Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poopsko

conifer design and placement

poopsko
14 years ago

Hi all, looking for some good ideas on placement of my trees. Particulary the whole dirt area and back towards the fence. I also would like to plant something larger to take away the eye sore of the telephone pole.

Heres what I kinda want to do. I want to have some larger trees in the back and swoop down in sizes towards where the boulders stop the slate path, ending towards the boulders and up the mulch with grasses and hostas. That dirt area use to be a slate path, but that is too valuable of planting area for my addiction, so i took it out. It does not have to keep that contour, so I'm open to leveling it off or just pulling some of the dirt down from the right side hill where the scotts pine is. I was thinking near the back by the phone pole Pinus Parviflora Glauca or Pinus Strobus Torulosa ? I already have them, but I am open to ANY ideas that will or wont work. The Bergman you see that looks like its in the pot is actually in the ground there. The yellow Hinoki is not in the ground neither nor is the plum bush. And I'm not opposed to removing the scotts pine, as it almost doesnt fit with my "lush" theme I'd like to go after. I also have a 15' tall Purple fountain that I want to put in the back area somewhere. That view is facing East. The first pics are my yard and then the last pic is a pic I took at Rich's foxwillow, kinda would like to mimic that in a way.

My list of trees I have, but dont have to use are as follows:Parviflora Glauca, Pinus Strobus Torulosa, Purple fountain, Chamaecyparis obtusa, purple plum bush, Pinus Parviflora Fukai, ko-raku, Howells Dwarf tigertail,Picea abies Pygmaea. I'm open to creative ideas. thanx

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

wow .. you are a worker bee .. lol..

great work.. great design ...

it is time for you to become a collector of MINI conifers ... those that only grow an inch or two per year ...

you have a lot of plants.. that can become mosters .... and will be the backbone of your paradise for years to come ....

now start focusing on smaller stuff.. so you can increase your collection.. without running out of space ...

i have no affection for purple plum.... i wouldnt plant it back there ... JMples are basically out in z5.. depending on your micro climate .... if you want some purple winter interest.. look for Chamaecyparis thyoides 'Heather Bun'

one pet peeve of mine .... soil is mother earth .... potting media is what in pots .. and dirt is what is all over you ... when you finish working in your little eden ....

anyway .... keep up God's work ... ken

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

Whoa... you don't need help. Just let your own, obviously, high-artistic mind go to work. I see stuff like this and realize my artistic mind is so primitive.

These pictures are a work of art brother, wow!

Will

• dcsteg
    14 years ago

Regarding the concealment of the telephone pole in the corner I would tuck a Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Gold Rush' in there.

It would give good color balance to an already beautiful area. Go for one at least 6ft.+ to get you off to a good start. I have mine tucked into a tight area and am well pleased with the results.

I am sure you have seen it in other threads but I will include it again for a visual.

As far as what to put where it all will come together one plant at a time. Hopefully you have a local nursery that carries more then the run of the mill conifers. It helps to have that special specimen in front of you when contemplating your next move. I side in with Ken regarding the Purple Plum. They always start out looking good but as it grows is hard to maintain and keep for good presentation.

So far your garden is looking special...one of the reasons is you are doing it yourself.

Dave
    {{gwi:766194}}

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Whoa is right. You're an artist in your own makings. Very well done. Everything looks like you studied conifer nursery plantings as well as conifer garden photos. Fantastic!

My opinion is to use the 'Torulosa' in that back corner. It's lacking in green. That's if you have enough room for such a huge tree. It is huge, just remember that. The plum does need to go too. Forget that. If you want something of darker color, get a ninebark 'Diablo' or something else. Those plums not only get fungus but they attract Japanese Beetles, as well as just about every other insect, imaginable. Forget it...

Dave says 'Ogon' I say go green!

Dax

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

I would not level off the the area, a change of grade adds interest. Maybe snake that contour line around a bit, but not too sharp of curves nor too many- judging by what I see, you probably know that. Like the others, I say no to the plum. Is that a Picea pungens next to the fence? It may be a good candidate for the corner hiding the telephone pole. Judging by its growth rate, it may be a bit close to the fence where it is now anyway. If the Pinus strobus 'Torulosa' gets wider than the Picea, then it gets my vote for the corner. I'd keep the Scots pine (what cultivar is it?) as it adds a nice texture. Maybe put the 'Ko raku' or 'Bergman" to the right and downslope of it. If by "Purple Fountain" you mean a Fagus sylvatica it will need about 10-15 feet for it's girth. If that goes, say, next to the Picea in the corner, suddenly, there's no more corner. What cultivar of Cham obtusa is that and what Picea pungens is it(if it is a pungens)? Like Ken said, some of these could become monsters so knowing exactly what those are might help. Looks like most of the rest grow small enough for the front row (depending on how much of a front row is left.

tj

P.S. How's the pumila doing?

• poopsko
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanx Ken, yeah I agree that its time for the minis if i want to keep up my collection going. I'll look into the Chamaecyparis thyoides 'Heather Bun'. I can't believe nobody likes the purple plum....I did'nt know they had such a bad rap. One that size was'nt cheep. Now what to do w/ it ? I don't want all kind of fungal disease coming in to my garden.
    Thanx Will, no it is my mind that I feel is soo primitive, but thanx again.
    Thank you Dave, I actually had my eyes on the Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Gold Rush' at foxwillow pines last year, not for that area, but I did like it alot.
    thanks Dax, I do like the ninebark 'Diablo' , a shrub yes ? Regarding the 'Torulosa' I would like to get get him in there, ACS says its 15' in ten years. All the other sites I've been on give different sizes for this tree. Does anyone know how he will fill out ?
    TJ, thats a Hoopsi and next to it is a Blue Mist. They are both in the ground already too. Not sure of the Scotts, I'll look into it. Cham Obtusa Aurea. I think I'm going to put the Cham obtusa Aurea to the left of the Hoopsi, they don't get too wide do they ? Oh and the pumila is toast, #*%#@!* Dammit. I really liked that tree alot. He just stayed too wet in that spot. I fixed the pond though, so there is no more wetness there. It was dry when i planted so i did'nt notice it then. I needed to "burm" up the liner cause it sunk some over the winter, hence causing the water to make its way over and into the dirt enough to keep it wet.
    I moved some things around....I'll take pics and post. Thanx for ideas all.

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Sorry, I was thinking of 'Contorta' strobus and I don't have the answer to your question a bout 'Torulosa'. Go with your gut regarding any power lines and the info the ACS says, etc- etc-.

Dax

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

Just to give you an idea on 'Hoopsii" potential.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoop it up

• picea
    14 years ago

Move the purple fountain beech. If it likes the spot it can grow up to 20+ inches per year and will have a conical shape, not the tall narrow form you are often told by the nursery. It is a great tree and could also be used in the back to screen the pole. It's dark purple leaves is a nice contrast to the blues and gold conifers you have.

As far as gold conifers go I really like 'Gold Rush' but given your limited space a picea orientalis Sylands' might be a better choice for the long run.
    David

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

the plums problems are inherent to the plum .... it is not going to create problems in other areas .... dont you have a front yard??? plant it where it pleases you .... and be prepared.. in about 10 years.. when it has canker.. gaping wounds... and what not.. to just be done with it .... its just that simple... IF YOU ALREADY HAVE IT... USE IT .... i think we were answering more along the lines if it was on some wish list ... i was anyway ...

for the pole. ... understand you are working the easement.. you dont want to come home one day and find out the utility companies chainsaw gods have topped something .. so look for something that is slower growing .....

look at:
    Juniperus communis 'Gold Cone'
    Juniperus communis 'Compressa'
    Juniperus communis 'Gold Totem'

and as to your size potentials .... listen.. i always advocate planting things that make your toes tingle .... and if need be.. get rid of them in 10 years ....

whats the point of planting something plain old ugly .. and putting up with it.. simply because it FITS in some given space ....

keep up God's work

ken

• hammybee
    14 years ago

We must live in the same general area, given proximity to Rich's. Some thoughts for facing down the big guys....Berberis "Concord" and/or "Orange Rocket", Hydrangea "Glowing Embers" (needs winter protection) and Panicum " Shenandoah".

You pictures are lovely.

• poopsko
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hoop it up ....nice
    yeah David and Ken I already have the purple fountain, and it a 15-20 one already. I never seen one for sale that large and so i had to get it. I like the contrast, just hope it does'nt attract any pests that could harm my conifers ?
    Does the pinus parviflora glauca grow pretty quick ? They have it as a large conifer, it looks like its one year growth is pretty good.
    Hammybee, we're probley fairly close, I'm in Northwest IN, about an hour from Riches. I plan on going there again on Friday

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus