Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluespruce53

Pinus nigra cultivars parade

bluespruce53
14 years ago

Just to carry on Edwins theme - who knows we could go through like this for every species.

Here are a few from my place to start with.

'Biokovo'

{{gwi:755112}}

'Bright Eyes'

{{gwi:755114}}

'Black Prince'

{{gwi:755117}}

'Frank'

{{gwi:755121}}

'Keightley Broom'

{{gwi:755125}}

'Bobo'

{{gwi:755127}}

'Pipouniou'

{{gwi:755132}}

Comments (25)

• sluice
    14 years ago

'Pygmaea' (Denver Botanic Gardens)

• cascadians
    14 years ago

Thank you for posting such great pictures! It is a treat to see such healthy pines. Love to see how gardeners arrange and grow their plants.

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

I have also some to start with, taken a few years ago with no experience how to use a camara...
    'Aurea'

'Buda'

'Cebennensis Nana'

'Chinto'

Pinus nigra 'Compacta'

• clement_2006
    14 years ago

Pinus nigra "Nicolas"
    Cultivar selected by myself many years ago.
    href="http://s711.photobucket.com/albums/ww115/Conifers2009/?action=view¤t=PinusnigraNicolas.jpg"; target="_blank">

Pinus nigra "Nicolas"

Pinus nigra "Aurea"
    Clément

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Clement - is that a Ginkgo behind Pinus nigra 'Nicolas' - and if so which one is it ?

• sprucebud
    14 years ago

Pinus nigra 'Goldfingers'

• kmanzfive laknee
    14 years ago

Pinus nigra 'Bambino'

• sluice
    14 years ago

Wow, the Aurea and Goldfingers are nice!

Arnold Sentinel

Pinehurst

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

kmanzfive,
    Pinus nigra 'Bambino' isn't a true nigra cultivar, it's a cross with Pinus densiflora like his brother cultivar 'Pierrick Brégeon'.

Some others:
    'Géant de Suisse'

'Green Tower'

'Helga'
    {{gwi:755178}}

'Hornibrookiana'
    {{gwi:755181}}

'Kisuoni'
    {{gwi:755184}}

• gardener365
    14 years ago

'Obelisk'

'Breppo' looks like densiflora cross:

Pinus x Jane Kluis (densiflora x nigra)

'Arnold Sentinel'

'Oregon Green'

Pinus x 'Pierrick Bregeon' (densiflora x nigra)
    {{gwi:623441}}

Dax

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Dax,

'Breppo' must be written as 'Brépo' and is the same as 'Pierrick Brégeon' and is a cross between Pinus nigra 'Nana' and Pinus densiflora 'Umbraculifera'
    This plant is also known under the names 'Benelux' and 'Otto's Compact'

Pinus x 'Jane Kluis' is known under the name Pinus densiflora 'Jane Kluis' and is indeed a cross between Pinus densiflora and Pinus nigra.
    As it is named under Pinus densiflora it doesn't fit in this category Pinus nigra cultivars.

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

Blue, I'd love to see a series of these. I'm afraid I only have a couple Pinus nigra so my pictures wouldn't help much but I have dozens of other species and would be glad to post.

Will

P.S. If we kept the parade keyword it would be easy to search for these picture threads.

• gardener365
    14 years ago

'Big Tuna' is the plant above I listed as 'Jane Kluis'.

Edwin, it's been my assumption that any hybrid's should be labled as "x". Sure the original parentage is what it is but it is still a hybrid of two species. More confusion in the trade and in my efforts to keep the conifer database "clean." Why list 'Jane Kluis' as densiflora.... that makes no sense, at least not to me.

I can't get those slash marks above letters but I certainly appreciate the naming corrections and the information about the crosses. I can however copy/paste and the slash marks are kept.

Many thanks,

Dax

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Dax,

The densiflora was the motherplant where to cones came from, that's why it's a densiflora cultivar.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Wonderful pictures, all!

Coniferjoy, you continue to offer great explanations. Thank you!

Dax,
    most of the special characters can be created by typing "alt" + a number (hold alt down until you're finished typing the number - release, and the character should appear). I use the list from the back of the Microsoft User's Guide, but the codes are available on-line as well. For me, it was easier to memorize them, since I use them so often.

For example: 'Brépo'

[alt]+130 = é

Another commonly used character is the degree symbol: °

[alt]+248 = °

Josh

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

some more...
    'Komet'
    {{gwi:755199}}

'Molette'
    {{gwi:755200}}

'Nana'
    {{gwi:755201}}

'Olesna'
    {{gwi:755202}}

'Pinc'

• plantmarker
    14 years ago

Hello Folks -

Could someone please tell me the differences between the various fastigiate Pinus nigra cultivars, such as P.n. 'Obelisk', 'Frank', 'Arnold Sentinel' and 'Green Tower'?

Also, would Pinus nigra do well in my Zone 7A garden in N.C. (hot, humid Summers)?

Thanks!

PlantMarker

• arceesmith
    14 years ago

Dax -
    "'Big Tuna' is the plant above I listed as 'Jane Kluis'."

??

You mean to tell me that someone else named a conifer 'Big Tuna'? I thought P. mugo 'Big Tuna' was the only one. What you have pictured sure looks like 'Jane Kluis' from here. Am I more confused than normal?

• billb
    14 years ago

Here are a couple that I have around here. The first two are two grafts from the same broom with a big difference in how they look. Same plant and same age though.

Pinus nigra 'Velvet Broom' #1
    {{gwi:755206}}

Pinus nigra 'Velvet Broom' #2
    {{gwi:755208}}

Pinus nigra 'Monstrosa'
    {{gwi:755210}}

Bill

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Hi Bill,
    That's a strange situation, 2 differend forms found in 1 witches'broom.
    I have seen pictures of a Ginkgo witches'broom in Czech Republic who has the same caracteristics.

I also like the 'Monstrosa' with it's semi weeping habit.
    This is a cultivar found in France but I never saw it in Europe!

My final ones...
    'Pichounet'
    {{gwi:755212}}

'Pygmaea'

'Slatinka Ustek'

'Sylfit'
    {{gwi:755218}}

'Zimmer 2'
    {{gwi:755220}}

• dansgrdn
    14 years ago

Pinus nigra 'Sychrov'

Pinus nigra 'Kalous'

Dan

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

Pinus nigra 'Variegata'
    {{gwi:755226}}

{{gwi:755227}}

{{gwi:755228}}

{{gwi:755229}}

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Hey RC - I totally botched that up. It is a mugo, 'Big Tuna' don't know what I was thinking.

Regards,

Dax

• tunilla
    14 years ago

Can someone answer plantmarker's question about the differences between those fastigiate forms like 'Green Tower' etc? I have that one and it appears to be rather slow growing.
    I also have various cv's of those posted above,and all seem to do well in our hot DRY summers. However, they also appreciate a good dousing from time to time (as most conifers seem to do) T.

• gardener365
    14 years ago

I have very few nigra or sylvestris here because of high humidity. Any climate with high humidity should definitely avoid Pinus nigra. A better substitute, Pinus heldreichii. More attrave too.

As to the diference to those cultivars, I don't know. None of my books would be of help.

Dax

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus