Spring flushers & More

ricksample
12 years ago

Enjoy =)

Picea glauca 'Daisy's White'

Picea abies 'Perry's Gold'

Picea abies 'Nidiformis' With Daisy's White in the background

Picea pungens 'Gebelle's Golden Spring'

Pinus parviflora 'Blue Angel' - One of my bluest conifers, but doesn't show the blue as good in the photo

Picea glauca 'Mac Golden' - This has flushed around 5+ weeks ago and it's still a nice golden color, it was much brighter.

Pinus contorta 'Taylor's Sunburst' - The Best.

Picea glauca 'Elf'

Comments (22)

• Cher
    12 years ago

Great photos Rick. That Blue Angel is very blue, really like it. Hey what you have shaded in the shade cloth? Mac Golden sure filled out a lot this year.
    Cher

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

man your spacing cracks me up..

and reminds me so much of what mine looked like 10 years ago ... less a few mistakes i made ...

what is shaded in the mac golden pic ...

would love for you to climb on the roof and give us a whole overview ... any chance????

or put your address into bing maps.. and see what you can see ... and then link us ...

thx for the pix

ken

• severnside
    12 years ago

Spring definitely looks good in your garden! Lots of golds and creams...

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Don't change your spacing ... !! It's perfect, I swear to God.

Nice work there champ.

Dax

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Your 'Blauer Engel' looks perfect!

Your 'Mac's Golden' sure put on some nice growth. Did you do anything with the roots? Mine had a crappy set of roots so I didn't get as much boom if you will.

• Windhaven
    12 years ago

Rick, that looks like a really lovely piece of land. Your Picea glauca 'Mac Golden' is my favorite to be sure.
    I'm with Ken and would like to see the 'big' picture!

You know I really thought I had a handle on my plant addiction and plans of scaling back until I started frequenting these forums and seeing all the trees, plantings, grafts, brooms, heathers, on and on. My mind is doing cartwheels with thoughts of where I can add this or change that. You guys make it look so easy and I know it's not. Thanks for sharing and please, more pictures!

Robyn

• kbguess
    12 years ago

Looking nice. An assortment like you have sure makes spring fun... Thanks for the photos

Keith

• sluice
    12 years ago

Nice! I like the Picea pungens 'Gebelle's Golden Spring'

• ricksample
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! Behind that shade cloth is Pinus strobus 'Louie'.

Ken I have to ask, why does my spacing crack you up? lol

Will - That 'Mac Golden' was just planted this year from SongSparrow. I planted it right before it started to push about 5-6 weeks ago. The roots were great, no major surgery.

Maybe someday I'll get to show everyone the big picture from up top. Right now they all just look like Tiny specs because they are planted so far away from the house. Especially the bed with 'Mac Golden, Louie, etc'. That's one large bed, it's just not mulched yet. Bing maps and Google Earth hasn't updated my land since I built the house 3 years ago... I can't wait to check that out.

I'll take a few more photos to night... you can look foward to Picea glauca 'Pendula', Picea abies 'Gold Drift', Picea pungens 'Maigold' and some more. I'm still waiting for most of my Picea pungens to start pushing, they seem to be getting a very slow start.

• Cher
    12 years ago

ricksample I believe you are in Ohio also? Bing hasn't updated mine for maybe 5 years or more and the last one was taken in winter and before I put shrubs in, all you can see out back is half a yard of mulch since I cut back everything and a center of green grass. LOL Google hasn't updated in maybe 10 years. They must feel Ohio is not important to get more shots. (:
    Cher

• harv2016
    12 years ago

Always enjoy a peek into anyones garden, great pictures, you'll love the 'Perry's Gold'.

12 years ago

Ken I have to ask, why does my spacing crack you up? lol

===>> because i lived it 12 years ago ... all those babes.. with spacing for the mature plants they are ...

its like ... a 1 to 2 foot tree.. every 15 or 20 feet ...

i dont know.. its not an insult.. it just make me grin ... i hope you took it no other way ...

it takes 'vision' to do it right.. and it looks like you have every intent of doing it right ... it just looks a bit ridiculous .. AT THIS POINT IN TIME ... [was it you.. who was dreading the family visit.. and all those peeps who have no vision.. how did that all work out??]

ken

• ricksample
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cher - I'm in Ohio... Hopefully they give me another season or two before they update so I can have all the mulch in place and see what the design actually looks like. If it updated tomorrow, I wouldn't see anything but my lawn.

Ken - I was just wondering, that's all. I space the normal 6 x 3 spruce or pine so it can get to be at least 10' wide without touching the plant next to it. If they can get a lot smaller or larger, the size is adjusted. Smaller things are planted between to fill the space before the bed gets filled with mulch. It sucks that I have to space them so far apart, but it'll be easier than trying to move them later or cutting them down.

That was me who had the family issue. They haven't been over here since I got my massive spring order and everything planted lol... only time will tell how it will work out for me.

I think in that thread I decided to do one bed at a time which is what I'm doing. This bed (the one with 'Taylor's Sunburst') should be completed in about a week or so. Hopefully after they see this, they will start seeing the bigger picture.

• Cher
    12 years ago

ricksample if you are anywhere near the NE side of Dayton, we have the free mulch here. Email me from my page and I'll be happy to hook you up with the information. Or if not too far and you know someone with a big trailer, it would be worth your time to have the city load it up with their backhoe for you and drive home. None of this is a charge to you. Could save you many hundreds of dollars. I know the expense you are going through right now. Heck if coming down this way, I'll even hook you up with a bunch of my groundcover Sedums. :)
    Cher

• dietzjm
    12 years ago

Looking good, Rick. What is up with the stream behind Picea abies 'Nidiformis'? Do you have a water feature going on that you aren't showing us?

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Great pics!

Please rename the 'Blue Angel' back in it's original cultivar name which is 'Blauer Engel'.
    It's a German seedling selection.

You can cut off the lower side branch on the right of the Picea pungens 'Gebelle's Golden Spring'.
    By doing this you'll give it a better shape in the future...

• ricksample
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Cher... I wish I lived closer, I'm just over 3 hours Northeast of Dayton. Other wise I would be down lol.

Dietzjm - no water feature there, just a small dry river bed. I took those photos just after it stopped raining. I plan to outline that river bed with perrinials and add a few other things to make it look more natural.

Thanks Coniferjoy! I'll rename that to 'Blauer Engel', I had no idea. I'll also take care of that side branch

The last ones for now...

Picea pungens 'Maigold'

Picea glauca 'Pendula'

Pinus mugo 'Sherwood Compact' with Pinus sylvestris 'Little Brolly' in the background

Picea abies 'Gold Drift' - What's up with this? I thought it was supposed to be gold? It pushed gold then 3-4 days later turned green.

12 years ago

Picea abies 'Gold Drift' - What's up with this? I thought it was supposed to be gold? It pushed gold then 3-4 days later turned green.

==>> and i will bet.. you had a minor heat wave as the buds extended ..

cool spring.. late but long show

warm spring.. fast and furious ...

all of mine are rather less than startling this spring..

ken

• ricksample
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That could be, I had no idea the heat could cause it not to put on a show. Mental note taken & looking back at the begining of may we had a few days in the upper 80's.

• dansgrdn
    12 years ago

Hi Rick, I'm completely envious of your beautiful propetry. Great looking group of conifers! I especially like your 'Mac's Golden' which I don't have.
    If your Picea abies 'Gold Drift' is in full sun, which it appears to be, the sun should turn it gold again soon. It's not like the Spring colored pungens that quickly change and stay a a darker color. The rest of the year should bring gold and then possibly a more gold frosted look before next years gold flush.

Dan

• ricksample
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Dan I appriciate it! That's good to know about 'Gold Drift'... I thought this should have some golden highlights throughout the year and not just a spring flusher. When I received it last fall, it was a solid dark green. Then after the quick gold flush this spring, it had me thinking if this was the correct plant. It's in full sun, so hopefully it will show some gold in the coming weeks.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    12 years ago

Rick, The day is coming when your place is gonna be incredible...youll be giving tours!