Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkeytreeboy15

Abies homolepis Photo Gallery 2012

monkeytreeboy15
11 years ago

I am becoming aware of how the photo gallery threads appear to be inundating the forum recently. If there are any complaints, let me know as I am responsible for many of them.

However, I do believe that these posts are sources of valuable information in identification and familiarization of the various cultivars of each species, and I personally enjoy seeing everyone's photos.

On that note, let's begin a photo gallery specifically devoted to the much underused species--Abies homolepis.

'F.R. Newman' (purchased from Coenosium Gardens)

'Variegated' (one of my favorite conifers; purchased from a local nursery called Cambium Connection)

some branches are pure white while others are half-white/half-green and still others are solid green

-Sam

Comments (20)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

I'm always happy to see 'F.R. Newman' after scionwood made the rounds. It's great Bob has grafts. I'm very glad I sent a chunk to him the size of 18-24" across, appx. You're in on the witnessing of what this plant will become because right now, it's anyone's guess.

Best Regards, Sam.

Dax

• texjagman
    11 years ago

Sam, you show many great pictures and virtually all of them are young grafts. Are they all in the ground and you have a sea of young guys like Will........or do you do this to sell grafts to others.....I'm curious what your garden is like.

mark

• severnside
    11 years ago

This you doing Dax? Nice one, take that bow...

• gardener365
    11 years ago

I was the distributor severn. Evan Reed, a guy that posts here infrequently, collected the broom at Cornell University while attending veterinary school. 'F.R. Newman' is the name of a building on their campus. Here is the original broom of which much of it still exists, today.

Abies homolepis 'F.R. Newman' ortet witches' broom

Abies homolepis 'F.R. Newman' ortet witches' broom

Abies homolepis 'F.R. Newman' piece of ortet witches broom

Dax

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dax, I like whatever is happening with F.R. Newman. That broom seems to have two different forms of growth--some faster and some slower. Looking forward to seeing this little guy develop.

Mark, I am responsible for the selection of dwarf conifers at Albers Vista Gardens (see link). Because I am young (18.5 years old), I have only begun expanding the conifer collection over the last few years. Therefore, the majority of the plants are small; however, there are exceptions because some of the collection has been around since 1999.
    Also, I have just recently tried grafting some conifers, and I may look to selling some in the future once I begin producing them in greater quantities.

-Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Albers Vista Gardens

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Hi Sam,

All the wood Evan sent came from the slowest-growing pieces of the broom. That's exactly what should be done in every circumstance. Surely, your comment jives as is the nature of certain plants. In addition, I remember from the pieces he sent, where a tip-leader was present, I cut those off prior to sending the chunks away.

Best Regards,

Dax

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Dax, who grated the tip leader and is it still alive?
    I hope it is and would like to so a pic of it...

• gardener365
    11 years ago

No-one, Edwin.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Why wasn't the tip leader grafted?
    This is the best part of the broom which received 70% of all the energy which once it's grafted could be used as a very good motherplant for furthur propagation material...strange, very strange that it is wasted...

• gardener365
    11 years ago

That's the worst part of the broom. I don't know where you prefer scions from your stock plants, however, I only cut from the least vigorous shoots (for dwarfs & mini's). Never a tip shoot!

I think you're strange! ;-)

Dax

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Taken scions from a stockplant which is growing at a nursery is a complete differend thing, because they are growing in a healthy and fertilized controled situation.
    Most scions of original witches' brooms are poor growing and are thin like a match wood.
    For this reason I would take the tip shoot as well, because like I mentioned before, it contains 70% of all the energy and for this reason it produces a thicker scion.
    The 4th pic is showing us the best tip shoot scion of the whole branch which will develop in the most perfect nursery stockplant for furthur propagation matters.

My way of thinking could be strange for you but the difference is that I think like a professional nurserymen and you think like a hobbiest... ;0)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Then does the stockplant behave the same or will it look differed from all the other grafts, given 10 years time? That's all I need to know.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

It's the other way around, one day the other grafts will look like "the fat one" if they will get the same amound of food and nutrients...

The thing is that the "fat one" will produce new scions for propagation in a couple of years.
    While the "skinny ones" will produce new useable scions at a much later age because the have to recover to become "fat"

All scions in the witches' broom does have the same characteristic because they do have the same DNA...

If there's a choice to pick out the best scions of a witches' broom, then you always have to go for the "fat one's" as long as they're graftable on the understock...

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Thanks pro :-)

Dax

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

The next two witches' brooms were found in the Czech Republic:
    Abies homolepis 'Havel'
    {{gwi:765640}}

Abies homolepis 'Nefrit'

Abies homolepis 'F.R. Newman'

Abies homolepis 'Prostrata'
    {{gwi:765646}}

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

Abies homolepis "F.R.Newman"

Abies homolepis "Molenhill"

Clement

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Clement, your 'F.R. Newman' already made a leader like the original broom did, very nice!

I'm sorry to say but you've to rename 'Molenhill' into 'Molehill'...
    It's named after this :0)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Very nice Abies homolepis cultivars, guys. And thanks for the 'F.R. Newman' photos. I'm happy to see this witches' broom doing so well.

Dax

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very nice pictures, indeed.
    My F.R. Newman has yet to decide which way is up. This is my most recent picture from this past week:

-Sam

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Well, it's a dandy Sam.

Dax