Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener365

Grafting Results

gardener365
12 years ago

I had 360 pots and removed 245 (68%) good ones today from my greenhouse to my shaded hoophouse. Still another month until the final results are known because they need to be exposed to the outdoors, for that time frame.

There are a lot of factors that go into 68% - like 50-75??? understocks that died therefore allowing no chance of a successful graft........ but I still need to read my notes to see exactly (where I could be at). I lost hell 80-90% of my hard pines in the last 2 and 3 weeks, and I have no explanation. Anyways, here's a glimpse into some of the ones that succeeded.

Best Regards,

Dax

Abies koreana 'Blue Magic' for dcsteg - grafted to A.koreana

Abies koreana 'Wellenseind' for dcsteg

Abies koreana 'Oberon' for dcsteg - hasn't pushed but they always do eventually, even if a year later.

Dave's grafts

Abies concolor 'Bedon'

{{gwi:27601}}

Pinus mugo 'Velzen' - same story, it'll push.

Thuja occidentalis 'Selena' - beautiful conifer

Abies x 'Kundel' (concolor x ?grandis?) It sure smelled good as I cut into the scion..... definitely could be grandis as the other:

Picea pungens 'Vicksburg' - from Nate. Still waiting to see the push:

Picea pungens 'Sanctuary' - from Nate

Picea pungens 'MPH Mamut Torony' - the best blue I've ever seen for a Colorado blue spruce:

{{gwi:27592}}

That pungens will be one of the conifers of the future. Its' weeping form looks like "elephant trunks" draping like vertical curtains on a mostly narrow & upright tree.

92-degrees F here today. 33C

Comments (22)

• Cher
    12 years ago

Sorry you lost so much Dax, but the ones you showed look great and I have to say, Dave is one luck guy. Also Nate provided you with some fine looking plants.
    Cher

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

so many nice plants! Congratulations on all the successful grafts.
    I've heard Abies grandis x Abies concolor referred to as Abies x leuteneggeri. Your plant certainly looks unique, though.

-Sam

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It happens, there are a lot of factors. If I collected my scionwood on a nice warm day and grafted them the same day, I'd be shooting at nearly 100%. Some cultivars this year were new witches' brooms and none of them grafted. It just goes on and on from there. The hard pines I'm still wondering what "normal" is for them.

Later,

Dax

• baxswoh
    12 years ago

I feel your pain. I have lost way too many this year and am trying to figure out what were the underlying conditions that need to be fixed. One problem that seemed to really come into play with the wet weather and lack of sun was the root condition of the understock. I had nice root stock from several suppliers. It was in Anderson band pots. When I started to pull them out this week I found about 25%+ of the roots not viable. Have you encountered this root problem and what have you done to fix it? I am starting to wonder if the band pots are the right way to raise understock.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi baxz,

I'm switching to Carl Whitcomb RMS18 RootMaker Shuttle Trays (16 are $36.00) and (288 = 51.00) RME RootMaker Express 18 Propagation Containers with shipping (about 60.00) from Alabama to the Mid-west is 150.00. Anderson Tree Bands are a joke compared to these... you'll never see roots the same way again & they're the most-important-thing.

I don't feel any pain by the way. I still have nearly 90 cuttings in my prophouse that I added as things perished... you just don't stop. That's how I see it.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Rootmaker

• sluice
    12 years ago

I also lost a few to unhealthy rootstock.
    Last year I left many of the grafts in band pots for 8, 12, sometimes 14 weeks after grafting.
    This year I started potting them up to 1 gallons at about 4 weeks post-grafting. Antidotally, that seemed to help keep the understock roots just a little bit happier.

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

Thanks Dax,

I will be looking forward to those conifers being in my garden next year.

Let me know when you need more scions.

Dave

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

I'm also sorry for your losses Dax, the one's at your pics are looking good!

Sam, you're almost right about the Abies x leuteneggeri, in reality it is Abies grandis x 'Leuteneggeri'.
    This one looks like a true blue Abies grandis with the colour of an Abies concolor.
    It was an controled pollination by Kurt Wittboldt Mueller from Germany.

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

Wow... lucky fellas and still an impressive load of plants. Your hard work will reward you with future gains. I'm sure you'll get better and better at your craft. Next winter for sure I'll send you a few dozen grafts for some trade. Can we be looking forward to Winter in early Spring??

-Will

• baxswoh
    12 years ago

Dax: Thanks for the tip on the rootmaker containers. Sounds like that will be the answer.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You bet Dave.

Hi Edwin, 'Kundel' is the name of a plant not made by Kurt Wittboldt, I just want everyone to be clear that these are two completely different plants. 'Kundel' is a selection that Mirek Lewandowski named but was not sure of the cross parentage of this cultivar. Thanks for listening I had my own doubts after reading the total combined information.

Will, I'll be grafting every year now. And, next Feb. will be looking forward to spring in the winter??? yes........

baxz - no problem.

Listen guys, I am happy with the results. You can't attribute the failures to one single thing like me making "unnecessary mistakes with my own use of the tools......." This is certainly not the case. If you want to know something about my rooting, I made about 99.99% successful-plants. You see (?) I'm going to get really bored with the tears route.

Best Regards,

Dax

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

I always enjoy these updates!
    Thanks, Dax.

Josh

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

Abies x leuteneggeri

Yes, two completely different plants
    Clement

• zsolti_hungary
    12 years ago

Good job Dax! What about the yellow whipcord type root? Zs

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lookin good Zsolti.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Dax, I only tried to say that the Abies grandis x 'Leuteneggeri' was made by Kurt Wittboldt-Mueller.
    Didn't say nothing about the 'Kundel' in which I wasn't familiar before, but I'm glad that you informed me about this one ;0)

Clement, it's not Abies x leuteneggeri, but Abies grandis x 'Leuteneggeri'...

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

Yes, Edwin, I copied the bad part in your previous comments, sorry.
    Clement

• mirek_l
    12 years ago

My seedling. Abies grandis (?) 'Kundel'
    {{gwi:722510}}

{{gwi:722513}}

{{gwi:722516}}

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Hi Mirek, nice seedling you got there.
    Tell me, did you found it on this location where it is growing now or did you move it till this place?
    Which Abies species did grow in it's direct neighbourhood?
    Dax mentioned that it smells very strong, lemon I guess...

The 'Leuteneggeri' is a cross between Abies grandis and Abies concolor.
    In my opinion your's could be the other way around, a cross between Abies concolor x Abies grandis.
    Your pics are showing an Abies grandis needle which curves likes an Abies concolor...

• mirek_l
    12 years ago

Seeds from the Arboretum in Rog�w. :)
    I don't remember, whether he is a mother - concolor or grandis.

• coniferophytus
    12 years ago

Dax - Gee Farms is selling Abies chinensis 'Dax'. Is this a selection named after you?

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi phytus,

I've called Gee's to let them know the correct botanical name. This tree is Abies recurvata var. ernestii - the scions came from me but were from a specimen at Cornell University. The name 'Dax' is not a cultivar. Instead, Gee's often adds my name to scionwood they receive from me. It's not a cultivar, just a grafted tree of this-species.

Abies chinensis var. ernestii was the previously used name for what is now recognized as: Abies recurvata var. ernestii.

Hope this helps.

Dax

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio