Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Picea engelmannii Snake

i really see no difference between this and glauca fort anne ....

looks like last years growth rate indicates a very happy babe ... but i wonder why no side shoots last season ...

ken

{{gwi:724608}}

Comments (12)

• jaro_in_montreal
    13 years ago

I see quite a difference between the european variety of P.e.'Snake' and the North American version....

Maybe someone can explain it ? (Thnx)

Mine is too small now, to know which category it fits into....

Nice plant though, Ken, thanks for posting ! (how old ?)

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

My specimen is crooked, now I have staked it more upright and it is about 5 years old and has NEVER produced a single side branch. Very very unusual plant.

I'll post pics tomorrow,

-Will

• gardener365
    13 years ago

It'll catch up Ken. We are not in control, it's the plants, that are.

Will, keep it staked.

Dax

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

I have the 2 and they are very different.
    Clément

• bobfincham
    13 years ago

I brought Englemannii 'Snake' into the States in the late 70's as scion wood from Trompenburg. I believe that is the source of the plants in this country. My original plant was at Mitsch Nursery and may have been sold. The last time I saw it, it was over 15 feet, 5 meters, tall.

There may be two forms but I believe the difference would be due to the selection of the scion wood.

Bob

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok ... both are picea

one is sold as engelmannii .. the other as glauca..

my original question is why that part is different.. and

further.. if you think 'snake' and fort anne' are any different..

or did they all come from mr F

ken

here is an old pic of fort anne
    {{gwi:674260}}

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Hi Ken,

Bob's saying that when weak shoots of upright cultivars are grafted that they take a dis-similar form than those that are grafted from tip-leader "terminals." Those that are grafted of the weak, side-wood, they must be staked diligently and eventually, after some period of time, they will become typical-cultivar. I have heard though that this isn't full proof. Sometimes weaker, less & vigorous, might never make a cultivar. It's confusing, however it is, something along these lines.

Maybe you've heard here, often, that i.e. Picea pungens Glauca Procumbens was a plant that became what it is because it is grafted from the weak side shoots of an upright tree? This is certainly the case.

If Bob meant something different, I don't see it. Picea glauca Fort Ann is certainly it's own animal. Bob uses the phrase 'selection of the scionwood' - meaning, where the wood was cut from the plant.

Hope this helps!

Dax

• bobfincham
    13 years ago

Hi Guys,

I got too focused on the englemannii and thought we were discussing two forms of it.

Picea glauca 'Ft. Ann' came out of Vermont where it was introduced by Greg Williams. It is a "snake branched" form of Picea glauca and will be more branched than 'Snake'. The foliage is different as is the color. Both are very odd looking and the 'Ft. Ann' will become a much larger, more massive tree than 'Snake'.

Bob

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Picea glauca "Fort Anne" & Picea engelmannii "Snake"

Ken I show here 1 of each
    see the typical needles of last year of the 2 Picea.
    Generaly P. engelmannii "Snake" have a central leader, right.Like showed on you first photo.It's well engelmannii "Snake"
    Picea glauca "Fort Anne" are more monstuosus, with litle contorted branche, small and erect needles.
    I cutted back my plant in spring,too monstruosus.(Sorry)
    According with Bob.
    Clément

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

super.. finally ....

here is an admission :I AM A COLLECTOR .. i have little use for 2 of anything [SAVE A FEW THAT REALLY MAKE MY TOES TINGLE]...

i was concerned i had two of the same under two differing names ...

and now.. once clarified .... i have one of each... in step with my mission statement [and addiction] .. lol ..

thx

ken

ps: i have duplicates of hoopsi [plus thomsen, which i cant tell apart] and two tri color beech ... go figure ... that is what acreage is for ..

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Ken, remember I sent you about 10 or 12 Picea omorika seedlings and you replied in an email "what am I suppose to do with? Are they for understocks...)? "

I of course thought to myself, they're to plant! LOL

So, the question to you is, what did you do with them? (:0)

Dax

• jaro_in_montreal
    13 years ago

OK, here's a photo of my little one... Not looking too bad actually -- just not much clue about what it might end up looking like in 5 or 10 years....