Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaro_in_montreal

Picea abies photo gallery 2010 (cont'd)

jaro_in_montreal
13 years ago

Continuing Dave's P.a. gallery -- which was becoming too big to download....

Here's an update on my two 'Pruhoniceana' trees : Doing much better this year, with strong growth, which needs to be staked.... (the third photo is the second plant -- the first two pics is just different views of the same plant)

Also doing pretty good this year are the two 'Inversas' I got from Darren at Whistling Gardens -- and which he says are quite distinct from the common 'Reflexa'/'Inversa' confusion -- at least for older plants, where the supposed real 'Inversa' grows as a tall upright tree....

Comments (6)

• dansgrdn
    13 years ago

Lookin' great jaro!

Here's my Picea abies 'Gold Drift' looking a little worse for wear after last year's move. It's not getting moved again and hopefully will flush more evenly next year.

Dan

• jaro_in_montreal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Dan !

.....that one looks like quite a fast grower too ! ....somewhat like the Pruhoniceana.
    I saw pictures of the latter as mature plants -- pretty big !!!
    (Pretty big is what I want -- combined with the narrow weeping habit, somewhat like a P.o. 'Pendula Bruns', just more "independent" when it comes to unstaked vertical growth... or so I hope, for the future :O)

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Wow, never seen 'Pruhoniceana' before. Looks like a narrow-ish form. Lovely green. I'll add a few to this gallery:

Picea abies 'Acracona'. Surely not as many cones are normal, I only counted a few. I'm hoping it sags right up to this rockwall. I'm sure someone can post a nicer one.

'Frohberg' A very fast growing, slightly weeping cultivar. Doesn't weep near as hard as 'Pendula', but still attractive nonetheless. Hoping it likewise, cascades down that bank.

'Rotenhausii'. A very narrow upright, or so reputed. I've heard of 20' specimens at 3' wide.

'Medusa'. A new offering from Coenosium Gardens, this little plant is supposed to be similar to 'Acracona Pusch' only with curling ends and cones at the end - thus the name.

'Pendula'. One of my 'oldest' conifers as far as established. It's going on it's third Spring and really beginning to push growth. Kinda sad my 'most established' conifer is just now hitting it's third year.

'Aurea'. a VERY rapid growing, bright yellow-gold conifer. Prone to slight burn in the late Summer months, mine seems to be a nice color year round.

'Elegantissima'. Also burns a little as the new growth 'frosts over' in a white/creme hue. Very rapidly growing, I'll have to make decisions about this plant in a few years!

'Argenteospica' - Hope I got the name right Edwin! Creamy white new flush. Intermediate growth rate I'd say - perhaps due to the lack of chlorophyl.

I *think* that's all the Picea abies I can show. Sorry!

-Will

• dansgrdn
    13 years ago

More great specimens Will. Your 'Aurea' is really glowing, wish I had a spot for that one. I have no doubt that your 'Acrocona' will drape over that wall in time. Mine didn't cone much this year either after a heavy year last year.

Dan

• jaro_in_montreal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In connection with the first post on this page......

Radio Prague (Cesky Rozhlas 7 - Radio Praha)
    News Friday, August 20th, 2010
    Pruhonice part of UNESCO protected reserve
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pruhonice park, located on the outskirts of Prague, is to be included in the UNESCO-protected Prague town reserve, according to a decision made at a recent meeting of the UNESCO commission in Brazil. The Czech Culture Ministry and the park's management have welcomed the news saying it would help protect and improve on one of Europe's largest landscape parks. Pruhonice, which covers more than 200 hectares, has a valuable collection of plants from all over the world.

• jaro_in_montreal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oooops.... forgot the link :

Here is a link that might be useful: Prùhonice Park Dendrological Garden

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus