Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Pinus sylvestris Photo Gallery 2010

Another pine species I have some photos to share. If you'd like to show some of your cultivars please feel free.

Pinus sylvestris 'KBN Gold Sport'. Nifty compact pine with some gold hues in Spring. Mine only gets about 4-5 hours of direct sun a day. Perhaps brighter in full sun.

'Inverleith'. A bright white, varigated pine. The new needles spring forth very bright white. A great look.

'Gold Coin'. Very bright gold in Fall/Winter, it's hues slow fade to a chartruese-green by Summer.

'Nisbet Aurea'. I believe this name was changed or spelled wrong, I saw something about it recently. Also fairly gold/yellow in Winter.

'Calle'. One of several near-miniatures, this fine pine is almost ten years old - amazing since I bought it new from Coenosium Gardens two years ago.

'Jeremy'. Also very small, this distinct small dwarf grows a couple inches a year once established.

'Little Ann'. A real small dwarf, also pushing 8-10 years old.

'Hrock'. A true miniature, pushing 'ultra-miniature' size of about 1/2 an inch a year. Seemed like THOUSANDS of little candles came rushing out of this little gem this Spring then pushed as hard as they could into a super-tight, choice green bun. That's acer palmatum 'Hupp's Dwarf' next to it, about 7-8 years old and fits in perfect together.

A closeup on the miniature branches.

-Will

Comments (43)

• rispetto
    13 years ago

Few sylvestris from my collection

{{gwi:777431}}
    Bialogon

{{gwi:777433}}
    Ksawerow

{{gwi:777436}}
    Miba

{{gwi:777439}}
    Vargguld

• mesterhazypinetum
    13 years ago

Dear rispetto!
    I guess You show polish conifers, isn't it?
    Zsolt

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

'Miba' isn't from Poland, it's a Dutch witches'broom found by Piet Vergeldt from Lottum.
    The true name is 'Pevé Miba'

'Nisbet Aurea' must be written as 'Aurea Nisbet' which is the original name.
    Some write it as 'Nisbet's Golden' which is ligitimate because this cultivar is found after 1959.

'Zoelen'

'Pixie'
    {{gwi:665505}}

• rispetto
    13 years ago

Dear Zsolt - Bialogon comes for 100% from Poland. I suppose that Ksawerow too, but I am not sure.
    I don't know where Vargguld comes from.
    Coniferjoy - thank you for detail about Peve Miba!

Here is another one - Globosa Viridis

{{gwi:777443}}

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

You're welcome rispetto.
    The 'Vargguld' comes from Sweden and is found by Brita Johansson as a branch mutation on a species tree.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing fellas. I've never seen any of these specimens for sale in the US, are they Europe-exclusive??

Here's a couple more I planted this Spring:

Pinus sylvestris 'Spann's Slow Column'. A very narrow, dwarf, bluish pine. Can't wait for it to shoot straight up.

'Hillside Creeper'. A ground cover type pine, this cultivar usually grows irregularly and spreads wider then high.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

I took a look to this topic again because Pinus sylvestris does have a very nice amound of good cultivars and are one of my favorites at my nursery because of their good winterhardiness.

Will, a spellcheck for the 'Spann's Slow Column' which must be written as 'Spaan's Slow Column'.
    This same mistake is often seen with the Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Spaan's Cannonball'.

'Candlelight'

• maryn2009
    13 years ago

Edwin nice sylvestris 'Candlelight'!

Rispetto, I've got a Pinus sylvestris "Xavery", isn't it the same with your Ksawerow (white tips in spring)

Pinus sylvestris "Xavery"

Pinus sylvestris var. lapponica Fritsche

Maria

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow Maria, great plants! Nice shiny pine too Edwin, nice to see you folks still contributing - I know your collections span almost indefinitely!

-Will

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Pinus sylvestris 'Ksawerów' is quite simular to Pinus sylvestris 'Xavery' which is also written as 'Xaweri'.
    I have it in my collection as 'Xawery', maybe Rispetto can give us more clearity about this cultivar name.

The thing is that 'Xaweri' does have the white new Spring growth and that 'Xaweri 1' is green all the time.
    I think that these came from the same seedbed...

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Pinus sylvestris 'Marshall'

Pinus sylvestris 'Chris's Broom'

Pinus sylvestris 'Bor'

Pinus sylvestris 'Big Boy'

Pinus sylvestris 'Fairy Nuff'

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Stephen, is the 'Chris's Broom' found by Chris Reynolds from the Bedgebury Pinetum?
    I have one which is named 'Bedgebury W.B.' which is maybe the same one?
    In my opinion it's 'Chris' Broom' instead of 'Chris's Broom'...
    The apostrophe means that this is a broom of Chris and a double s should not be mentioned.
    Can you tell us some details about the others?

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Hi Edwin,
    The broom is one of mine, and named after my son Chris, because he is the one that actually spotted it when we were out collecting material from another broom in the New Forest. The 's is correct because it denotes possession and belonging too. Although just the apostrophe on its own is also correct, as far as I'm aware you can use either, and as I named the broom I chose the 's.
    The Bedgebury witches' broom is an inferior broom and should be named Pinus sylvestris 'Bedgebury WB S17(section 17)
    Pinus sylvestris 'Marshall' is an American selection, and a very good mini, possibly one of the best.
    Pinus sylvestris 'Bor' is from Jan Slama, looks like it will be good one, with very thick stems and conspicuous white and orange buds.
    Pinus sylvestris 'Big Boy' is another broom from me, and so named because of the size of the original broom. So far it's proven to be one of my better sylvestris brooms, and has stayed fairly slow growing and compact.
    Pinus sylvestris 'Fairy Nuff' is a selected seedling from John Proudfoot, from a deliberate cross between two sylvestris cultivars, the same way as he did all his parvilfora crosses. Hope this helps Edwin.

• darob
    13 years ago

I greet
    Pinus sylvestris, Arrowhead,

I Greet Darek

• severnside
    13 years ago

'Fairy Nuff' ha ha, nice name.

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Pinus sylvestris 'Treasure'

Pinus sylvestris 'Nisbet's Gem'

Pinus sylvestris 'Cerik'

• gardener365
    13 years ago

oh man, this is hurtin'. That 'Bor' was driving me crazy... it still is. Super-plants being shown.

Dax

• mirek_l
    13 years ago

No name...witches' broom 19.02.08

{{gwi:777460}}

15.05.10. I have only one....
    {{gwi:777461}}

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Hi Marek,
    Do you mean that you only succeed grafting with only one plant of that original witches'broom?
    'Marek W.B.' is a good name...

• mirek_l
    13 years ago

Yes, only one.

Hmmm... 'Mirek HB' already is:

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

I'm very sorry that I said 'Marek W.B.', I ment to say 'Mirak W.B'.
    You didn't answered my quiestion if you're a witches'broom hunter, but your last pic told us that you're one ;0)
    Which witches'brooms do you show us at this pic and where did you found these?

• gardener365
    13 years ago

No Name wb grafted into a nice plant. How many Mirek HB did you graft successfully? How many brooms have you found?

Thanks Mirek,

Dax

• longaeva54
    13 years ago

You can view the brooms which Mirek found on this site.
    http://www.tomszak.pl/kolekcja_cm.php

• mirek_l
    13 years ago

No all...
    Mirek HB ok... but needles long (5-6 cm)
    {{gwi:777463}}
    But:
    P. silv. 'Paprotnia'

{{gwi:777464}}
    First year. Needles 10 cm
    {{gwi:777465}}
    Three years old. Needles 1,5 cm
    {{gwi:777466}}

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Pinus sylvestris 'StÃÂ¥le Sørensen W.B.'

It's a neat and compact witches'broom of the "Norsky Typ" which grows much more compact then the other natural varieties in Europe.
    I received the complete broom and named it after the finder.

• mirek_l
    13 years ago

P. silv. 'Krysia'

{{gwi:777471}}

• maryn2009
    13 years ago

Hello, mirek. Is your 'Krysia' wintergold or all year around?

Maria

• gardener365
    13 years ago

That's a good one Mirek. Thank you longaeva54.

Dax

• darob
    13 years ago

I greet

P.syl.,Jakutsk,

P.syl.,Bexel WB,

P.syl.,BiaÃÂogon,

P.syl.,Genolier,

Darek

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Hi Darek,
    That 'Genolier' is outstanding!
    The next time you will visit me, you can bring me one ;0)

The 'Bialogon' looks very much the same as the English 'Brentmoor Blonde' isn't it Stephen?

'Bextel W.B.'
    Must be written as 'Bextel W.B. Slg'.
    This isn't a true witches'broom but a witches'broom seedling.

• mirek_l
    13 years ago

maryn2009
    All year gold.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Amazing Mirek. Your plant collection is fantastic.
    Those Beech & Oak are as well great.
    I see some "Maria" cultivars...

Dax

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Edwin, the 'Bialogon' is probably a lot better than 'Brentmoor Blonde', I've down graded my view of that plant considerably in the last couple of years.
    Should it not also be Pinus sylvestris 'Bexel WB SDL

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Stephen, how come that you down graded the 'Brentmoore Blonde.
    Does it grow to fast or did the white needles burn from the afternoon sun?

I'm not sure if it's 'Bextel W.B. Slg' or 'Bextel W.B. Sdl'.
    I received this one from Henk as the first one.
    What I do know is that you have to use the dots in W.B. because this is a shortening (not WB)
    Also it couldn't be SDL because it's a shortening for seedling which is one word, it's Sdl. or Slg.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

What is the growth rate of 'Bor' Stephen?

I didn't know some of that Edwin. I will use periods beteen W.B. .. Is it ever w.b.?

Dax

• longaeva54
    13 years ago

Polkowski found Pinus sylvestris Bialogon. During a trip by train ,he spotted white needles on one of pinus sylvestris.
    Polkowsi returned to the spotted place and dug the plant
    The plant was dead unfortunately, but grafts were made in time.

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Cheers Edwin, what would we do without you...and yes, the 'Brentmoor B;onde' is a difficult plant, it's very thin branched and leggy, plus it can and does burn some summers and can look a right mess some years, but when it's good. it's outstanding.
    Dax, There's a bit of confusion with my 'Bor' now, since you posted the link to the Tomszak site, I checked the photo they have of 'Bor' there. Looks completely different to my plant...The strange thing is I cut away a lot of foliage from the base of my plant thinking it was bits of understock, and the foliage I removed looks very much like the foliage from the pic on the Tomszak plant, I had a problem knowing what was what, because I could not clearly see the graft union. Now I'm wondering if what I have left is a witches' broom that was growing in the center of the plant

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Pinus sylvestris 'Dano WB'

Pinus sylvestris 'Trollguld'

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Pinus sylvestris "Genolier"

Selected in Switzerland by Genolier nursery.Look like a variegated "Globosa Viridis"
    I have 1 or 2 plants 20 years ago,turned rapidly (in my garden) a poor plant, burned by the sun or by the frost.
    I cutted back some years after.
    Clément

• longaeva54
    13 years ago

Pinus sylvestris Bialogon

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A lengthy photo gallery here! I'll add a couple more small scotch pines I have:

'Doone Valley'

'Buchanon's Gold'. Pretty nice Autumn/Winter color.

'Bennett Compact'. A pretty tight dwarf.

-Will

• mesterhazypinetum
    13 years ago

Pinus sylvestris Darany
    found wild in 1991 by me, a natural depressed dwarf

{{gwi:777505}}

{{gwi:777507}}
    Zsolt

• severnside
    13 years ago

Pinus sylvestris 'Westonbirt' in frost.
    {{gwi:777510}}
    Originally found as a broom in Westonbirt National Arboretum Gloucester UK - thought lost but subsequently rediscovered and sold at their excellent plant centre with a lot of unusual confirs, no website for the sales unfortunately.

Here is a link that might be useful: Westonbirt National Arboretum UK