Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprucebud

Recent photos

sprucebud
12 years ago

Having visited David Ward's garden last Saturday this has prompted me to take a few shots in my own garden.

Pinus strobus 'Sea Urchin'

Picea glauca 'Pendula'

Picea breweriana 'Fr�hlingsgold'

Still my favourite Picea omorika 'Bruns'

Richard

Comments (21)

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Richard, your garden will become more beautiful everytime you show us some new pics!
    The Picea breweriana 'Fruhlingsgold' from my nursery looks very nice and I'm also very happy that I helped you with your favourite one ;0)
    How about my Picea pungens 'Filip's Blue Compact'?
    Do you also have a nice Spring colour pic of this one for us?
    Thanks in advance!

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Richard, your garden really is a pleasant experience.

I really appreciate the pictures.

Dax

• texjagman
    12 years ago

Everything looks very happy and the colors are working nicely together.

mark

• ghgwv
    12 years ago

One of my favorite gardens.
    Gary

• karate626
    12 years ago

Wow! I really like the drooping trees. All the trees look so healthy. Thanks for the pics!

T.J.

• sluice
    12 years ago

I really like the color combinations!

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

Wow, golds, blues and greens. Your plants sure are a ways ahead of ours here. Fantastic use of colors and textures, it's really enjoyable just to let your eyes wander over the photos. What's the compact bun(left side) in photo 7?

-Will

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your comments.
    Will, the plant I believe you are referring to is Picea sitchensis 'Silberzwerg'. We have had a warm and very dry March, April and into May and I think the plants are certainly ahead of where they should be in many respects.
    Edwin, Picea breweriana 'Frühlingsgold': this is one I actually selected during the trip to Poland in 2008. The plants I have got from you though continue to thrive!! I will get a photo of Picea pungens 'Filip's Blue Compact' in the next day or two.
    Richard

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Picea pungens 'Filip's Blue Compact'

Picea abies 'Gold Drift'

Picea omorika 'Zuckerhut'

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Wow Richard, nice.

Got me a Filip's Blue Compact, albeit about 1/100 that size.

Bless you my son.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Richard. I'm very glad that the 'Filip's Blue Compact' grows happy in your garden!
    The 'Zuckerhut' is that the one you received from me in 2008?
    It also shows us that it does have a good time ;0)

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Edwin,
    Yes, the Picea omorika 'Zuckerhut' (both of them!) are doing very well and developing a nice shape as they grow.

Picea abies 'Norway Pyramid Broom'

Picea pungens 'Super Maixner'

Picea engelmannii 'Snake'

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Picea omorika 'Red Spring'

Picea abies 'Filip's Mystic Black'

Abies koreana 'Verdener Dom'

• botann
    12 years ago

I seem to remember your garden from a few years ago. If it's the one I'm thinking of, you've made a lot of progress! Both in the number of plants and the design. It's looking very good. Do you have a 'before' picture?
    Mike

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Are you still happy with your Fagus 'Purple Fountain'?

I keep walking by one at a local garden center and when I get home I keep thinking about it!

• botann
    12 years ago

I see you have a Golden Hop plant.
    Watch it! It grows very fast. Almost 20 ft. in one season for me, and we have similar climates. Plus, it spreads underground.
    Mike

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

Richard, could you tell me what the conical, yellow new growth conifer is in the fifth picture?(in the first batch)

Also, what is the yellowish, pendulous plant on the far right of the pic with the red poppies in it?

I love Picea omorika 'Zuckerhut', it looks like it is exploding with new growth.

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Richard, very nice pics again!
    Did you also recieve that Picea pungens 'Glauca Pendula' from my nursery?
    The Picea abies 'Filip's Mystic Black' looks very fine also!
    I found it in a Christmas tree nursery because of it's very dark green needles, alsmost black at first sight.
    Besides this special needle colour it also have a pyramidal and compact habit.

I guess that you also received the Picea engelmannii 'Snake' from Clement...

Is that yellow the Picea the Picea omorika 'Aurea' which looks differend then all the other one's I saw?
    Unfortunately the graftings from last year didn't take, maybe we can trade some again this comming Winter ;0)

Picea omorika 'Red Spring'
    Must be written as 'Roter Austrieb'.
    As you know the German language very well, you know what this means ;0)
    It's found by the Horstmann Nursery.
    It's a shame that you didn't took a pic of this one one week earlier...

The Picea pungens 'Stanley's Pygmy' is a bad renaming for what is Picea glauca 'Cecilia'.
    It has nothing to do with picea pungens.
    I studied the Picea glauca 'Stanley's Pygmy' for some years because in my opinion it looks very much like the Picea glauca 'Cecilia'.
    The strange thing was that the 'Stanley's Pygmy' was only availlable in Western Europe but not in the U.S. so I didn't have noting to do with Larry Stanley.
    Then I send some pics to some colegue nurserymen around the world and they agreed that these are one and the same plant...

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Weeper: the yellow spruce is Picea smithiana 'Sunray'.
    Edwin: Picea pungens 'Glauca Pendula': this larger one is from another nursery in England. In fact, the one I got from you is planted right alongside it! Picea omorika 'Roter Austrieb': did not really look so red this time but I guess this will change from year to year.
    Whaas: yes, I can recommend Fagus Sylvatica 'Purple Fountain'. Grows really well and seems to keep its narrow form.
    Mike: here's an early photo of the garden taken in spring 2008:

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    12 years ago

• botann
    12 years ago

Yes, that's it.
    Way to go!
    I love progress pictures.
    Mike