Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmarker

Gold/Yellow Weepers

plantmarker
13 years ago

Hi Folks -

I am looking for recommendations for cultivars with strong gold/yellow coloration that are weeping, needing to be staked for height and, then, cascading down towards the ground. I do not want it to be deciduous. An ideal dream plant would be Picea orientalis 'Skylands Weeping', if it existed. I don't suppose there is anything like that.... is there?

Thanks!

PlantMarker

Comments (19)

• kaitain4
    13 years ago

Picea abies 'Gold Drift' comes to mind, but I don't know if there are a lot of plants like the one you describe. I would love to have something like that as well...

• Greenthumb
    13 years ago

'Gold Drift' is pretty much it if you want a gold, weeping conifer. It's a very nice plant, too, BTW.
    Mike

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Actually there are quite a few options, albeit certainly Gold Drift is widely considered the most attractive and coveted gold, weeping conifer.

In zone 7, try some Cedrus deodara cultivars. I would recommend 'Bergmann's Gold Prostrate', 'Klondike', 'Gold Horizons', 'Gold Cascade', and 'Gold Mound'.

-Will

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Cryptomeria japonica Barabits Gold (looks cascading but doesn't need to be staked... same ease of control thru pruning. Here is a photo from Darren (Whistling Gardens):

• plantmarker
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the recommendations!

PlantMarker

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

My Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Filip's Golden Tears' is the one which comes pretty close to your expectations.
    Unfortunately it isn't available in the U.S. yet.
    This is the one which grows at my Pinetum.
    {{gwi:666005}}

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

You just gotta keep teasing us, don't you Edwin?

tj

• abciximab
    13 years ago

Can Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Filip's Golden Tears' be purchased abroad and shipped into the United States? I'm not familiar with importation laws and procedures.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Possibly, abcimixab. I've heard (don't know for certain) that Canada can import from Europe and thru this process you could technically purchase from Canada and shipped to the US.

Edwin, that was my first thought that came to mind, also. Problem for PlantMarker is that Chamaecyparis lawsoniana would never tolerate the heat and humidity of the south US. The heat/humidity would be more detrimental than the cold of any winters within the US. Lawsoniana is definitely a no-go for you PlantMarker.

Dax

• plantmarker
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, Dax -

Edwin's marvelous C. lawsoniana cultivar would become a weeping brown conifer in June where I live.

PlnatMarker

• abciximab
    13 years ago

How about Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Boyko's Sundown'? It's a light green/yellow and pendulus. I planted a small specimen this spring. Hopefully it will become more yellow in full sun but too early to know thus far.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

This Database should help you immensely in yer selections. I am very surprised to see C.lawsoniana in their plant collections. You could always email them from their website with questions, as I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

Cox Arboretum, Canton, GA

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Tommy, I don't tease you with that photo, I want to prepare the U.S. members that this beautiful gold weeping one will be availlable one day... ;0)

Dax, I'm not familiar with export to Canada.
    Maybe you can search this out if this is possible?

The 'Boyco's Sundown' is narrow at a young age, but will grow wider to at least 2 metres wide at a later age.
    It's not a true weeper, but a semi weeper then.

• texjagman
    13 years ago

Was also looking at Cham Noot Boyko's Sundown and Boyko's Aurea Pendula. Are these one in the same? I can't find any info to say they aren't. But I also can't find any pictures of any beyond 2 year grafts.

Can anyone help?

mark

• abciximab
    13 years ago

I was told by Arrowhead Alpines that Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Boyko's Sundown' and 'Boyko Aureo Pendula' were the same. I couldn't find much information either.

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

We may need Bob Fincham to provide us more information here. I think he named the plant for Jim Boyko as Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Boyko's Sundown'. It does have weeping characteristics, but eventually grows wider then many of the more narrow Alaskan cedars. The older ones I saw reminded me more of plants like Cham. nootkatensis 'Glauca Pendula' in that the branches weep but not so hard that it becomes a narrow sentinal.

My specimen, probably 4-5 years old. The coloration is a nice gold all year with the weakest color from about December to April.

Gold Drift, I'd guess to be about 8-10 years old. By this age the very large, thick needles and branches becomes more evident.

-Will

• texjagman
    13 years ago

Ok smart guy....so where did you find an 8-10 year old Gold Drift? You know people like me are practically offering gold bars for an older specimen.

Get it from Bob or Boyko maybe.....come on, spill it......

mark

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

lol Mark, I hope you don't think my landscaping is THAT crowded haha!

Yes, the photo is from Jim Boyko's nursery. I visited with Bob last December and it was a treat, Jim is a great guy. From what I understand, he isn't selling his 'Gold Drift' lots to retailers yet, but I imagine that will happen soon enough.

-Will

• agniss
    2 years ago

RIP, Jim Boyko. I bought two 6' 'Gold Drift' from him three years ago.