Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texjagman

Gold Pine Comparison

texjagman
13 years ago

I wanted to compare three winter golden pines....Louie, Chief Joseph and Gold Coin.

Mainly I wanted to compare growth rates, whether one was traditionally considered a brighter gold than the others, and did any one hold its gold color longer into the warmer spring temps than the other two?

thx to any who respond.

Mark

Comments (14)

• monkeytreeboy15
    13 years ago

In my opinion, 'Chief Joseph' is the most spectacular in the winter. It has the best contrast between the gold color in the winter and the green color in the spring/summer.
    However, Pinus strobus 'Louie' holds its gold color throughout the summer much more than 'Chief Joseph'.
    I don't know much about Pinus sylvestris 'Gold Coin', but I do know that the gold color of these pines is largely determined by how cold it gets. It seems the colder it gets, the golder these pines turn.

-Sam

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Hi Mark,

Chief Joseph carries it's color (additionally early on prior to winter) and it stays golden into spring where there's a short gap (2 weeks? maybe) as it goes to a light, almost blondish green, and then the buds open to a rich-colored-green. ...it grows very slowly. At 20 years old it could be 10-12 feet. I'm not sure it's a candidate for Texas... someone else, maybe you, would have to figure that out.

Gold Coin is no different in absolute peak-brightness to the larger growing 'Aurea'. Gold Coin may be 4-6 feet at ten years. It's extremely dense and has a very tight pyramidal cone-shape.

Pinus strobus Louie I've never come across.

Here's Pinus strobus Hillside Winter Gold at the US National Arboretum growing in grey and dusty dry clay soil.

Pinus strobus Golden Candles growing in shade. Looks sickly. In sun, this is a beautiful pine.

Dax

• sawemoff
    13 years ago

Live near Dallas and have 2 chief joseph's growing. So far so good. Made thru this last summer which was pretty brutal so hope it is going to thrive here.

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Heya Mark,

There are other gold pines to consider as well unless you're limited to those three. There's no question that 'Chief Joseph' is the best of the three but the other two have good points as well and are worthy choices. I think 'Gold Coin' grows quite a bit faster then 'Chief Joseph' which is a very slow growing dwarf(3-6" a year).

Hopefully I can get some photos out soon - they're changing to gold pretty quick here.

-Will

• texjagman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Based in large part to Dax's description I went with Gold Coin at the time. I'm liking it so far. I know Chief Joseph is thought to be the dwarf "gold standard" ( no pun intended ) but people ask so much for them. And we are at such risk of losing pines quickly in this area due to the wilt I just hated to invest that kind of money with such a high risk of losing it.

So I thought if I can get the same basic look in my garden with another easier to attain varietal I would. But who knows....you know we always come back and keep adding anyway so I'm sure at some point one will appear.

mark

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Mark, let's see some photos of your garden! I know you've acquired some nice plants - I was there when one was selected!

• severnside
    13 years ago

I have a Pinus mugo 'wintergold'. It's just starting to turn gold in from the tips. I love it, great form and the needles are regular and robust so viewing from a distance is good with the dark stems showing through them.

Do I understand that this is a different specimen to the 'Carsten's Wintergold'?

It was less than half the price of a 'Chief Joseph' and yes, I also get an anxiety about survival with high price plants that does weigh a little on enjoyment.

• bunkers
    13 years ago

My gold coin had the best color last winter ... and I really liked how early it turned golden. Mine is still small and from Greer.

{{gwi:644110}}

Another favorite was Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Golden Mop' ... which surprised me by staying a stunning yellow all summer long ... and really a summertime show stopper.

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Because I have the photo to share today:

Pinus contorta 'Chief Joseph'. Early Autumn and the color change has begun. Will get brighter as the Winter becomes colder.

-Will

• severnside
    13 years ago

First attempt pic of pinus mugo 'Wintergold' starting to turn.

{{gwi:806922}}

• abciximab
    13 years ago

Central Arkansas. Fall slowly trying to set in. Day temps still unseasonably in 80's, nights droping into high 50's lower 60's. First rain today in 30 days or more. This summer was brutal! My yellow pines are starting to turn. My heat and humidity might be similar to your Oklahoma climate Mark.

Pinus sylvestris 'Gold Coin'

Pinus contorta 'Chief Joseph'

• severnside
    13 years ago

^^^That's a gun of a Gold Coin, beautiful specimen.

• severnside
    13 years ago

Pinus mugo 'Carsten's Wintergold'
    {{gwi:806927}}

• baxswoh
    13 years ago

A note on the Pinus Strobus Golden Candles that had the picture posted. Mine are quite green now. As noted the shade/sun will make a diffence in color. However, I get a very nice change in bark color for the winter. One & two year old wood turns a nice orange gold in my climate. The new growth in spring is electric yellow here and lasts for about six weeks. I like the dual seasonal interest and wonder why this tree isn't more widely grown. Perhaps it is outpermarmed in other parts of the country, but it is a winner in the Ohio River valley.