Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Picea omorika 'Bruns' or 'Pendula Bruns'?

Found this 20 gallon tree at a new nursery near my house and snatched it up. The label reads

Weeping Serbian Spruce,

Picea omorika pendula 'Bruns'

From it's habit and the similarly sized specimens I've seen on these forums I'm tending to believe it's 'Bruns' and not 'Pendula Bruns'. Perhaps a couple of the expert on here could chime in.

{{gwi:717804}}

Thanks,

Will

Comments (24)

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Will,

The plant you show us is the 'Pendula Bruns'
    It's found before 1959, ca. 1955 so the name pendula may be used in this cultivarname.

Picea omorika 'Bruns' is a complete differend plant originated from another Bruns nursery then the famous Bruns Baumschule in Germany.
    This plant is not pendulous but do have an normal upright form like the specie but is much more silvery blue.
    If I remember well the name 'Bruns' was later changed in 'Elegance' to end this everlasting confusion.

• sprucebud
    15 years ago

Nice!
    coniferjoy, I love the picea omorika 'Bruns' I got from you earlier this year. It is really putting on great growth!
    Richard

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

i agree ... its upright ...

but the secondary branches tend to be pendulous ...

its going to be fast.. and big ....

a pic of what i bought as p.o. pendula .... below .. looks like 12 to 18 inch annual growth rate ...

i cant tell from the pic angle.. but yours looks awful close to the road ...

ken
    {{gwi:626033}}

• sprucebud
    15 years ago

Ken, I would love that tree in my garden!!!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

Here is a 'Bruns' I saw on a garden tour last year. It was more silvery than this pic shows. Habit was somewhere between 'Pendula' and 'Pendula Bruns'. Although I have seen some 'Pendula Bruns' that have a bit more open look than most. And I did verify with the owner it was 'Bruns' and not 'Pendula Bruns.

tj

• mckenna
    15 years ago

If I can get a minute at work I'll go out behind the building and snap a pic of the 4 Bruns that I planted last year. They are absolutely loaded with pollen now. It freaked out a co-worker when he brushed against it and a cloud of smoke came out to rival his cigarette. I can't wait to finish the planting back there and give those Bruns a foundation of purple pavement roses and switch grasses to make them really pop all 4 seasons.

Bill

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. I think I need more input here as I still have conflicting opinions whether this tree is 'Pendula Bruns' or just 'Bruns'. Perhaps I won't know for a few more years anyways.

Ken, the trunk is about 5-6' away from the driveway, and a good 7'+ away from where it would be a hazard to vehicles, so for at least the next decade or two it should be OK without any pruning. It's neighbor is Cedrus atlantica 'Granny Louise', a very narrow upright cedar, so they should be happy next to eachother for a long time.

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

The 'Pendula Bruns' at Will's garden is standing in a good position and is not to close to the road.
    This is because the habit is a strong pendulous and will not get any broader than 70 cm. in 10 years.

Kenn,
    Your plant isn't the true Picea omorika 'Pendula', in my eyes it looks like the 'Bruns'
    It do have a "normal" growth like the specie but is a more silvery which is typical for this selection.
    This is the true 'Pendula'
    Picea omorika 'Pendula'

Tj
    The plant you are showing us isn't the 'Bruns' because the 'Bruns' isn't a weeping form.
    It isn't also the 'Pendula Bruns' because it doesn't weep straight enough.
    I was thinking that it could be the 'Gotelli Weeping'.

This is the true 'Bruns', the picture is not so clear but the more silvery needles are visable.
    You can also see that this one isn't a weeping form.
    Picea omorika 'Bruns'

I think the issue is that there's always a big mistake in using the name 'Pendula Bruns' and 'Bruns'.
    Normaly spoken it's illigitimate to use the word pendula in combination with a fantasy name or a person's second name.
    In this case it's ligitimate because this plant is found before 1959 so the name combination 'Pendula Bruns' may be used.
    'Pendula Bruns' was selected by the famous Bruns Baumschule from Germany.
    'Bruns' was selected from another German nursery with the same name.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

i always wondered why mine wasnt a true pendula .... all branches weeping ...

or alternatively ... why they would use a term of art like 'pendula' for the drooping effect of the smaller side branches.. but not the main branches ...

it did not make sense to use one term to describe two differing growth patterns ..

ken

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

Coniferjoy, as far as I am aware no one can really lay claim to possessing the true 'Pendula' if indeed it ever existed, as most plants labeled as such can probably trace their origins back to differing seedling selections of the species as it is naturally pendulous anyway. It would be better to call such plants as Picea omorika var. 'Pendula'

• conifer50
    15 years ago

Checkout the Picea omorika images at D. Wells Nursery photo album!

Here is a link that might be useful: D wells nursery

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

Thanks Coniferjoy, I had wondered about that pic I posted. I have a 'Bruns' of my own that looks like yours but thought maybe the branches got more pedulous with age. Thanks for clearing that up. Whether that pic is 'Gotelli Weeping' or whatever, it was a very handsome plant.

tj

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Bluespruce,

I think the plant labeled as 'Pendula' was the first weeping form brought into the trade.
    The World Checklist of conifers mentioned that this one was introduced in 1920 by Mr. Schwerin from Germany but now be used in a collective sense, but I don't agree with this.
    All the others are found far after 1920 and are differend in growth.
    'Berliner's Weeping' is from 1979
    'Gotelli Weeping' after 1959
    'Kuck' is from 1983
    'Pendula Bruns' is from ca 1955
    'Pendula Major' reported from
    'Pendula Snezna' after 1959
    'Radloff' after 1959
    So I think 'Pendula' is a true cultivar of Picea omorika.

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

Coniferjoy, my point is, there have been many clones introduced as 'Pendula over the years, and I would guess been completely mixed up in the trade. Who is to say which is now the original clone ? your plant looks very good, and seems to be very close to 'Pendula Bruns', how can you be sure you have the true 'Pendula' ?

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Bluespruce,

In the past I bought my 'Pendula' and 'Pendula Bruns' from the late Kas Koemans from Boskoop, Holland.
    There was a clearly difference between those plants in the young habit.
    Both were about 1 meter in hight.
    The 'Pendula' had a more open weeping habit and was not a straight weeper but the 'Pendula Bruns' had a very straight weeping habit from the beginning on.
    Later on the 'Pendula' makes also a straight weeping habit, but the 'Pendula Bruns' is denser in all parts like the picture Will is showing us.

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

coniferjoy, you are still missing my point.
    I am not saying your 'Pendula' is 'Pendula Bruns' I was just making the observation how similar it looked to that plant.
    What I am saying, is how do you know for sure you have the original 'Pendula' clone, if indeed there ever was one, as nurserymen have introduced many other forms over the years and labeled them 'Pendula'

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Bluespruce,

As I told you, I received my 'Pendula' from the late Kas Koemans who was a famous Dutch conifernurseryman for about 30 years.
    He cultivated this 'Pendula' together with the 'Pendula Bruns' from the beginning on when all the other weeping forms were not in sight yet.

For all those years he took scionswood from his own stockplants and that's why I'm so sure that I have the true one.
    I hope I answered your question now.
    If you are interested in some scionswood, please let me know and I send you some in the beginning of next year ;0)

• clement_2006
    14 years ago

Also very interesting, a pic of Picea omorika " Pendula Snezna" are very welcome.
    Clément

• bunkers
    13 years ago

I would say that these could be 'Bruns' but not Pendula Bruns ... and they could even be just regular old Omorika ...

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

I photgraphied this plant 2 years ago,without name,no tag... I think it's possible "Pendula Snezna" but I'm not sure.The needles are shorter of other pendula form.
    I have grafted and show you a young plant in the next days.
    Clément

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

A graft of 2 years old from the plant above.
    Clément

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Nice variety!
    Do you also have a spare one? ;0)

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Probably.I note your interest.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!