Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jalovik

ID Thuja please

jalovik
10 years ago

I own nursery of conifers in Serbia and we have this cultivar for years labeled as "Thuja occidentalis Foetidissima", but since i can't find it by it's name on google i am guessing that we are wrong. I was on a trip in Budapest and i saw one in some garden center labeled as "Thuja occidentalis Recurva nana" - but that was wrong also... So i hope someone will know it's true identity:

- It's growing really slow, this one is 20+ years old:

Comments (5)

• jalovik
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And those are 4-5 years old grown in pots.

Thank you.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Hi, Jalovik.
    That's a Thuja occidentalis 'Recurvata'.

Where in Serbia do you live, and which other conifers do you grow?
    Do you've selections found by yourself?

• jalovik
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, coniferjoy

Thank you for quick response. Unfortunately on google there aren't many photos of "Recurvata", do you, maybe, have some photos of it? :-)

This one is too spherical to be the same specie (maybe it was prunned):
    http://images.kurowski.pl/foto/thuja_occidentalis_Recurvat.jpg

This one is too narrow: http://www.horticultureimages.com/_ccLib/image/stock/THUM220-10181.jpg

And this one really looks like it, but it is still pretty narrower (maybe because of the soil) than mine:
    http://www.zszp.pl/resize.php?id=17216&typ=rosliny&width=640&auto=2

----

We are in the western serbia, around 80km from the capital, Belgrade and this year we took cuttings for rooting from 82 different species of thuja, chamaecyparis, juniperus, taxus, picea and pinus... Currently in sale we have around 55 different species, you can also check our website:

www.cetinari.rs - it's not translated in english, but on page "Ponuda" you can see some (not all - it should be updated soon) species that we have separated in "Vertical", "Spherical" and "Bushy" groups...

Unfortunately, we only grow dwarf conifers and not the large ones so it is hard for me to find new selections in forests, but i have some albovariegata mutation of thuja occidentalis that was produced by seed and i will take pictures, as i belive it might be the new specie...

Two years ago I cut the mutated branch and left it for rooting and it was successful, now i am waiting for it to grow a little bit so i can take new cuttings, it's about 10cm high right now, with only few branches...

If you are interested i can upload a list of conifers we grow, and thank you again for your help :-)

This post was edited by Jalovik on Sun, May 12, 13 at 4:39

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Jalovik, I think the best photo on the internet now is your's :0)
    Unfortunately I don't have no photos of this cultivar availlable.
    There's a nice photo of an older specimen in the new conifer encyclopedia made by Aris Auders and Derek Spicer.

The first photo you mentioned is probably a 'Recurva Nana', these are mixed up a lot.

The second photo is a true 'Recurvata' but it was sheared.

Unfortunately I can't open the thirth photo...

Thanks for showing your website.
    I also see that you've to change Thuja occ. 'Kolumnea' into 'Columna'.
    I also saw a few other mistakes.
    If you wish you can write me an email (see my page) and I'll help you out.
    If you do, please include your assortment list.

I variegated form of Thuja occidentalis found as a seedling could be interesting.
    I'm very curious how it looks like...

• jalovik
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dear coniferjoy,

I have to sent you mail to "edwinsmitsconifers" adress included on your page with our assortment list and photos of this mutation i mentioned.

Thank you for your help and I hope you don't mind me asking you for some more information in the future if needed...