Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crypper

Picea abies photo gallery 2010

crypper
13 years ago

I beat Sparky to the punch on these next two. Here's a selection of my Picea abies that are less commonly seen. Enjoy!

-Dave

Picea abies 'Zajacice' Noted for nice tight growth with an occasional long sprout that clumps up later.

Picea abies 'Chrudim WB' May or may not be the correct CV name. This one's a real tiny slow grower.

Picea abies 'Pusch' in the foreground. 'Tufty' in the back. Tufty's the one you don't see every day.

Picea abies 'Dumpy' tight tight tight. Not as dense as an own-rooted specimen, but is getting denser as time goes on. Instant gratification?

Last, but not least is Picea abies 'Clanbrassiliana' IMO as very important plant for any conifer collection. This is a descendant of the first named conifer cultivar in history.

Comments (20)

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Great Dave! I have some plants to contribute to both - I'll get started with a bunch for both posts tomorrow. I think I'll also start one or two more photo galleries, so we can get through most of them by mid-Summer(July-ish). I was leaning towards Abies concolor and Cedrus atlantica. I'd prefer to leave the pines until later in June when their candles finally spread.

-Sparky(lol)

• kbguess
    13 years ago

My 1st successful conifer graft was early 2008 from a Picea abies broom found at a cemetery in Warsaw, IL.

This is that graft. Picea abies 'Chillin' Phil' named by Dax for his dad

Keith

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Don't forget guys, you can re post all these galleries probably Sept, Oct, coz they will all look completely different by then, and at there best IMHO.

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

I'm planning on sharing about 80% of my conifers via these posts Blue, so posting 20-30 photos a week, I should be just finishing up by Fall. I simply *have* to start taking photos now because I won't have time to do them all in a 2-3 week period. I'm attempting to catalog every unique conifer I have over the next 10+ years. Should be a fun project, albeit quite difficult!

Some Picea abies in my gardens:

Picea abies 'Horace Wilson'. Sorry, blurry photo. I have so many small dwarf/miniature Picea abies, I don't have a proper appreciation for their small nuances yet. Hopefully in time...

'Mukii'. Hopefully OK crunched up against my deck!

'Stoner'. And no, that's not understock. See how small the growth is on top? It's apparently an odd branch that fired off and is not reverting back to a more normally slow speed. Wierd plant to be sure, but interesting. 5 years old.

'Sedliel'. Grows about 2 inches a year - probably the oldest plant in my gardens - 15 years or so.

'Hildburghausen'. Some discussion as to this plant as incorrectly labeled. Either way, I like it. A lot.

Purchased as 'Repens'. Dunno?

'Goblin'. About 10 years old.

'Ohlendorfii'. An older cultivar.

'Bella'

'Luz'

'Mucronata'. Sorry they are soooo exciting, right? lol

'Coolwyn Globe'. From Australia I believe.

'Wingle's Weeper'. A relatively new weeper to me.

'Aurea' or 'Aurea Jacobsen'. Help maybe Edwin/Blue?

A bunch more hidden around here somewhere...

-Will

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Hi Will,
    It's 'Aurea Jakobsen' instead of 'Aurea Jacobsen'.
    I still see to manytimes that a c is involved while I several times changed this also with other conifers which were found by Arne Vagn Jakobsen from Denmark.
    'Aurea' is a totaly differend cultivar.

The 'Coolwijn Globe' is from Leo Coolwyn from Australia indeed.
    His original second name is Koelewijn and he is from Holland, but he moved to Australia a long time ago.
    He also introduced the Cunninghamia konoshii 'Coolwyn Compact' aka 'Little Leo'.

The're so many cultivars of Picea abies, I think over a 1.000 one's found as seedling selecions, branchmutations or witches'brooms.
    In Eastern Europe witches'brooms will be found by the dozen and most of these will be quite simular but all will become a cultivar name, unfortunately.
    This topic can last for ever...

• kbguess
    13 years ago

Will,

I have had good success with photos using macro function, a little zoom and backing away a bit.

Keith

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Some more today since it's raining(again!)...

Picea abies 'Wichtel'. 8-10 years old. Easily the smallest plant in my collection - that 2.5" plant tag is a good size scale. Fantastic little gem.

'Brno'. Another very tight little miniature. Grows maybe 1/2 inch a year, a full inch in good years.

'Nidiformis Kalous'. Another terrific miniature, mine has unusual patches of branches amongst the new foliage.

'Kartlojn'.

'Pseudo-Maxwellii'. A strange conifer, and has some history behind it though I am quite ignorant to it.

'Kraca'. Originally listed and sold as Omorika.

'Little Gem'. Readily available at Big box stores, it's a nice enough plant for $10, but it does tend to burn from the inside with full sun.

'Kellerman's Blue', sometimes listed as 'Kellermann's Cameo' or 'Kellerman's Blue Cameo'. Certainly one of the nicest blues you'll see in picea abies.

'Pumila'. Also readily available, flat and spreading, a good plant for any garden.

'Tompa'. I need to move this little guy.

'Fritsche'. A good looking small dwarf.

So many plants, so little time.

-Will

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Will, you have a wonderfull collection of conifers, maybe one of biggest in the U.S.

I like the 'Kellerman's Blue Cameo' very much, it's colour is stunning!

Your 'Pumila' isn't the right one, it looks like a 'Repens' to me.
    The true one is mound forming.

• ykli
    13 years ago

I love the Wichtel very much.
    Wil, your collection is really impressive.

• sluice
    13 years ago

These all look fantastic!

Keith, thanks for posting your first graft, Chillin Phil!

• gardener365
    13 years ago

That would be "Chillin' Phil" - first time I've seen that one pushing. Thank you Keith. My plant (second attempt) has some small buds in the inner of the graft pushing, however, not much. All the nice outside shoots the buds were dessicated last winter.

Great photos Dave, Will...........
    Dave , where did you get 'Chrudim WB'?

--------

Picea abies 'Sherrie' - also found by Keith and named for my Mom.

Picea abies Sherrie

Picea abies Chillin' Phil
    Maybe the circled area is buds pushing, maybe not. It's too small of (growth?) for me to tell whether or not.

Dax

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

About the first photo, the correct name are Picea abies "Zajecice"

Picea abies "Alpen Hexe"

Picea abies "Lombartsii"

Picea abies "Kellerman's Blue Cameo" - "Blue Cameo" ...?
    Clément

• crypper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dax, I got the 'Chrudim' courtesy of Stanley and Sons a couple years ago.

-Dave

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Thanks for adding to the gallery guys. Seems a bit strange for me to keep posting to myself! :)

Thanks for the compliments too, hearing it from conifer legends always makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

More more and more! This is madness!...

Picea abies 'Suncrest'. New to me, a nice tight, bluish color miniature, bought at Coenosium Gardens.

'Gold Dust'. An unusually 'leggy' small dwarf with highly unusual colors as the new foliage eventually becomes more golden and mixes well with the older blue/green.

'Perry's Gold'. Pretty bright! New growth eventually reverts to a more dark green. This specimen is in almost full shade. Awesome!

'Vermont Gold' A sport from 'Repens' I believe, grows laterally into a wide shrub, new growth is delicately gold and burns in full sun here.

'Clanbrassiliana Stricta'. A bit more of a cone shaped dwarf.

'Nidiformis'. Common, available at many box stores and in my opinion, still a pretty nice plant.

'Hasin'. Doing some wierd things, I'd better take a look and prune back that barberry! Usually a super-tight miniature similar to 'Dumpy'.

'Malena'. A great looking small dwarf with unusual needle shape, mine received too much sun last year, suffered some damage and this Winter found a new home.

'Aarburg'. A twisting, weeping, chaotic 'Dr. Suess' tree. Saw it for the first time at Coenosium Gardens and had to have one. Eventually gets pretty wide(not too tall), but I think it will be happy enough here in 5-6 hours of sun. Picea abies seems to handle part shade very well. Many of mine are in filtered sun with 3-4 hours of direct sun.

'Gold Drift'. Only one of the best, a strongly weeping, fast growing tree essential to any conifer collection.

More when I have time, please feel free to add some of yours.

-Will

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Appreciate that Dave.

Dax

• maryn2009
    13 years ago

Picea abies "Minuta" looks very similar to "Hasin"

Maria

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Nice stem on that Maria. You know you can cut off that branch... even if it's less than one year, planted at your garden. No trouble.

Dax

• maryn2009
    13 years ago

Oh... yes Dax, the stem is nice but too thin. This is the reason I will keep that branch a few years more.

Maria

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

That 'Perry's Gold' has got to be the coolest conifer I've seen!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

Picea abies 'Calvary Upright'
    Look at those cinnamon buds!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor