Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dansgrdn

'Gold Drift' unbound

dansgrdn
10 years ago

I got this Picea abies 'Gold Drift' from Bob Fincham in 2004 as a 1 gallon plant. I restaked it every year since and it now stands just over 9 feet tall. Yesterday the bonds came off and it's on its own.

Dan

Comments (11)

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

Me too Dan, me too.

Mine was bought a little larger and a little later, courteously of Jim Boyko. I let it go last Fall, though I am planning on arching it over the path. Living trellis's are always fun to walk under.

-Will

This post was edited by firefightergardener on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 14:43

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gorgeous Will! Wonderful composition with the surrounding plants too. Love it!

Dan

(Here's mine a little earlier in the year when it was still staked)

This post was edited by dansgrdn on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 15:50

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

LOL!! Got mine last year from Bob as well, as a small 1G starter, unbound to begin with and so far only maybe 6" tall. Good thing, as I intend this to be a container plant (as is 95% of the rest of my garden). But it has spread very nicely and is now about 16" across.

I picked this guy especially after seeing in place at Coenosium , as Bob is growing one of his exactly the way I wanted mine to grow - as low spreading, groundcover-like "golden drift".

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Dan and Will you both have some fine looking trees.

Mine is just about a foot tall, also bought as a one gallon.

tj

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a young one that I'm letting grow like that too gg48. Figure that way I'll have the best of both worlds :)

thanks tj

Dan

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Dan, I think your's will grow upwards to the sky from now on.
    Your's is one of the most beautiful specimens of this cultivar I've ever came across.

Pam, I know exactly what you mean about the low spreading growing habit.
    I also saw this one in Bob's garden which is a real beauty.
    After I saw this I decided to grow both growing habits here at my nursery.
    By growing them this way I'm making a difference to other growers, because 99% of the specimens we see are staked...
    {{gwi:640944}}

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

You folks are putting me over the edge.....this ones going into the 'must have category'...great photos!

Al

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Nice plants, all three of you. This has got to be one of the most interesting cultivars of Picea abies out there, a fact which is well illustrated here. I also have a 1 gal 'Gold Drift' which I'll be planting in the fall, and you've thoroughly confused me as to which form I like best :o0

The two that were staked look significantly different, with Will's adopting a very narrow form, more strictly weeping, while Dan's seems to be more spreading with a wider footprint. Both look fantastic, and I was wondering if either of you took any specific cultural practice (beyond simply staking) to promote the look?

Alex

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Edwin, Al and Alex.

Alex, mine was just staked and not pruned. My guess is that the terminal portions of the lateral branches were pruned off of Will's as it grew (and most likely used as scions by the grower). If you look closely, you can see the height he got it at, which is about 2/3 of the way up. From that point on it is slightly wider and will continue to get wider as it grows unless it is pruned.

Dan

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Edwin, that's exactly the plant that caught my heart!! It was still in its spring coat of gold and was absolutely breathtaking. I can only hope mine will develop into a similar form, constricted like it is by being in a container (it's a big, wide container, tho :-))

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    10 years ago

My 'Gold Drift' is first summer in my garden - still in the pot. I got it from Jorg Kohout with root ball this spring. This plant was whithout leader and stake... Now I try to choose one probably leader. But I saw that unstaked plant is so nice too....

It seems to me, yet it is in stress, as the rootband soil was very hard and clay, but my soil is light sandy-turf... But it seems to me that all will be OK - next spring all will be better, I hope...:)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor