Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benjamin85

Sequoia sempervirens 'Loma Prieta Spike'

benjamin85
14 years ago

Hy,

does somebdy have any experience with this relatively unknown cultivar? As far as i know its the only pendulous cultivar of Sequoia sempervirens.

I only found one source (sorry, german only).

search(Suchen) for sequoia, than open 'Stützen des Himmels' (pdf)and scroll to the end of the page.

Benjamin

Here is a link that might be useful: Sequoia sempervirens 'Loma Prieta Spike'

Comments (19)

• blue_yew
    14 years ago

Ive seen a photo of it an interesting form with a
    primeval look. Im going to try to get hold of one.
    They would look good in a group planting.

• henksgarden
    14 years ago

This is a very nice Sequioa but not the only weeping form there is a Sequioa sempervirens "Pendula"

This is a photo of the Sequioa sempervirens Loma Prieta Spike in a Garden in the Netherlands
    {{gwi:626359}}

Henk.

• sluice
    14 years ago

nice looking plant!

• benjamin85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! They look amazing! Need to have one:-)
    Thanks!

Benjamin

• sprucebud
    14 years ago

Very nice picture.

• benjamin85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What do you think, will they reach the same size as the original sequoia sempervirens?

Benjamin

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

It will grow as fast as the species.
    Remember that it's not 'Loma Prieta Spike' but 'Mt. Loma Prieta Spike'.

• Greenthumb
    14 years ago

Forest Farm lists this plant in their online catalog this year. A #5 pot is $69.00 and is 4' to 5' tall. There is no * by the plant listing so there is no extra shipping charge due to an oversized box.

I've linked the FF page below.
    Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Forest Farm online catalog link

• sherry Austin
    4 years ago

This thread is old, but I feel I need to correct the name. It is "Loma Prieta Spike". The fellow who found it, lived down the road from me. He told me that it was found near the epicenter for the Loma Prieta Eathquake in 1989 in the Nisene Marks forest. The name refers to the spike in the Richter scale made by the earthquake, not the location found. This is a picture of the original trees propagated, and grown by Alan Korth in Soquel, California. Mt. Loma Prieta is not in Nisene Marks Park where the original tree was found. These can be seen on the corner of Soquel-San Jose Rd and Little Creek Rd in Soquel, CA

• plantkiller_il_5
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

So....does this cause an arguement ?

once the name is in print , it stays ?

or do names sometimes change ?

ron

reminds me of Rotenhausii

similar

• sherry Austin
    4 years ago

When it first hit the trade, it was mistakenly called 'Loma Prieta'. Several places were calling it such. It was also briefly called 'Stricta'.

The conifer society contacted me and asked if they could use a picture of mine on their website. I gave them the information that I posted above, and they mistakenly added "Mt." to the name. So yes.. names can change. The recent renaming of large numbers of plants due to DNA testing has been huge. In this case it would just be nice to honor the man who found, propagated and named the plant, by giving it the name he chose for it.

'Loma Prieta Spike'

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

A cultivar name becomes official once it is registered with an International Cultivation Registration Authority (ICRA). And once registered, it is unlikely to change (although foreign cultivar names are often anglicized y the marketplace to make it simpler for us dumb Americans to use and pronounce, since few of us think there is any language other than English!!) DNA testing and reclassification is typically addressed on a higher scale - genus and species - not by individual cultivar.

• plantkiller_il_5
    4 years ago

so , you are saying that ICRA made the mistake

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    4 years ago

The reason that I posted the link is that you can add a comment to the record and the editor of the database will evaluate it and update the record as necessary. There are MANY instances of registered names being 'incorrect' (not just in plants; we had a horse with the word 'paradigm' in his registered name but someone made an error and wrote it 'paradign' and it could not be changed!)

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    4 years ago

Sherry, based on your compelling information, I corrected the record in the ACS ConiferBase. Would it be also possible to obtain that picture of Allan's original plants for the permanent record? Thanks!

• sherry Austin
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank-you David! I pulled the picture off Google maps.. it’s a busy road, with no good place for me to pull off and get a picture.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    4 years ago

Ron while you and I were complaining, Dave and Sherry took care of business!