Biggest N.sanguinea pitcher so far.

f0d1eefa61ed37420b985079750052fc.jpg

I've had this sanguinea since Xmas and this is its biggest pitcher so far. It was bought from Hampshire Cp's and is growing quite quick.

I must say I'm getting a little peed off though as people on other forums keep telling me it's not a sanguinea, I know it is, I've asked Matt himself he's confirmed it is too. Some people just seem to think that if it doesn't look like one of theirs or is something they haven't seen that it can't be a sanguinea....grrrrr. Sorry had to rant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That's a really nice plant!
Can I ask you a question?
In what kind of conditions is your plant growing? (Temp, light, humidity...)

I have it on a southwest windowsill, temps range from 25-30c in day and drops to 15-20c at night, humidity is normal house humidity probably around 50% I spray pitchers and leaves twice a day and it gets light from 12pm-8pm :)

That's a really nice plant!
Can I ask you a question?
In what kind of conditions is your plant growing? (Temp, light, humidity...)

I have it on a southwest windowsill, temps range from 25-30c in day and drops to 15-20c at night, humidity is normal house humidity probably around 50% I spray pitchers and leaves twice a day and it gets light from 12pm-8pm :)

Could I ask where you got your sanguiana? To me it doesn't look like that species! I believe the purple comes from a hybrid with ramispina, especially the purple at the throat.

Mark

I bought it from Hampshire carnivorous plants.

Could I ask where you got your sanguiana? To me it doesn't look like that species! I believe the purple comes from a hybrid with ramispina, especially the purple at the throat.

Mark

I bought it from Hampshire carnivorous plants.

53 minutes ago, Mark Anderson said:

Possibly one of the Rebecca Soper clones

Mark

Mark, 

I think its called sanguinea black jack, theres been theory around for at least 10 years that its a hybrid, maybe it is, maybe it isnt.  

26 minutes ago, Mark Anderson said:

Matt even sells a dark sanguiana and it looks nothing like black jack!

Mark

Found a side-by-side picture of the dark form Matt sells (left) and Black Jack (right):
 23_06_2014_021.jpg

Very characteristic elongated mouth on the left, and more pronounced widening at the middle. If I saw the pitcher on the right and had to guess, I'd say it looks something like the dark form of N. sanguinea crossed with a ventrata/Rebecca Soper, I'd be surprised if it turned out Black Jack was not a hybrid.

• Like 3

I would definitely say hybrid as I've got a vining and flowering one that I've had for 5 years, that came from Matt. Defo not pure sanguiana, if there is any of that species in it at all, mine looks very close to Rebecca Soper, and there are a few clones of RS.

Mark

I did ask Matt Soper and he did confirm it was a sanguinea...it's all a little confusing haha [emoji16]

I think Matt can distuinguish his own hybrids from other plants.

I have some seed grown sanguinea and there is plenty of variation between them.

I dont think anyone in this conversation has studied plants out in the wild so our opinions based on the few clones in cultivation really arent worth a great deal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AKR said:

Found a side-by-side picture of the dark form Matt sells (left) and Black Jack (right):
 23_06_2014_021.jpg

Very characteristic elongated mouth on the left, and more pronounced widening at the middle. If I saw the pitcher on the right and had to guess, I'd say it looks something like the dark form of N. sanguinea crossed with a ventrata/Rebecca Soper, I'd be surprised if it turned out Black Jack was not a hybrid.

The one on the left looks like sanguinea.

• Like 1

23_06_2014_021.jpg

The one on the right looks like my other nep that I gave ID of black jack looks almost the same 011d9f1fc25daf6e35b8d99dbc0be22a.jpg

30 minutes ago, HannahMariia said:

I've also been told that it can't be a sanguinea as it doesn't have spots on the inside of the pitcher but doesn't that all depend on the genes/lighting/humidity etc.

I would say yes it does depend on a variety of things.  Colouration or spots, don't seem to be used in plant species descriptions for exactly those reasons.  I'm pretty sure my wistuba sanguinea has produced all green pitchers in years past.  Today all the pitchers have spots as they in a very bright position in the greenhouse, other clones may have more or less spots.

Personally i wouldn't get too worked up over the name, or people moaning on about it being named wrong, unless you're really interested in the taxonomy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manders said:

The one on the left looks like sanguinea.

I agree, and the discussion on the Polish forum I found that picture on seemed to be (up to the powers of Google translate) about whether Black Jack, shown on the right, is N. sanguinea or a mislabeled hybrid. From my own experience the upper pitchers of that dark form N. sanguinea are very much like those of other forms I have seen pictures of, losing their dark colouration and reverting to green/red. It would be interesting to know what the upper pitchers are like for Hannah's plant or Black Jack, maybe they revert to the more typical form too.

Edited by AKR
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mark Anderson said:

Excuse me I want moaning, is appreciate it if you don't make assumptions!! Some one asked and I have my opinion

Mark

Was i referring to you?  Hannah mentioned people on 'other forums'.

• Like 1