Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ireena_7

My mysterious purchase

ireena (zone 5-6)
11 years ago

Hi!

Last weekend I was visited one of the local tree nursery. I was interested in one Picea omorika - 'Fassei'. It looked like Pendula or Pendula Bruns, but the needles were longer and coarser shoots. At home I started to look in books and on the Internet but did not find that name anywhere. I found similar name only in a few nurseries lists - on my country. Of course, it bothered me, and today I went there again. Seller said that it is their grafts, but did not know from which country it comes. And of course, I bought this plant :) I was intrigued that no one knows anything about it, and I like the interesting tree shape too. Perhaps the name is not correct, but this is one of our country's official and certified nursery, I would have to believe in. Maybe someone something knows about this plant?

Ireena

Picea omorika 'Fassei'

Comments (15)

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

What qualifies a nursery to be legally certified and official? Just curious.

Picea omorika 'Fassei'

Stanley & Sons has sold it but I see nothing now.

I am sure Mesterhazy Zsolt would have information on this cultivar. Possibly a hybrid. I think it originated from Germany.

Dave

• pineresin
    11 years ago

"What qualifies a nursery to be legally certified and official? Just curious"

I'll guess it's to do with plant health, things like certified free from sudden oak death and other notifiable diseases.

Resin

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi!

Thank you for the info, Dave! At least something :).

About he nursery - maybe I did not know how to formulate properly... (ohh, my english:)))

On their website I read this -

"VML - The Latvian national forest owner, a leader in the Baltic Sea region an effective and innovative management of forest lands.

Seed production is managed 513 ha of pine, spruce 152 ha and 33 ha of other tree species plantations.

The company has 9 nurseries in the market able to offer more than 38 million. forest tree seedlings a year. The company manages the Arboretum Kalsnava or interesting tree garden, and offers customers more than 600 different kinds of ornamental plants."

"Kalsnava arboretum is the largest collection of decorative trees and bushes in the eastern part of Latvia. It offers excursions, consultations about growing and breeding of trees and bushes, an opportunity for students to acquire professional knowledge in forestry, biology and landscape architecture as well as to receive advice on landscape modelling.

Kalsnava arboretum (collection of trees, bushes and lianas where long-term observations are made on development of trees, suitability for a definite climate, production and multiplication of seeds) is located 150 km southeast from Riga in Jaunkalsnava, Madona region.

The establishment of arboretum was started in 1975. Its total area is 130.37 ha, plantings of trees and bushes are arranged in 98.6 ha. "

If someone is interested, send a photo from their site. -

Ireena

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Ireena,

Very nice. Your explanation very concise.

You can email Zsolt. Available on any of his Broom Universe posts for more information about Picea omorika 'Fassei'.

Dave

• gardener365
    11 years ago

I checked Zsolt's database and he has no description. He only says it exists (listed: Stanley & Sons, USA).

Sorry Ireena, no luck yet.

Dax

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your answers!:)
    The description I can get in our local nurseries websites. I am just interested in whether it exists. In any event, I'm happy for my purchase. It will be interesting to see who will come there. I promise to send pictures when it grows.

Ireena

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

My research is bringing me to the following info:
    Picea omorika 'Fassei'
    Found in 1929 by Mr. Schwerin from Germany.
    Another name for this cultivar is Picea omorika 'Borealis'
    which is probably a cross with Picea abies.

The photos are showing us typical Picea abies needles with a blueish colour of the Picea omorika...

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

Picea omorika are availlable in your country ?
    It's a rare plant.
    Clement

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Clement, I think you're trying to say that the cultivar 'Fassei' is a rare plant.
    The species Picea omorika are not rare in Latvia...

Ireena, could you bring me a 'Fassei' when you'll visit me some day?
    Many thanks in advance!

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Edwin for interesting info! I found only info, that it's grow till 8 m:) and have conical shape...

Clement, on my country Picea omorika is a common plant. Of course, some cultivars are rare among us too. I have Picea omorika 'Pendula', Pendula Bruns', 'Nana', 'Zuckerhut', 'Peve Tijn' and 'Karel'. Now 'Fassei' too. (or Borealis:)

Ireena

Here is my favorite - Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn'-

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Of course, Edwin, I will be glad to share with some rare plant:) I really wonder, that something will be rare for you!:)) It is good, that conifers relatively well tolerated transportation. I already planing my car tour for next summer:) I will choose a route from Austrian or Italia through Netherlands:))) Maybe you are interested in something else from my collection? Unfortunately, I have not yet completed my plant list - I share my time between main work and the garden. I've launched now a large transplant. I need to make new beds - destroyed lawn ... again ... :) Right now wether are cool and moist, and it will be some 2-3 months. Plants has time to take root well before winter. Of course, I don't transplant large trees and also this summer purchases. But the work is enough - evenings are shorter, but during the day I can work.

Sorry, that was not always able to answer immediately - but I'm not at the Net all the time.

Best regards,
    Ireena

• kleckas
    11 years ago

My Picea omorika 'Fassei' (purchased in Latvia 4 years ago):

photo hosting

photo hosting sites

photo storage

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, Kleckas!

Nice omorika! Do you staking it? My 'Fassei' is very hooked now... And I read about that it will grow with bushes habit...? Yours are very narrow.

But I lowe it's upright branches a lot. This is only the second picture, what I see on the internet.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Kleckas, thank you very much for these nice pics of a bigger 'Fassei' specimen...

• kleckas
    11 years ago

The only description I have is similar to Edwin's:

"A form of Borealis with a broad base and horizontal young branches. Possibly a hybrid" (den Ouden/Boom).

For my plant, no staking was needed, but initially it was veird and/or ugly :)

Kleckas