Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluespruce53

A selection of mini mugos

bluespruce53
15 years ago

photos taken today (tea-time) Thursday 16th April.

Pinus uncinata 'Ball'

{{gwi:689630}}

Pinus pseudopumilio 'Filip'

{{gwi:689631}}

Pinus mugo 'Morsoone'

{{gwi:689632}}

Pinus mugo 'Gluss HB'

{{gwi:689633}}

Pinus mugo 'Krejci Super'

{{gwi:689634}}

Pinus mugo 'May'

{{gwi:689635}}

Pinus mugo 'Michael'

{{gwi:689636}}

Pinus mugo 'Michal'

{{gwi:689637}}

Pinus mugo 'Zenie'

{{gwi:689638}}

Pinus pseudopumilio 'Syra'

{{gwi:689639}}

Pinus mugo 'Roman' - double graft

{{gwi:689641}}

Pinus mugo 'Zwergkugel' - sport

{{gwi:689643}}

Comments (57)

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

I'm with Dax...these are the posts I look forward to, and always repeatly return to.
    Is there anything more beautiful (except for our kids or grandkids that is) than a conifer's new growth!?

A big thank you to Stephen and Edwin for taking the time to share photos of their collection plus their unparelleled knowledge.
    We are fortunate that you are part of this forum!

Barbara

• sluice
    15 years ago

a marvelously magnificent menagerie!

thanks for posting

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

weeper... most of these are NOT DWARF's ...

they are minis ....

minis grow less than an inch a year.. or so ....

if momma is 300 feet tall.. a dwarf of her could be a mere 200 feet ... but generally they have a growth rate of 1 to 6 inches per year.. link below ...

you MIGHT be comparing apples and oranges....

so.. if each bud grows one inch .. and puts out 3 or 4 new buds... the effect will be much more congested .... compared to growing 6 inches.. and then budding .... etc ....

the real question is if either pinch back spring growth on any of them ?????

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Coniferjoy, very nice pics, your Pinus mugo 'Mops Michl WB' might be a mistake ? it looks very much like my plant Pinus mugo 'Michael' ??
    Also, Pinus uncinata is considered a subspecies of Pinus mugo by some authorities, depends on who you want to listen to.
    Babs, appreciate your comments.

A few more mini mugos - and its allies!

Pinus mugo '3 Zinnen'
    {{gwi:689664}}

Pinus mugo 'Michelle'
    {{gwi:689665}}

Pinus mugo 'Humpy WB' - Colzium
    {{gwi:689666}}

Pinus pseudopumilio 'Ryzovna'
    {{gwi:689667}}

Pinus uncinata 'Hannibal'
    {{gwi:689668}}

• redwingconifer
    15 years ago

Thanks all for the nice pics! Here is a mini mugo that is also from a 'mops' that had 4 brooms on it. This is Pinus mugo 'East Side'.
    {{gwi:689669}}

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shannon, is the P m 'Eastside' from Gees ?

Pinus mugo 'Zwergkugel'
    {{gwi:689670}}

Pinus mugo 'Tuffet'
    {{gwi:689671}}

Pinus mugo 'Kiril'
    {{gwi:689672}}

Pinus pseudopumilio 'Omlaceny'
    {{gwi:689673}}

• redwingconifer
    15 years ago

Hi Bluespruce-

Yes, I did get it at Gee's. I made a mistake with the name also- the correct name is Pinus mugo 'Mops East Side'. The other 3 are 'Mops West Side', 'Mops Top North', and 'Mops Top South'.

• jaro_in_montreal
    15 years ago

"Pinus pseudopumilio 'Omlaceny' color>"

That's a funny one !

...."omlaceny" means "beat up" :O) ...in Czech, that is.

• gardener365
    15 years ago

Those twisted needles ones are super.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Bluespruce,

I have a picture specialy for you.
    It shows a witches'broom in a witches'broom.
    The original plant is the Pinus uncinata 'Nova'
    The smaller witchesbroom do have a million small buds ;0)
    {{gwi:689674}}

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Coniferjoy, Is this one of your plants ?

• toucanjoe
    15 years ago

Real nice Mugo;s guys, love them.I believe i have 2 'Little Delight' which i believe is another Mops Broom, and 'Northern Lights' Which has yellow tips on the new growth. Joe

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Bluespruce,

Yep, I found this very tiny witches'broom when I was taken scionswood of the Pinus uncinata 'Nova' which is in my collection.
    The problem then was that I found this out when I had the scionswood in my hand, luckely the grafting was succesfull.

About the Pinus mugo 'Michl W.B.':
    I received this plant from Jiri Balatka' when we vistid him in Autumn 2007.
    I just checked his inventorylist and he also named it this way.
    I will come back to this after he answered my e-mail about this.

This one is also a witches'broom found in a Pinus mugo 'Mops'.
    It's a Dutch selection found by Ad van Aert.
    Pinus mugo 'Annemarie'
    {{gwi:689675}}

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Coniferjoy,
    My plant of Pinus mugo 'Michal' came from Jan Slama, and I still have the original tag, so assuming both are the same plant which does look likely by the photos - which is the correct name ? perhaps Jiri Balatka and Jan Slama could get together on this one ?

Pinus mugo 'National Arboretum' - this one is from a broom on Pinus mugo 'Mops' in the national Arboretum, Washington.
    {{gwi:689676}}

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Coniferjoy,
    just checked both Holata and Borovec lists both have Pinus mugo 'Michal' and 'Michl' listed, so two different plant then.

Pinus mugo 'Tyller'
    {{gwi:689677}}

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Bluespruce,

Thanks for your info about the 'Michl'
    I saw at your website that you have differend Pinus mugo 'Humpy W.B', is one of these the same as 'Humpy Mini'?

Pinus mugo 'Humpy Mini'
    {{gwi:689678}}

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

Dueling Mugos....this is great for us photo-philes!

(hope someone else out there is old enough to remember the 'Dueling Banjos' song from Deliverance)

Barbara

• clement_2006
    15 years ago

Coniferjoy,
    Very probable Pinus mugo "Humpy Mini" are introduced in Holland by myself,selected by Meylan nursery in Switzerland.It's the same about Pinus mugo "Mops Meylan"
    Clément

• billb
    15 years ago

I missed reading this post and this is actually kind of scarey. I am amazed by the number of brooms on Mugo pines. I would almost guarantee that if you have a Pinus mugo 'Mops' that you will eventually have a broom on it. Nearly every Mops that has any size to it has a broom on it someplace or has had one or will have one. I was with Gary Gee the day he named all of the brooms on his mops. If I remember correctly there are at least 5 brooms on it now, a couple of them are not that good. I think he and I probably have the only grafts from them. Last year I found a broom on my P. m. 'Mops'. I knew it was just a matter of time.

There is a Pinus mugo 'Mops' broom called 'Dave's Choice'. It was found by Dave Horst at the Bickelhaupt Arboretum and Chub Harper named it after him. The broom has now died but I would be willing to bet that at some point there will be another. I have a 'Dave's Choice' in my collection and notice the other day that there is a tiny little broom growing on the side of the thing, about the size of a 25 MM across. I'll try to graft it next year.

Nice photos guys.
    Bill

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Coniferjoy,
    My photo above of 'Humpy WB' - Colzium, originates from Colzium Gardens in Scotland, the other one I have in my collection is 'Humpy WB - Koe, but not too sure if this is the correct name, material for both plants came via John Proudfoot a few years ago.

Pinus mugo 'Humpy WB' - Koe
    {{gwi:689679}}

Pinus mugo 'Suzi'
    {{gwi:689680}}

Pinus mugo 'Beran'
    {{gwi:689681}}

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

This is a terrific Thread!
    Pinus mugo 'Suzi' is incredible...
    Many thanks,

Josh

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

Ya know, Barbara, I was thinking of "Dueling Mugos" as well while reading this thread.

Evidently the brooming tendancy of 'Mops' must be genetic, so given the vast number of brooms from 'Mops', how many of the brooms out there are look-a-likes even though found on different plants?

tj

P.S. Gotta love the texture of 'Suzi'.

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Bluespruce,

So at this moment there are 3 witchesbrooms of Pinus mugo 'Humpy' availlable.
    Is it possible that the 'Humpy W.B.'-Koe is originated from the late Kas Koemans from Holland?

This is the smallest Pinus mugo cultivar I have at my Pinetum.
    Pinus mugo 'Bonsai Kramer'
    {{gwi:689682}}

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Coniferjoy,
    There are some more Humpys - 'Humpy WB Neu' - 'Humpy Jos' - 'Humpy Bal', and also I think 'Humpitz' is another one.
    It is possible that 'Humpy WB' - Koe, originated from Kas Koemans, I also thought this was a possibility, but I'm not sure.

Pinus rotundata 'Jiri Sourek'
    {{gwi:689683}}

Pinus mugo 'Winzig'
    {{gwi:689684}}

Pinus uncinata 'Erwin'
    {{gwi:689685}}

• firefightergardener
    15 years ago

This is quite the 'mugo orgy'. It makes my head spin!

These are awesome photos, thanks!

Will

• gardener365
    15 years ago

I'm still battling the banjo's. That damn song's been playing in my head for two days. Wow, keep it up gentlemen.

Pinus mugo 'Mops'
    {{gwi:689686}}

Pinus mugo 'Mitsch Mini'
    {{gwi:689687}}

Pinus mugo 'Dave's Choice'
    {{gwi:689688}}

Dax

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Bluespruce,

The mini mugo party isn't over yet!
    Is it also possible that the 'Humpy W.B. Neu' is originated from the J. zu Jeddeloh Nurseries, Germany and found by Mr. Neumann who was the head propagator in the past?

Pinus mugo 'Swiss Dwarf'
    {{gwi:689689}}

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Coniferjoy, Dax if you want to play, the photos have to come from your own collection :0)

Pinus mugo 'Flanders Belle' - another Mops broom discovered on a nursery in France by Jon Tate of Lime Cross Nursery, West Sussex, England.
    {{gwi:689691}}

Pinus mugo 'Little Delight'
    {{gwi:689692}}

• gardener365
    15 years ago

But I want to play...
    it's raining now and then I'll show my little mugo's so that guy up above has something more to complain about.

Dax

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

Aw let Dax play. It was nice to see the 'Dave's Choice' that Bill had metioned earlier.

tj

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Dax, you can take my place, here are my last pics for mini mugos, - I think!
    Pinus mugo 'Enkhuizen'
    {{gwi:689693}}

Pinus mugo 'Mops Midget'
    {{gwi:689694}}

Pinus uncinata 'Wiel'
    {{gwi:689695}}

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Bluespruce,

The original name for Pinus mugo 'Enkhuizen' was 'Mops W.B. Enkhuizen' but is now changed in 'Kafumbi'

I have several more dwarf Pinus mugo cultivar pictures, this is one of them:
    Pinus mugo 'Kissen'
    {{gwi:689696}}

'Kissen' is German for "Cushion".
    It's found at the Jeddeloh Nurserie, Germany in 1979 and introduced under the cultivarname 'Brevifolia' which was illigitimate because it's from after 1959, so they changed it in 'Kissen'.

15 years ago

Excellent, superb!
    Thanks again for these wonderful visual references!

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:689485}}

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Coniferjoy, thanks for the update on 'Enkhuizen'

Pinus mugo 'Minikin'
    {{gwi:689697}}

• gardener365
    15 years ago

My Huge 4 plant collection.

Pinus mugo 'Alpen Hexe' or is it 'Alpenhexe' ?
    {{gwi:689699}}

'Alpen Hexe'
    {{gwi:689701}}

Pinus mugo 'Dave's Choice'
    {{gwi:689703}}

Pinus mugo 'Minima Kalous'
    {{gwi:689704}}

Pinus mugo 'Alpen Glow' or is it 'Alpin Glow'?
    {{gwi:689705}}

These are 1.5 year grafts.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Dax,

It's 'Alpenhexe' and 'Alpenglow'
    Unfortunately your 'Alpenglow' doesn't look so well, the bud looks dry to me, while I think it must have bin made new growth by now...

Greenman, It's Pinus mugo var. pumilio instead of Pinus mugo 'pumilio'.

Pinus mugo 'Allgäu'
    {{gwi:689706}}
    This one was found by the Dutch Van Den Nieuwendijk Brothers Nursery in the Allgäuer Alps, Southern Germany.

15 years ago

Thanks, Coniferjoy!
    I'll amend my notes!

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Another beauty,

Pinus mugo 'Benjamin'.
    {{gwi:689707}}

• gardener365
    15 years ago

That's bad Edwin.

Dax

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pinus mugo 'Mops Horstmann'
    {{gwi:689709}}

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Many thanks guys!
    I finally got them all captured.

Dax

• maryn2009
    13 years ago

One more

{{gwi:689711}}
    Pinus pseudopumilio 'Eso'

Maria

• sam_md
    8 years ago

I stopped by to Betty's Azalea Ranch just to say hi. As I got closer these guys started wagging their tails and I just couldn't resist.

West Coast growers are apparently really cranking them out. I like the fact that 'Mops' is on its own roots.

Here in the US Mid-Atlantic we are in the hot, sultry, sweltering Dog Days of Summer. Now someone tell me what this is and how to prevent it in my area.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

i have no clue why you dropped this is this very old post ... were they really $5.88 ...????

i have seen many.. basically zone inappropriate for me... being sold like this .. almost like disposable xmas houseplant conifers ...

ken

• sam_md
    8 years ago

A great article is linked here from American Nurseryman Magazine in 2000. Here is a snippet: .... the propagator at Iseli Nursery, Inc. Boring, Or. developed new production techniques using self-rooted cuttings instead of grafting. This process cut costs significantly. ......... Because mugo pines with short needles root quite readily, the innovative process works quite well on compact, shrubby forms of the pine. Iseli Nursery offers about 10 cultivars produced from cuttings.

As one can see from my earlier post, producing mugo pine cvs from cuttings is having an effect on their availability. 2000 Article on Iseli Nursery

• andreas75_gw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hy!

What a wonderful thread, got dozens of hearts in my eyes, wow :D!

Now that all the experts of mini mugos are gathered in one thread, maybe you can help me with the identification on my smallest mini mugo?

I bought it as "Humpy", but it 's never that- way to small, way to short needles, way to little growth- just max. 1 inch a year... So i called it "Mini Humpy" by myself (the only other relatively available Humpy sport here in germany), but with your very eyeopening pics of so many other Humpy sports i really had to know your expert opinion.

Could it be 'Minima Kalous', because of the sometimes a little broadened/ flattened needles?

Thanks very much and kind regards,

Andreas (just click on the foto to enlarge it, it's loaden here in the forum)

• clement_2006
    8 years ago

Wait, when the buds are finished, 'Minima Kalous' have a typical white resinous buds.

See previous post 's Coniferjoy.

• severnside
    8 years ago

It looks like 'Humpy' to me Andreas. When did you plant it out? As the needles may just be short as it works on root production. The obvious other plant it could be is 'Humpy WB' but yours looks a little rangier.

• andreas75_gw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have it for four years now, with one and a half year out in the garden now. The buds are white and resinous, but not this white and resinous like in Coniferjoys pic.

When it's a true 'Humpy', it must have been half- starved in the little pot in which i bought it :(...

• severnside
    8 years ago

Best thing to do is wait until next season and see if it starts to reveal it's true self a bit more. By then it should have it's roots down. The main thing is that it looks very healthy now so the difficult part is over really.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH