coniferjoy

Weeping Chamaecyparis obtusa

coniferjoy
11 years ago

Someone ever saw one of this species?

Comments (27)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Nope. Still waiting for a weeping Pinus parviflora here, but, it doesn't exist.

Dax

• barbaraincalif
    11 years ago

A Google search finds Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Walters Weeping' which looks to be seed grown. Many of the cultivars droop gracefully (that you already know) but have I've never seen a strict weeper either. Let me know when you find one!

Barbara

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Not precisely a 'weeper' but C. obtusa 'Alaska' comes close.

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm, well then I've some breaking news:
    I found one and it even has a golden colour...

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Filip's Golden Falls'

• barbaraincalif
    11 years ago

Will you tell us the story behind this beautiful find?

Thanks!
    Barbara

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Nice plant! Looks great up against the hedge. Please do share the story.

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

But it's staked. Will it stand on its own after main leader has taken a set?

Dave

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The story behind Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Filip's Golden Falls':
    7 years ago I cut scions of my Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Cripsii' and sent these to a collegue nurseryman for grafting.
    A year later I received all the good one's back but 3 of them were differend because of a coarser foliage, way differend then the motherplant.
    My first tought was that they were mixed up with Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Goldregen' but after some research this wasn't the case.
    The 3 "differend one's" were potted up and grew at a separeted place at my nursery for observation.
    The second year I noticed that all the side branches started to weep but I payed no furthur attention to them.
    The following years I potted these over into a bigger pot and the weeping habit remains and the 3 specimens became more beautiful by the year.
    Last year I decided to let it grafted for the first time and the first 100 scions were taken, 80 of them were successful propagated.
    Last week it was the second time that I took 100 scions again, but just before doing this job I took some pics first.

Also my research didn't bring me to another weeping form of this species, so I guess this is the first one with a nice golden colour as well.

Dave, all of my upright growing plants will be staked at my nursery, most of them will also be delivered staked because I deliver conifers in a uniform quality
    Also my new one's were staked all the time, that's why they're looking this way at the pic.
    One of the 3 specimens will be planted in the garden this Fall and the stake will be cut loose, I'm pretty positive that the leader will grow upwards by itself.
    If it don't , then I'll stake it to my desired height which will be about 4 metres.
    Will be continued...

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

I love the way in which you revealed your discovery, Edwin!
    It looks like a nootka almost--very narrow!

You could send me one if you want.. ;-)

Thanks for sharing your photo.

-Sam

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Good stuff Edwin!

I hope it grows upright with no stake. Much preferred!

Dax

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think the 'Filip's Golden Falls' is a good addition to the Chamaecyparis obtusa assortment. For a change it's differend then all the little green dwarfs of this species :0)

• zsolti_hungary
    11 years ago

That's a number one platn, Edwin! It's a pleasure to meet with a new plant on the market.

• barbaraincalif
    11 years ago

At first glance one could easily assume it's a Chamaecyparis lawsoniana, if only because I too am accustomed to the tighter foliage of most mini and dwarf cultivars of Chamaecyparis obtusa. After looking through my conifer books yesterday during lunch (my idea of fun!) the closest I found and described by van Gelderen and van Hoey Smith are:

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Grayswood Bronze'. Not unlike 'Crispii but faster growing and slightly more pendulous.

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Youngii'. The foliage is soft yellow, and the habit is like that of the species. Their photo of this one especially resembles yours.

Does Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Filip's Golden Falls' bronze out in the winter as these two are said to do?

Barbara

• sluice
    11 years ago

It looks very nice, Edwin!

What type of conifer hedge is in the background?

• dietzjm
    11 years ago

What a great addition, Edwin. Now you must work on releasing your Filip's collection in the U.S.!

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Zsolt, thanks for your great compliment to this new conifer.
    Please, don't forget to add it to your Conifer Treasury files :0)

Barbara, the 'Filip's Golden Falls' is much more weeping then the 'Grayswood Bronze' and 'Youngii', these are only pendulous in the upper parts.
    It's to bad that I didn't took a pic before I cut out the scions of the middle part last yeart, otherwise you could see why I used the golden falls part in it's cultivar name.

The 'Filip's Golden Falls' does have a golden foliage all year, no bronze colour in winter time.

Nate, the hedge conifers are Thuja plicata 'Atrovirens'.

Matt, I do my very best to release my Filip Collection in the U.S.
    The first one is released yet: Thuja occidentalis 'Filips Magic Moment'.
    Liners are availlable since last month at the Spring Meadow Nursery in Michigan.

• zsolti_hungary
    11 years ago

Edwin, you know we live both with the same name, and we both live in Hungary but we are not the same person... :) Or this was the joke? :)
    Zsolt, Mesterhazy will add the plant to CT file I'm sure, he is obsessed with conifer literature...
    I think I will add this plant to my collection in the future. My weeknes are the golden weepers no matter what species.

• severnside
    11 years ago

If is wasn't staked could it be used as a cascade?

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Zsolti, I made a mistake.
    I thought that you were our "Conifer Treasury Friend".
    Next time I'll look better :0)
    Thanks for your nice comment!

Severn, like I told before, I think it will be an upright grower if unstaked, but I'm not completely sure.
    Next year I'll test this and will check it's true growing habit.
    A cascade growing habit could be interesting, but I hope it will grow like a true golden falls.
    To be true I also had the cultivar name 'Golden Cascade' in mind, but may be I can give it to another selection of mine in the future :0)

• longaeva54
    11 years ago

Nice plant ,but why Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Cripsii being grafted ,they easily root.

• jth97381
    11 years ago

I like to graft on to Thuja occidentalis. Better roots, and stronger initial growth that will level out. Can handle more soil types than on its own obtusa roots.

• coniflora
    11 years ago

Edwin, I am surprised that you are grafting Chamaecyparis this early?

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Longaeva54, I know that the 'Cripsii' is rooting very easily but taken big scions I'm to steps ahead in the growing proces...

jth97381, I never heard about grafting Chamaecyparis obtusa on to Thuja occidentalis.
    Are you doing this by yourself and do you also have good experiences over a longer time with older plants, I mean 5 years old or longer?

Coniflora, all is a matter of time if you're grafting a big variety of conifers.
    I prefer to graft the "softer wood" conifers before winter will begin.

• barbaraincalif
    11 years ago

Edwin,

Your last post answered several questions I had too.
    What understock do you use for Chamaecyparis obtusa?

Barbara

• jth97381
    11 years ago

I just started to get into the obtusa's. This will be the first year I finally have understock of T. occidentalis. Tried by seed for years, but poor results in the field. Last year I potted up some rooted cuttings of 'Pyramidalis' that will be ready in the winter. But this isnt anything new for the Nursery industry in the United states. Many nurseries are now grafting most varieties of their obtusa in order to ship to more locations. Also faster to market. I have seen rows of them in the field, and larger ones in the landscapes of those nurseries. Works great, and there doesnt seem to be any compatability issues at least after 15-20 years. Also nice for grafting dwarf varieties on standards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Understock compatabilities via Coenosium

• longaeva54
    11 years ago

I have been grafting Chamaecyparis obtusa on understock of Thuja occidentalis for more than 20 years. Roots of T. occidentalis are winter hardy than roots of Chamaecyparis lawsoniana.

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In The Netherlands we mostly use Chamaecyparis lawsoniana as a understock for the faster growing Chamaecyparis obtusa cultivars.
    It's very good to know that Thuja occidentalis understock is also useable for grafting Chamaecyparis obtusa cultivars.

For the slower growing forms of Chamaecyparis obtusa we use Chamaecyparis pisifera understock.
    This is because to avoid the root rot problem which Chamaecyparis can have but also Chamaecyparis pisifera will not as thick as fast as Chamaecyparis lawsoniana will do.