Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Pinus mugo Photo Gallery 2010

Going to slowly start this gallery as well, please share any mugo cultivars you have.

Pinus mugo 'Yellow Point'. Great coloration.

Comments (41)

• darob
    13 years ago

I greet
    in the collection I have many Pinus mugo
    This is one of them
    Pinus mugo 'Milky Way'[Zaailing witbont P.Vereijken]

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

That Pinus mugo var pumilio 'Milky Way' is a Dutch seedling selection found by Piet Vereijken.

This is also a Dutch seedling selection, found by myself:
    Pinus mugo (var. mughus) 'Filip's Crown Juwel'

I found this one in a seedbed, it's extra pair of small needles around it's buds make's it very special (to me ;0) )

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pinus mugo 'Jacobsen'. A wonderful dwarf mugo with funky growth, great compact needles and an open, irregular habit. A really nice plant.

Pinus mugo 'Green Candles'. No info. Green is so unusual for a mugo!!

'Marand'. Funky varigated growth is it's selection point. Mine has increased slowly in color in the first two years, maybe eventually it will get brighter?

'Pal Maleter'. Cool colors and cones!
    {{gwi:685797}}

'Aurea'. Gold hues in winter, nowhere near as bright as...

'Carsten's Wintergold'. Really growing like a weed in my garden and one of the brightest conifers in Winter, period.

'Mitsch Mini'

-Will

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

It's nothing special, and I hope you won't mind my posting it here...but it's a nice little tree....
    The first one I tried, died; this one I'll be sure to water all Summer....

Josh

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I always encourage people to share their photos. Sometimes you learn something, others you find a plant you're really looking for. Either way, it's a community of plant lovers sharing their photos, goodstuff!

-Will

13 years ago

Thanks, Will.
    I love all the photos, but seldom have any of my own to add.

Josh

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

The following cultivar names mistakes I mentioned at least 10 times at this forum:
    Pinus mugo 'Jacobsen'
    Must be written as Pinus mugo Jakobsen.
    This seedling selection is found by Arne vagn Jakobsen from Denmark.
    It's probably a cross with Pinus nigra.

Pinus mugo 'Carsten's Wintergold'
    Must be written as Pinus mugo 'Carstens'.
    This seedling selection is found by the Carstens Baumschule from Germany.
    Will, your's isn't the true one, it'grows to fast and it don't have the little extra needles around the buds, just like my 'Filip's Crown Jewel'.
    Your's is a 'Zundert' or a 'Golden Glow' which is hard to see at this stadium.
    When it is a 'Zundert' you will see white buds with a lot of resin in Autumn and Winter.
    Pinus mugo 'Carstens'
    {{gwi:653948}}

'Marand' is found in Holland by the Van Nijnatten brothers and is a mix of ntheir first names, Marcel and André.
    Will, mine is the same as yours and I'm afraid that the colouration won't be better...

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pinus mugo 'Jakobsen'! Mercy I swear once I spelled it as such and was told the proper spelling was Jacobsen. It's secure on my end anyways, Jakobsen it is, thanks Edwin.

Noted about 'Carstens' as well, it didn't match up to me either as my other specimen is much shorter and slower growing. I'm fairly certain the specimen I showed must be 'Zundert' then as I've never bought 'Golden Glow' and as a new collector I had a hard time discerning the differences between Zundert and Carstens. Thanks again Edwin, I'd be pretty mixed up withour your help.

'Jakobsen'!

:)

-Will

• darob
    13 years ago

I greet
    Pinus mugo , Cameleon,
    I Greet Darek

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Spellchech Darek, it's 'Chameleon' instead of 'Cameleon'.
    This is a Dutch seedling selection found by Vic van Lier.
    The yellow tips will turn into a reddish brown in Autumn.

'Kokarde'

'Sunshine'

'Misty'
    {{gwi:627946}}

• darob
    13 years ago

I greet
    Thanks to Edwin the dust so her described.
    As torrid heats will pass this I will drive up to you Darek

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is anyone able to translate for Darek? It'd be great if he could participate fully and besides bringing a crooked smile to my face, I'd like to help him understand us(and visa versa). Not that my Dutch is any better!

-Will

13 years ago

"I'll bring one to you, after summer's over..." ;)

(I love the poetry into which Dutch falls)

Am I correct?

Josh

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Hahaha, the thing is that Darek can't speak a word of the English language, he only speak the Polish language.
    His daughter Daria tries to do her very best to translate her father words for us, but she's not into the conifer world.
    She told me that he (Darek) will visit me when the hot temperature will leave his country.
    Pfff, today in Holland we had temperatures today of 38 degrees Celsius...

Will, the Dutch language is almost the same as the English language, you only have to use your fantasy ;0

13 years ago

Fantastic! Polish! ;)
    I think you all communicate quite well...and with much color!

Josh

• darob
    13 years ago

You speak well Edwin
    I Apologize for the my language
    Darek
    Pinus mugo,Prerov,

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A handful more as I wander about my gardens:

Pinus mugo 'Weis' Blue'. A cool mugo with dense branching and a hint of blue to it.

'Horstmann W.B.'. Named after none other.

'Edsal Wood'. A great little mugo, I owe my first-born for this plant to Bob Fincham.

'Tiny Needle'. Appropriate, if bit uninspiring name'.

'Sherwood Compact'. I presume from the UK area? Wonderful form.

'Donna's Mini'. Another itsy bitsy mugo - they're dotted every spot I had a little space in my gardens.

'White Bud'. Presumably white buds? I didn't notice this Spring.

Much more hidden around here somewhere I'm sure.

-Will

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Is that a witches'broom in the centre of your 'Donna's Mini' Will???

• evansgm
    13 years ago

One of the smallest in my mini conifer garden. Planted in the fall of 2009 and it has grown 1/4-1/2" this spring. I cannot find any information on this little creature - it was labled as Pinus mugo 'Reiseinberger' - any info would be greatly appreciated.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sure appears that way Edwin. Upon closer inspection there's a small pocket in the middle where the buds are about 1/2 the size(or a little less) then the others in the plant. I suspect it's a WB. Should I monitor it for a year or two and keep the branches from choking it out?

-Will

• darob
    13 years ago

I greet
    Pinus mugo,WB2,
    I Greet Darek

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Nice mugo's. Will if that's a WB you've stumbled onto something great. I think Fincham would be over"joyed" to have that ~ LOL

As I say, excellent photos...

Dax

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Don't want to put a dampener on things....but i would hold fire before you get too excited over the possible broom on the 'Donna's Mini'...many of these mugo 'Mops' types can produce varying vigour on the shoots within the same plant. I would advise observation for a couple of years or more to make sure the possible broom is stable before you start sending pieces off to be propagated.

• sluice
    13 years ago

Golden Glow

Here's a link to a previous thread on mini mugos, one of my favorites!

Here is a link that might be useful: mini mugos

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well hopefully it is something special. I'd say he's first in line to most anything really cool that my plants produce - most of them are from his great gardens and I owe my startup as a collector to him.

Some more mugo's today!

'Slowmound'. Similar to 'Sherwood Compact', it's dense, low, bushy and very uniform.

'Picobello'. Another new introduction I picked up at Coenosium Gardens.

'Carstens'. Pretty sure about this labeling as it shows the characteristic needles.

'Zundert'. Funky, still holding over some of it's Winter coloration. Does this plant know it's July??

'Ambergold'. A nice compact Mugo that turns bright gold with some orangy hues in Winter.

'Rodda'. Pretty choice in my eyes, very compact growth.

-Will

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Very, vvvvery! choice...

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

'Frodo'
    {{gwi:689648}}

'Hereygers'
    {{gwi:689650}}

'Minima Kalous'
    {{gwi:689655}}

• longaeva54
    13 years ago

Pinus mugo Viki

Pinus Malik hexe

• rispetto
    13 years ago

{{gwi:749604}}
    Pinus mugo Maria

{{gwi:749606}}
    Pinus mugo Jirka Sourek

{{gwi:749608}}
    Pinus mugo Kissen Brevifolia

{{gwi:749609}}
    Pinus mugo Orange Sun

• darob
    13 years ago

I greet

Pinus mugo ,Suncrest broom Sport,
    Darek

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Longaeva,
    Nice pics of these P. mugo cultivars.
    'Viky' is a very special one because of it's curly needles.
    Is this a witches'broom or a seedling selection?
    Do you know the origin of this one?

'Malik Hexe' is super, found by my Czech friend Mr. Malik.
    It's also a "dangerous" witches'broom because it's so thight it will die inside because of no air in it.
    You have to cut it open every 2 years which will look ugly in the beginning but after a while it will grow back into a nice shape ball.
    If you cut it open I'll be happy to exchange some scionswood with you ;0)

Rispetto, also nice pics.
    The 'Maria' is a very special variegated one, I have it also in my collection and the positive thing about it is that the yellow needles will not burn in full sun.

'Kissen Brevifolia' isn't the right name.
    The first name given to this one was 'Brevifolia' but because it was found after 1959 it was renamed in 'Kissen'.

'Orange Sun' is a strange one, when it's cultivated in a pot with a good potting it'scolor will turn into a nice combination of orange and green needles.
    When planted in the garden with a sandy soil, it's orange part will not appear...

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Edwin, If you have Pinus mugo 'Maria' put me down for a dozen scions please! :0)))

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Good-looking mugos.

Dax

• longaeva54
    13 years ago

Coniferjoy, I don't have them in my collection.I have no information about them.

• darob
    13 years ago

I greet

P.mugo,Aureovariegata Pancoca,

P.mugo ,Kafumbi,

P.mugo var.pumilio,David Compressa,

I Greet Darek

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Darek, it's 'Aureovariegata Panoch' instead of 'Aureovariegata Pancoca'.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

My mistake, it's 'Albovariegata Panoch'...

'Kafumbi' is the new name for 'Mops Enkhuizen H.B.'
    It's one of the many witches'brooms found on a 'Mops' in a town named Enkhuizen in the Netherlands.
    I know that it's not smart to rename a plant, this will create another confusion.

• severnside
    13 years ago

Pinus mugo 'Benjamin'
    {{gwi:749614}}

• maryn2009
    13 years ago

Pinus mugo 'Orange Sun' on clay soil.

Maria

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Now you mentioned it Maria, the clay part in my good potting soil mix could be the reason that the 'Orange Sun' in containers will show their orange colour in Autumn and Winter.
    They will stay green once these are planted in the sandy soil which doesn't contain clayish parts...

• maryn2009
    13 years ago

Edwin, it is even more bright in reality, but my camera refuse to reproduce it.

It will be very interesting for me to compare all winter-colored mugos about their color-hues, growth rate and how easy they become gold.

A little bit more.

Pinus mugo 'Starkl'

Pinus mugo 'Gordon Bentham'

Pinus mugo 'Dikobraz'

Maria