Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texjagman

Still looking - Cedrus deodara 'Vink's Gold or Golden'

texjagman
13 years ago

I'm still on a mission to find a nice specimen of this tree. Don over at Porterhowse is trying to find me one since he was one of the last known US vendors to have them, but so far no luck.

So this is turing into another one of my almost "money is no object" kind of searches. I really want this tree and to make things worse I'd love to find it as more than a 1-2 year old graft. If anyone, anywhere knows of a specimen, even if I need to come to someone's place, pay them for it, and dig it up out of their yard myself, I'd do it.

I'd even pay overseas shipping on one for you guys across the water.

thx for hearing me out

Mark

Comments (11)

• bluegix
    13 years ago

Funny you should mention trying to find this tree, i to have been searching for it without any luck. I have come across websites that sell it but i think it was an australian company.
    I live in england by the way and its not over here as far as i know.

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

I have a specimen in my Yard mark that's doing well, but probably not getting quite as much sun as it'd like. It's on my 'move to a hot, sunny spot' list and I'm probably going to move it down to my rock garden next year. Did Don say he had ANY plants? If so, I'd just order a small one - it's a pretty quick growing plant and it will establish better as a 1-gallon anyway.

My 1-gallon plant in Spring of last year from Porterhowse.

And today, so about 15 months in the ground. Gets about 2-4 hours of direct sun and 6-10 hours of filtered.

-Will

• texjagman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, Don said he didn't have any grafts this year at all. But he knew of a nursery close by that just finished some grafting that might have it. So at this point that appears to be my only shot at one of any kind.

I originally hoped he had one stuck in his garden that out grew a pot, but he didn't. So that yard tree may still come up if someone spots on for me....ha ha

By the way, what's your address Will ??

mark

• texjagman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, people didn't line up with information for me here. And Will didn't give me his address for a nightime raid. So after some extensive Googling I have determined the only two countries that may still be grafting this varietal are Aussies and New Zealanders. I sent emails to nurseries in both countries to see if any one of them would be interested in air shipping me a specimen.

So we'll see if this quest is coming to a happy end or a sad one. It sucks when you want something that everyone tells you you can't have.....

mark

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

Where did you get yours Will?

Dave

• texjagman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think his was one of the last from Don at Porterhowse.........whose trying to locate someone for me that might still be grafting them.

mark

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Is this a must-have deodara? There are a TON of nice golden cedrus cultivars I can think of?

Don should have new plants eventually?

-Will

• bluegix
    13 years ago

texjagman, i too only found this cultivar for sale in Australia and New Zealand. I thought about emailing them too but haven't yet so i would be interested to hear what the out come is if you get a reply from the companies.
    thx

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Maybe you could try emailing Whistling Gardens in Canada. They can ship to the US. Other countries outside of the US, cannot.

Dax

• texjagman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In my mind it IS a must have for me down here in the south Will. This particular variety is like taking any of your typical golden deodaras you've seen and doubling the branches and thickness. I'll post a mature pic of it tonight when I get home for you to see.

The thickness factor on these soft whispy trees is critical in the south because they react differently down here. What you see as a typical nice thick tree varietal in the north, will naturally thin out down here as it matures due to our hot winds. It's the tree's natural way of keeping cooler. So if I can start with a varietal that is twice as thick as others, then I have a much better shot at a fuller looking tree as it matures.

Deep Cove is another great example. In the north it is a very thick deodara varietal. But while it still grows well in the south, as it matures it becomes a much more leggy varietal.

And I love the thick full looking deodaras. So that's what all the big hunt is about.

mark

• red50
    13 years ago

Hi Mark,

I looked on ebay & forest farms, both have some cedrus, but not Cedrus deodara 'Vink's Gold. Sorry.

Ever since I saw a picture of Cedrus deodara 'Limelight', on the American Conifer Society website, I have wanted one. I think it would look great in my front yard.

Best of luck with your search.
    Joyce

Here is a link that might be useful: American Conifer Society database