Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Pseudotsuga menziesii Photo Gallery 2010

One conifer that is a weed tree around my neck of the woods is the coastal doug-fir. While some cultivars are technically 'mountain' doug-fir, I am not sure how to determine which are and aren't, so I've labeled them all Pseudotsuga menziesii'. Lots of dwarf, intermediate and large clones are available though I have yet to see any that I would classify as 'true miniatures'. Here's some from my gardens, I'd love to see some of yours.

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Hillside Gold'. Intermediate to large - blue new foliage over the existing cold-turned creme/yellow foliage. I love it.

'Valdstejn'. As close to a miniature as I own, grows about 4 centimeters a year(less then 2 inches).

'Tingle' Another near miniature, typically written as 'Tingle #83' though I removed the numbers on my tag.

'Elegans'. A medium growing, semi-upright weeping chaos of beautiful blue needles. I think it's the same plant as 'Glauca Pendula' though I'd need help here.

'Fletcheri'. A small dwarf with great blue-green foliage. Shouldn't it be 'Fletcherii'? Had to have it, I'm a 'Fletcher'.

'Fretzii'. A highly unusual clone, the needles look almost like they should be on a perennial or some type of yew.

Post yours!

-Will

Comments (17)

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Hi will,

Last year I posted all my Pseudotsuga menziesii cultivars.

Henk and I have the 'Tingle' under #73 instead of #83.
    It's a witches'broom found by Jerry Morris.
    Maybe Nate can help us out which number is right...

'Elegans' is a pretty fast growing tree form.
    It's not a weeping form, just a blue needled selection.

'Fretzii' must be written as 'Fretsii'.
    It's found by the Frets Nursery from Boskoop, Holland.
    Indeed, this is a very special form because of it's differend needles.

You wrote 'Fletcheri' in the right way.
    However it's found in 1923, so 'Fletcherii' it should be...

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Edwin. I'm very appreciative of your corrections - they may not be correctly listed on tags, but hopefully my conifer DVD full of yearly pictures is mostly correct.

I have a lot of doug-firs, they are certainly one of my favorite genus of conifers. I think I can share another dozen or two!

-Will

• dansgrdn
    13 years ago

Nice ones Will. I'm a big fan of Douglas Fir brooms. I'll have to take some more pics, but here are a few.

P.m. 'Stormy'

P.m. 'Mackiness Broom'

P.m. 'Blue Lullaby'

Dan

• redwingconifer
    13 years ago

Will- I really like the 'Fretsii'. Very unusual needles indeed for Douglas fir.

Dan- love the 'Blue Lullaby'. Wonderful color. Question- what is the pine to the back and right of P.m.'Stormy'?

- and just when I thought this was going to be a year off from adding more cultivars... now 2 more go onto a buiding must-have list....(sigh)

shannon

• dansgrdn
    13 years ago

Hi Shannon, the pine behind and to the right is a very small Pinus aristata 'Blue Bear' . It'll get big eventually, but aristatas grow really slow for me so it'll probably hang out in this spot for a while.

Dan

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan - you probably hear it a lot - but I'll boost it up again, your gardens are unbelievably well maintained and picture perfect. It's almost as if someone took a computer program, wrote in several dozen lines of code describing what goes where and how it should look, and then created photoshopped images! How can there be no weeds!? No stray leaves! I KNOW HOW!! YOU WORK HARD!! Well, directing this at your knees and back: Good job! It's worth every ache.

Oh, and I LOVE 'Blue Lullaby' also, I'll have to grab one of those when I see one.

-Will

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A few more 'dougs' today:

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Pyramidalis'. A very nice compact upright with almost teal-blue needles, again, unusual for a doug-fir.

Closeup.

'Ewe's Golden'. Not sure if this should be Uwe's Golden, maybe someone can help. Appears to be dwarfish.

'Sinclair's Weeping'. There are literally dozens of weepers. Brutal for collectors!

'Happy Camper'. A tiny little guy. OK I take it back, this has to be my smallest doug-fir.

'Emerald Twister'. Wildly twisting, semi-upright tree forms a broad shrub. Older specimens are AMAZING!

'Foxy Fir'

'Graceful Grace'. Eventually forms a sculptural form. More common then other weepers for good reason!

Lots more when I have time!

-Will

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Yes, Uwe (Uwe Horstmann nurseryman)
    Clément

• dansgrdn
    13 years ago

Will, you're adding to my wish list with all of your terrific pics. I especially like 'Pyramidalis'. Thanks for the nice comments. It's a little hard work and a lot of cropping :). Unfortunately I don't have the beautiful natural backdrop that you do.

Here's a couple more:
    P.m. 'Shell Creek #72'

P.m. 'Yeager's Broom' (just got this a couple weeks ago)

Dan

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Will, the 'Ewe's Golden' must be writte as 'Uwe's Golden' and is not dwarfish,it will grow into a tree.
    This spring the one at my Pinetum made a growing rate of 40 centimetres!

Dan, you also have a very nice variety of this species!

• sluice
    13 years ago

Will and Dan, those are some great looking plants!

'Imabeaut'

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Trying to finish adding a few more of my plants before I go on a road trip next week:

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Hale'. A very small new bright-green dwarf.

'Yahoo'. I love plants like this. I can sneak them into tiny openings in the landscape, surround them with some neat rocks and let them shine for a couple decades.

'Seattle Mountain'. A very nice gold/green doug-fir, moderate grower, lovely plush needles.

'Mucronata'. No info, watching it's health.

Name lost. A strong upright blue/green weeper. According to Jim Boyko it's relatively narrow and strongly weeping, similar perhaps to Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns'.
    {{gwi:681610}}

'Hess' Select'. A very nice blue color. Seems to grow pretty fast, this specimen only gets 4-6 hours of late day sun and seems OK.

'Little Jon'. Tiny little thing.

'Wycoff's Big Blue'. I might have the wrong name, as this plant has been in the ground over two years and still isn't 'Big'.

-Will

• bartel
    13 years ago

Pseudotsuga menziesii glauca pendula
    {{gwi:750061}}

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Only one more today, I haven't taken many photos in a while and I'm on a week+ long trip across Yellowstone, Grand Teton park and then possibly some storm chasing before I resume posting lots of pics!

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Blue Bear'. A newer blue clone, no idea to it's eventual size, nice color though, almost as blue as picea pungens.

-Will

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Look more Abies (lasiocarpa) than Pseudotsuga .
    ???????
    Clément

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll have to post some closer images later Clement, it sure doesn't look like Pseudotsuga to me either. I received it first hand though from a nursery owner in Oregon who said he introduced it.

More to wrap up my contributions to this thread.

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Sweet Sarah'. A very small dwarf, mine seems to have small burn spots each year, despite plenty of water. (too much water?).

'Yang's Weeping'. A new cultivar selected by a local nursery owner and friend of mine. Fast growing and branches coming down. The name isn't registered, just credited.

'Carnifix Weeping'. No information and my plant is too young.

'Weep Willie'. This plant is reputed to get very large and clearly I'm going to have to move it, or it's neighbors in 3-5 years.

'C. Sue'. No idea, other then it's a dwarf.

'Marshall'. Blue foliage, I think a large upright but mine isn't real happy. :(

-Will

• crypper
    13 years ago

here's one of my favorites that hasn't been covered, yet.

Ps men. 'Bila Lhota'