Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Hobbiton conifers of the week, August 9th

My last set of weekly photos from my garden, as Summer peaks out here in the Pacific Northwest. Hope you've enjoyed these small galleries of the the plants we all love.

Pinus uncinata 'Braska' (San Sebastian WB #3)

Picea omorika 'Tijn'

Pinus parviflora 'Billie' - Offcolored?

Picea omorika(crossed with?) 'Wodan' - A strange one with tufted needles.

Cunninghamia lanceolata 'Glauca' - Very blue and thus far, hasn't gotten too ratty, which they can tend to do with age.

Closer.

Picea abies 'Dandylion' - Bob Fincham's Golden seedling #13, this bright-gold beauty is taking a more upright form and seems to be putting on about 4-5 inches of growth a year.

Pinus sylvestris 'Gold Medal' - Very bright gold in Winter surrounded by the crimson red of these heather 'firefly'.

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Ellwood's White' - Seems to be losing it's varigation, I presume this means it's reverting? Edwin?

Pinus parviflora 'Tanima No Yuki'

Larix larcina 'Smurf'

Acer palmatum 'Ven's Red'

Pinus thunbergii 'Aocha-matsu'

Closer.

Picea omorika 'Tremonia' - About 8-10 years old.

Pinus strobus 'Sea Urchin' - One of the best!

Pinus thunbergii 'Ogi-matsu' - One of the strangest pines I grow.

A landscape shot: Coneflowers, conifers, maples, heathers and other perennials form a chaotic blend of texture and color, year-round.

-Will

Comments (14)

• severnside
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No one comes close. You have a uniquely wonderful garden.

That Pinus uncinata 'Braska' is just perfect, if I had only that one I'd be happy.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Thanks again, Will. And, yes, I have enjoyed these weekly posting.

tj

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

So sad to see them end. These were such a great highlight every week. I never get tired of looking at your yard. There's always something new and beautiful to find in every inch of your mosaic garden. Hats off to you Will.

Now I'm a pesky fan with a request. Because there has not been a Cedrus gallery for 2012 yet and you have so many wonderful Cedrus, would you be so kind as to start us off with a few if you get a chance. I'm particularly interested to see what your Cedrus atlantica 'Cheltenham' looks like this year. I just ordered a 2 gallon for fall planting and I can't find much of any information on this cultivar. I'm really anxious to see what it may look like and what it's growth rate is like for you so far. Even if it's still a stick. =) If your busy no worries. Thanks!

Garen

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the kind words, gents, I have had fun doing it and it can give newer collectors some plants to look for. I know my plants are still small but they're getting there, one year at a time.

Garen, I'll be glad to start a cedrus gallery, in fact, I have been going alphabetically so far and just about to do cedars myself, so this won't even be any extra effort for me. I have two specimens(read: sticks), of 'Cheltenham', and I'll be sure to show both, even if they aren't much to see yet! Hopefully I can contribute and revive a few galleries as I take photos throughout the end of Summer and Autumn.

Cheers!

-Will

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Will, thanks for your posting.
    Your gardens look fantastic all year round!

Some comments to your pics:
    Picea omorika 'Tijn'
    Must be written as 'Peve Tijn'
    I guess you're aware of this info...

Picea omorika 'Wodan'
    I've it listed as Picea omorika x Picea breweriana 'Wodan'
    This cross was made by the Wittbold-Mueller Nursery from Germany.

Cunninghamia lanceilata 'Glauca'
    I see your specimen developed a leader.
    Now you can prune it's long side shoots away so the shape will be a nice pyramidal.

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Ellwood's White'
    Yep, your specimen does have several reversions.
    This can happen to every variegated plant, please get rid of those and prune them, otherwise the green parts will take over and in a few years the variegation will be disappaered...

Pinus parviflora 'Tanima No Yuki'
    Must be written as 'Tanima-no-yuki'.

Larix laricina 'Smurf'
    I never came across this one, please can you give us some background info about it?
    Is it a seedling selection or discovered as a witches' broom?

• Cher
    11 years ago

Love that Braska and Tanima-no-yuki. As always I appreciate seeing some of your wonderful acers. Your landscape photo is fantastic with all the extra blooms in there this summer.
    Cher

• sluice
    11 years ago

Will, thanks for posting the Wodan pic. Looks great!

And Edwin, thanks for the additional information on this plant.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Will, Always a pleasure to see your gardens! Thanks for putting forth the effort. Your last foto is 5 stars!
    AL

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Nice, I love the scots pine exploding out of the heather, that's real drama! Would love it if you could post a winter picture side-by-side with this one for the color comparison, next winter or whenever. 'Wodan' is also really nice.

I'm sad to hear this is the last edition for this season. These threads have been quite educational, and many of the selections you've showcased have been added to the wishlist. I often wonder to what extent pictures posted here impact on demand for particular selections. Often find myself wondering the same thing about dsteg's threads. Thanks so much for taking the time to share, Will, your gardens are truly an impressive achievement!

Alex

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again for all of the kinds notes - it keeps me sharing my photos and plants with fellow collectors and gardeners.

Edwin, I am pleasantly surprised you didn't lash me at all - I made some errors that you've fixed before but alas, I did this gallery from work where I don't have my accurate database files. I tried to use google to help me along in the corrections but wasn't able to make them all right. Thanks for the info as well regarding 'Wodan'.

I will ask the collector I traded 'Smurf' from if he knows of it's source. He's a newer collector/nursery owner from Oregon.

Cedar gallery coming soon Garen! :)

-Will

• Windhaven
    11 years ago

Truly beautiful gardens. I LOVE all the color and variety and look forward to your updates. Keep them coming!

Robyn

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

Yipeee! Thanks Will. Your the best.

• Windhaven
    11 years ago

Truly beautiful gardens. I LOVE all the color and variety and look forward to your updates. Keep them coming!

Robyn

• davidtree
    11 years ago

Your conifers and gardens look great and you kept excellent records so the rest of us know what to look for, keep up the photos.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES