

"'Strict Weeper' is pencil thin"... up to a point. Many of these cultivars develop a basal skirt. 'Strict Weeping'
    for one.

Dave Cham.n.'Strict Weeper'
    {{gwi:814207}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Nootka Cypress

• pineresin
    15 years ago

"Cupressus nootkatensis...not official yet???"

USDA have!

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Plants Profile: Cupressus nootkatensis

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

"USDA have"!

They are not everybody...

Dave

• jeremywalsh
    15 years ago

Hey there Dave...what is the one by your door? Pretty cool.

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

Hey gardenj76.

Cedrus libani 'Pendula'.

Dave

• pineresin
    15 years ago

"[USDA] are not everybody... "

True (and they don't always have a brilliant track record on European species), but they do know a lot more about what they say than the average Joe Public!

Resin

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Hey Dave,
    Are you sure that Cedrus libani at your picture is the 'Pendula' type?
    Can you make a more closer up picture?
    It looks very differend from the one I have.

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

coniferjoy...Actually should read Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula'.

Same conifer as this in the link.

Resin..."True (and they don't always have a brilliant track record on European species), but they do know a lot more about what they say than the average Joe Public"!

I am sure they do. For me I will just wait until, hopefully, this issue is resolved at the 2011 International Botanical Congress.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedrus l. 'Glauca Pendula'

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Hi Dave - the 2011 IBC only decides on nomenclatural issues, i.e., whether the name Xanthocyparis should be conserved over the name Callitropsis or not. It does not deal with taxonomic issues, i.e., whether Nootka Cypress is best placed in the same genus as Mediterranean Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens, the species by which the genus Cupressus is defined) or in a different genus. The latter is determined by morphological and genetic analysis; on balance, the evidence currently favours placement of Nootka Cypress within Cupressus.

Resin

• firefightergardener
    15 years ago

Dave,

I think the difference in cedars here is:

Cedrus libani 'Glauca pendula' - yours

and

Cedrus libani 'Sargentti' or 'Pendula' - which is coniferjoys weeper. I have both and though they are relatively young are already showing similar growth habits to both of your pictures.

Will

Also, I have a bright gold xxx nootkatensis, named 'Boykos' Sundown' I believe. I'll post an image if there is interest.

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

", the evidence currently favours placement of Nootka Cypress within Cupressus".

No argument here Resin...who, when and where will make the final binding decision for the name change? We are not there yet are we?

Dave

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Dave,

I don't think you have the true Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula'
    I think this because your's doesn't weep enough and the habit is much differend.
    The true 'Glauca Pendula' doesn't form an upright leader and has to be staked always.
    Your pictures shows us also that the sidebranches are horizontal growing, which the true one never does, they are always hanging down.
    Both of your pictures aren't very clear, I mean with this that I can't see the true colour and needleform, can you show us a more detail picture?
    Thanks!

Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula'

Will,
    Especialy for you, this is my Cedrus libani 'Sargentii' which I staked for about 1 meter.
    This one is much differend in needles and habit then the 'Pendula'

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

"Also, I have a bright gold xxx nootkatensis, named 'Boykos' Sundown' I believe. I'll post an image if there is interest."

Silly boy...when do we NOT want pictures...please!

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

To begin with the 'Pendula' I am showing was once a two leader cultivar. I did away with one because of space limitations. As a result one side rather sparse. It is normal for this conifer to have occasional horizontal & pendulous branches which this one does.

Your Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula' doesn't even compare to the above link. Mine is the same as the link. Yours is totally different. Maybe you don't have the true Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula'. The one I have is sold, just like you see it, in many of the nursery's I have visited. I have never saw yours for sale state side any where...not to say it isn't.

At any rate it's not a big deal for me one way or the other.

We all think we have the correct name tag till someone disputes a plant in question. Correct name tag information is an on going problem and something that needs to be dealt with. Right now I am taking notes on cultivars in question but not changing name tags. Anyway... thanks coniferjoy I really enjoy photos of your garden.

Dave
    {{gwi:814215}}

{{gwi:814217}}

{{gwi:814219}}

• tunilla
    15 years ago

Very nice colour ,must say.
    BTW Are we then supposed to call the weeping blue Atlas cedar Cedrus libani 'Atlantica Glauca Pendula'?T.

• pineresin
    15 years ago

"No argument here Resin...who, when and where will make the final binding decision for the name change? We are not there yet are we?"

There isn't a single authority to make such a decision, it is always open to new evidence. Best to follow what the current evidence shows, but be prepared to change if further new evidence makes further clarification possible.

"BTW Are we then supposed to call the weeping blue Atlas cedar Cedrus libani 'Atlantica Glauca Pendula'?"

Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Glauca Pendula'. The italics indicate a natural botanical taxon (in this case Atlas Cedar, I reckon best treated as a botanical variety of Lebanon Cedar), and the 'Capitalised Roman' in single quotes is the name of the selected cultivar.

Resin

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

If american nurseries are selling Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Glauca Pendula' as per Dave's plant then I think they are all selling the wrong plant.

• firefightergardener
    15 years ago

I'll post images of both my

Cedrus libani 'Glauca pendula'

and

Cedrus libani 'Sargentii'

My 'Glauca pendula' looks very similar to Dave's.

Is our/my plant really Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Glauca Pendula' then? It's all pretty confusing.

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

I agree with Bluespruce about the right type of the Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula'
    If Dave show the plant of the U.S. type, they are all wrong.
    The problem here is that a person will buy a plant from a nursery which is mislabeled, start to propagate it and will sell it furthur to another nurserymen or collector and so on and on...
    Please take a look in the Enceclopedia of Van Gelderen en Van Hoey-Smith, then you see the same type as I showed at my picture.

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

Showed this photo not to long ago, this is the correct cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Glauca Pendula'
    Also another good photo in Adrian Bloom's book, 'Gardening with conifers' page 90.

Bill Barger and Jim Smith at Blue Sterling Nursery.

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

What is the name of the conifer in the link.

Do you suppose every grower on the west coast are growing a conifer with the wrong cultivar name. Seems so...

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedrus libani ???

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Looks like a Cedrus deodara cultivar. Ron B (bboy) has frequently commented on these being marketed wrongly as a pendulous C. libani cultivar; on this pic, I'd agree.

Resin

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Dave,

I think the plant you show us in your link and the 3 close up pictures is the Cedrus deodara 'Verticillata Glauca'.
    This explains why it have the sidebranches which are straight horizontal growing here and there.

• kim_dirtdigger
    15 years ago

I have essentially the same plant as Dave's -- Iseli plant tagged Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula'. We've had this discussion before. See Iseli's website, link below, which shows the tree in a more mature state. Obviously a different cultivar than the European cultivar of the same name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iseli 'Glauca Pendula'

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Now I'm for 100% sure that this plant is Cedrus deodara 'Verticillata Glauca'
    I mentioned yesterday that the sidebranches are typical horizontal growing but I ment to say that they are vertical growing as the Iseli picture is showing us.
    Iseli isn't holey in using the right plantnames, nether I'm but in this case Iseli and Dave and Kim Dirtdigger and many others in the U.S. and maybe people in Canada have the wrong plant under the name Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula'.
    Iseli set up it's own trap to mention that it's a vertical form.
    Dave, you must be happy that there are people that will stick there neck out that right plantsnames will be used...

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

Whatever the Iseli plant is called, it certainly is not the plant formerly called Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca Pendula' and now correctly called Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Glauca Gendula'.
    I can't see anything glaucous or pendulous about the Iseli plant.

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

"Dave, you must be happy that there are people that will stick there neck out that right plants names will be used"...

I post photos of my conifers for discussion..There is a lot to be learned by doing this...not only for myself but for others also. I was never aware there was so much confusion regarding plant names. Now I am more confused then ever. What's going on here??? Sometimes I want to argue the point because I can't believe that there is a total disregard for a nursery/grower to misrepresent a what he is selling.

Getting back to my cultivar Cedrus libani 'Whatever it is called'...my conifer has an occasional horizontal branch. All others with a little length will become pendulous. None of the branches have a tendency to kick up and become vertical in growth like the one in the Iseli photo. My plant in no way shape or form resembles that plant. It is planted on the North side of the house with nothing between it and the North Pole. Lowest temperature it has been exposed to is -12F.(-24.44C.). Unusual in itself that it survives and is doing well.

Anyway the discussion has been interesting with all the different ideas as to what it really is.

Dave

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Dave,

First of all, I don't want to blame you or anybody personaly but the point is that a lot of conifers are mislabeld.
    The problem is that many of us are tagcollectors instead of conifercollectors.
    A tagcollector believes everything that's written on the tag and a conifercollector will look at several things like needles, buds, colour etc. and then decided if this is right yes or no.
    This is a learningproces which will take a lot of time but it's also important that people want to learn from eachother and admit mistakes.

Now there's a bigger problem with your mislabeled Ceder going on, your's is not the same as the one from Iseli but both called Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula'.
    In my eyes both have nothing to do with Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula' but are Cedrus deodara cultivars.
    Can you trace back where you received your plant from and asked this person what the situation is?
    I think it's very important to know the right plantsname before you start propagating it...

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

Coniferjoy...thanks...I don't want to mislead anyone...just so you all will know I am strictly a collector...I am not in the business of propagating anything. I quit that 30 some years ago.:>)

I found the tag and it is called Cedrus libani'Pendula'...no glauca and no growers name. I will check with the nursery and see if he can recognize the tag.

Dave

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

I have just noticed on my last post - Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Glauca Gendula'! must be a new cultivar - does anyone have a description please ??

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

boy .. the poor person who started this post about green arrow.. must just be loving this endless discussion of the cedrus names and plants ...

talk about a hijack ... lol ...

i dont care either way.. just pointing it out ...

hopefully will will post his pix in a new post.. because i have been dying for a byoko's for at least 5 years ... and want to see a picture of it ...

ken

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Dave,

I have very good news for you because I found out looking trough all the coniferbooks I have what your plant realy is:
    Cedrus DEODARA 'Glauca Pendula'
    I found a picture at this book Conifers for gardens written by Richard L. Bitner which shows a plant similar to yours with also these horizontal growing side branches.

The plant at Iseli's is the Cedrus DEODARA 'Verticillata Glauca'

End of story (I hope).

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

Thanks coniferjoy for resolving this issue.. I will re-tag plant.

Dave

• tunilla
    15 years ago

Well er...I may have been responsable for at least part of the confusion.I asked a question about Cedrus atlantica whilst Dave and CJ were discussing C. libani. That was only to find out what the first one is supposed to be called in it's blue pendulous form.The reason for that question is the unbelievable assortment of namecombinations that have arisen since C. atlantica was 'downgraded' as either a subspecies,variety or even synonym of C. libani in various plantlists or catalogs.As there are pendulous forms in both 'species' ,one can imagine that things do get mixed up.
    As an example, Laurains nursery in France lists the weeping blue Atlas Cedar as Cedrus libani 'Atlantica Pendula Glauca'.Further down they list C.libani 'Pendula'.
    BTW I seem to remember Esveld nursery has a nice picture of 'typical' weeping Lebanon cedar.T

• firefightergardener
    15 years ago

So how about those yellowing Nootkatensis? LOL

sorry for the hijack...(Thanks Coniferjoy for the correction)

and I tend to agree, the coloring is fine. Some unusual colors in winter seems pretty common amongst the Chamacyparis/Nootkatensis line.

I keep forgetting to post my 'Boyko's Sundown'. Maybe tomorrow - I am at work tonight.

Will