Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Pinus parviflora Photo Gallery 2010

My favorite pine and for me, finally coming into 'leaf'. Our very mild, wet Spring has prompted many plants to wake up slowly, but for the most part they are wide awake now and pushing and coning.

Please feel free to share some of yours!

Inexorably I'm going to need Edwin's help with the many complicated Japanese naming of these fine plants. Thanks in advance! :)

Pinus parviflora 'Go-Gin'. Nice cones, this plant is about 6-8 years old.

'Billie'

'Ogon-Janome'. One of the best varigated pines or conifers period for that matter. Needs some shade but not too much and you get this bold, eye-catching color. Medium grower, maybe 5-8 inches a year.

Closeup on needles.

'Early Cone'.

'Ko-Ku-Ho'. Surely butchered this name!

'Pygmy Yatsubusa'. Maybe 2 years old! :)

'Shimane'. Another varigated type, some needles are a bright gold. Not as evident at a distance as 'Ogon-Janome'.

TONS of cultivars, so share a few!

-Will

Comments (60)

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for sharing Edwin and Clement, your collections always have dozens of plants I have never seen nor heard of - many of which are spectacular plants.

Pinus parviflora 'Cuddles'. Another dwarf, perhaps larger then some.

'Kokonoe'. Brutalized the proper spelling no doubt - I still find it fascinating such a young tree makes cones.

'Yezzo-Aplina'. Another name brutalization no doubt.

'Blue Lou'. Making the rounds in collectors garden, a wonderful bright-blue parviflora with an upright(sometimes narrow?) habit.

'Tsai's Cushion'. One of the smallest parviflora clones, seems to put on an inch of stiff new growth a year.

-Will

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

'Kokonoe' must be written as 'Koko-no-e'.

'Floppy Joe'

'FS 3'
    This a seedling selection from John Proudfoot.
    FS means "Final Selection"

'Fu-shiro'
    In the past the name was 'Fu-shiro-goyo' but the goyo part is not needed because it means Pinus parviflora in the Japanese language.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So to clarify Edwin, a name for example like 'Azuma-goyo' is technically just 'Azuma'? With help of the translation that makes a lot more sense.

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Clement - Pinus parviflora M PAR4, was given the cultivar name 'Billie', and is probably the very best of the John Proudfoot parvifloras, although your plant does look a little too open for that plant.
    Edwin - Pinus parviflora FS-3, was also given the cultivar name 'Linda'

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Blue! You probably helped me from buying a duplicate or two. :)

-Will

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Yep Will you can skip all the goyo's from your list.

I's the same with the Cryptomeria japonica cultivars with the sugi part in their names.
    Sugi means Cryptomeria in the Japanese language.
    The sugi part also can be skipped.

• tunilla
    13 years ago

Very nice plants, all!
    Edwin, what would be the most likely understock used on parvifloras? This spring I lost both 'Negishi' and 'Gimborns Ideal' - after a very wet/snowy and cold winter.Both plants came from Laurains nursery, but they may well have originated elsewhere .
    Other parvifloras I have are doing fine. T.

PS I hate pouring hard-earned money down the drain!!!

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

The best understock for grafting Pinus parviflora cultivars is Pinus armandii.
    This species can stand wet soil better then Pinus strobus.
    There's a chance that both your Pinus parviflora's were grafted on Pinus wallichiana understock which is the most not winterhardy species of these 3 which are mentioned.

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

You can also use Pinus sylvestris as understocks for parviflora, I have done so for several years now with very good results, in fact my plants grafted onto sylvestris probably look better than any I have put onto 5 needle understocks over that time.

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Pinus parviflora 'Billie' (Mpar 4)

Pinus parviflora 'Bunty'

Pinus parviflora 'Iona'

• ykli
    13 years ago

Thanks for the photos.

{{gwi:750520}}
    Pinus Parviflora Fukai

{{gwi:750521}}
    Close up of Fukai

{{gwi:750522}}
    Pinus Parviflora Tanima-no-yuki

• jaro_in_montreal
    13 years ago

The Fukai is beautiful ! ....I got one last year, and it has been a very pleasant surprize !

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

'Gyokkasen'

'Jyu-roko-ra-kan'

'Kin-po'

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This gallery sure has taken off - Great to see, thanks for adding your plants fellas! :)

Pinus parviflora 'Richard Lee'. A little thing with tiny needles. My hunch says it won't make cones!!

'Hagaromo'. One of the oldest specimens in my gardens, this plant is probably 15 years old. Very small, dense cushion, tiny cones, lovely colors - This is what I collect and dot my landscape with miniature plants.

'Dwarf Sdl#1'. No info.

'Azuma'. Showing a more open, vigorous habit then Dave's plant, in my opinion.

'Glauca Nana'. Upright and relatively narrow, lovely plant.

'Glauca Brevifolia'. Great colors and heavy coning - with BIG cones.

-Will

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Some more white pines left in my collection.

Pinus parviflora 'Bergman', listed as 'Bergmani' which seems unusual. I've seen older ones and they are phenominal.

'Aoba-jo'. A very cool, strong blue with heavily twisted branches. One of the first white pines I chased down.

'Tayonishiki'. Presumably 'Tayo-Nishiki'? Another medium dwarf. Gets dense from what I have seen.

Fuku-Zumi'. Too much water for this lovely cultivar this Spring. :( Hopefully it perks back up, I'd hate to lose such a wonderful pine. LOTS of cones.

'Skikoku'. A new plant for me, from Porterhowse. Cones already - haha - love it.

'Shi-On'. New plant for me from Girard's nursery.

'Aoi'.

Ko-Raku Yatsubusa'. Bushy.

Phew, so many but I love every one of them.

-Will

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

2 very small one's:
    'Teddy' found as a witches'broom by Clément.
    {{gwi:696632}}

'Teddy' original broom in Cléments garden
    {{gwi:665483}}

This little one is maybe the smallest Pinus parviflora witches'broom ever found:
    'Filip's Little Diamond'
    {{gwi:626688}}
    I received the mother plant (P. parv. 'Brevifolia') from a bonsai nursery man.
    Last year he called me up and told me that there was a funny little globe with very tiny needles in one plant, he didn't like it for furthur bonsai training and brought it back to me... ;0)

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

It seems that this tread isn't that much interesting...
    Some more:
    'Kiyomatsu'
    {{gwi:750547}}

'Kokuho'
    {{gwi:599943}}

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's received more photos I think then any but Picea abies and Picea pungens photo gallery Edwin!

I think I'm all tapped out of parviflora's. I have dozens it seems but you have hundreds of them! :)

-Will

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Yep, you're right Will, but last year we had a great tread with the Picea pungens cultivars parade, we saw a lot of pics then of this conifer group and this will only happen once I think...

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

'Koraku' (aka 'Koraku-goyo')

'Kusu-dama'

'Middeltip'

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

Here's the pungens link.

Not the record holder ....I have seen them in the high 70's but this is a good one.

Can't beat pungens for all the different forms in addition to contrasting blues and greens.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea pungens cultivars parade

• redwingconifer
    13 years ago

Hi all-

I've been busy adding an addition to a conifer bed this spring- some crowding/growing into each other starting to happen.

P. p. 'Nellie D.' -growing more rapidly than I anticipated and will be moved.

P.p. 'Little Hedgehog' -Another parv that is growing into its neighbor.

P.p. 'Jim's Mini Curl'- I've had this for a few years and can not understand what is going on with it. It will put out some nice new growth and then about half of it turns brown and dies. One side of the plant dies one year and the other side the next. I'm going to move it to the new bed and see what happens. Some strange things happen in this particular area that are not typical of the rest of my yard.

thanks, shannon

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Thanks.

Dax

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Have to say that many of the John Proudfoot parvifloras are not as slow growing as first anticipated, especially once they get their feet into the ground.

• redwingconifer
    13 years ago

"Have to say that many of the John Proudfoot parvifloras are not as slow growing as first anticipated, especially once they get their feet into the ground."

- I totally agree that is the case with the two that I have. Years 1-3 were very tight/compact growth and then they have started to open up and throw out longer growth. Still nice plants- just not the miniatures that I bought them as.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Some more...
    'Pygmy Yatsubusa'

'Regenhold'

'W.B.'
    {{gwi:626685}}

• rockhaven
    13 years ago

Has anyone else had problems with Kokuho and/or Hagoromo? I haven't had issues with other parvifloras in my yard(ie, Hakko, Ibokan, Miyajima, Bergmanii, Wy East, etc.) but these two varieties won't stay alive. I have gone through three five-gallon plants of each over the past 5 years (and yes, I do know the definition of stupidity). Any ideas from the experts would be appreciated.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Yeah, this is a sweet thread:

Pinus parviflora Tenysu-kazu
    {{gwi:704691}}

Pinus parviflora Tone
    {{gwi:704659}}

Pinus parviflora Beran

Pinus parviflora Blue Wave

Pinus parviflora Cleary

Pinus parviflora Gimborn's Ideal - tunilla, you had the nicest specimen I'd seen...

Pinus parviflora Nasu Juraku
    {{gwi:680117}}

Pinus parviflora Myo-jo
    {{gwi:679048}}

Dax

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Pinus parviflora Pygmy Yatsubusa (aka Yatsubusa)

Dax

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Rockhaven, the problem could be fungal related, I have also had problems with two 'Hagoromo' in the past , both died after about 3-4 years, also starting to have problems with one or two other cultivars,small patches of dead branches beginning to appear, which is exactly what started to happen with the Hagoromos generally seems to be a problem with the tighter growing broom like cultivars.

• tunilla
    13 years ago

Yes Dax, I DID have. I'm still wondering what happened to it and his companionplant 'Negishi'.Wished that people who practice re-sale (bought-in plants) would inquire themselves with their suppliers regarding the understocks used and their suitability for such and such a soil or climate.
    BTW Looks like Will has one of the most fertile soils on earth -if that makes sense. Soon he will have a giant dwarf-conifer forest. May have to buy a miniature chainsaw or a very sharp spade and some more land...T.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

The 'Negishii' isn't a true Pinus parviflora cultivar, it's a cross with a Pinus pumila which can't be propagated on a 5 needled understock, it must be grafted on a 2 needled understock like Pinus contorta.
    As Stephen suggests, Pinus sylvestris understock is also a good option but I don't have no experience with it.
    It's possible that the 'Negishii' will take for a while on a 5 needled understock, but one day or the other it will die...

• longaeva54
    13 years ago

Pinus parviflora Hatchichi

Pinus parviflora Shimada

• longaeva54
    13 years ago

Coniferjoy ,You mean that all Pinus pumila cv. must be grafted on Pinus contota understock,but Pinus cembra is related to Pinus pumila.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Yep, Pinus contorta is a fine understock for all Pinus pumila cultivars.
    Why grafting on a 5 needled understock as a 2 needled understock can be used?
    Most 5 needled understock gives trouble when cultivated in a pot, there's always a chance that these will die because of root rot disease, which is always a pitty...

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Longaeva,you show a nice plant :Pinus parviflora Shimada.
    Have you a source for me buy 1 ? where you live ?
    Clément
    Belgium

• darob
    13 years ago

I greet

Pinus parviflora ,Tsai's Cushion WB,
    Darek

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Pinus parviflora x pumilla Negishi (correct spelling and hybridization?) of course I grafted to strobus . . . :(

Stephen who recommended sylvestris and how many years total has parviflora been seen, to be, successful?

Anyone: Why not use cembra? Has this proven unsuccessful or, use parviflora?? These are definitely a lot closer matches than any 2-needled. Is there anyone using parviflora for parviflora? When I grafted at Rich's Foxwillow Pines Nursery several years ago, he had parviflora understock, for parviflora..... Is it not a good match for 'Negishi'sp? or for other parviflora?

Thanks very much,

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Dax, 5 days ago I wrote the answer to your P. cembra understock quiestion...

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    13 years ago

Dax - does this mean I need to change the name on the tag?

Marshall

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Apparently so - Marshall. I guess enjoy it while you can or if you wish, I'll re-graft you one - seems kind of silly to start over - but I'll do whatever you want. I don't have the plant, ya know.

Edwin, I understand now. Why make it more complicated as I have done.

Dax

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    13 years ago

Dax - I'll keep what I have Thank You though.

Here's a shot of a plant I've had for ten years. I acquired it from a local nursery and the plant had about half of the main leader broken off. Plant is about 4 foot tall and as wide. I do a bit of candle pruning every season and prune out any leader that wants to become dominate. If I can get another ten years out of it, I'll be happy.
    Pinus parviflora 'Templehof'

Marshall

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Dax, sorry just noticed your post here....regarding the use of 2 needled sylvestris understocks being compatible for 5 needled parviflora...It's just information that was passed onto me by one or two very experienced propagators here in the UK, can't say why it works, just seems to, and i have been useing them for about 10 years now with no ill affects so far as I am aware. I have also seen one or two older plants that also look fine.Apparently it will also work with other 5 needle pines, but not with Strobus. As Edwin says most European growers no longer use strobus understocks because of the root rot problems associated with them in container growing.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Appreciate that Stephen. And, Good luck Marshall.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Marshall, you showed us a very nice plant and I can see that you do some candle pruning because it's true habit is a much more open tree form.
    You have to change the name from 'Templehof' to 'Tempelhof' which is Dutch for temple garden.

• longaeva54
    13 years ago

Dax,grafting Pinus parviflora on Pinus sylvestris understocks,
    they will die sooner or later,unless you plant the graft union deep,so it can root. I have 25 years old pinus parviflora Glauca which was grafted on Pinus sylvestris understock,I planted the union graft deep.You can use pinus sylvestris understocks for grafting Pinus cembra,Pinus koraiensis and pinus pumila. According to Bartels, pinus cembra and Pinus peuce which are related to Pinus pumila,can be used as understocks for Pinus pumila.
    Pinus parviflora Kan zan

Pinus parviflora Kokuhu

• gardener365
    13 years ago

I will certainly add that to my grafting notes...

Best Regards,

Dax

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

Tempelhof has the same meaning also in German, as in Dutch per Coniferjoy, but Tempelhof is also a section of Berlin, Germany. Google has pages about explaining Berlin Tempelhof, and one Chamaecyparis obtusa.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Bernd, do you mean that the Pinus parviflora 'Tempelhof' and Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Tempelhof' are both German selections?

• dorotamon
    6 years ago

This is a very old post, I would love to see the update on the Pinus parviflora 'Gyokkasen', "Cleary", "Negishi", "Glauca Brevifolia"... I can only get one. Would you please reload the pictures? thank you....