"Jack frost" dawn redwood.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Looking for "jack frost " dawn redwood , smaller the better 2.5" to 1 gallon . Hope I'm posting this correctly new to this and all

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They had them at Oriental Garden Supply but they are currently showing out of stock. You might drop them a line and see if they are planning to have any for the spring planting season:

Oriental Garden Supply

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
They had them at Oriental Garden Supply but they are currently showing out of stock. You might drop them a line and see if they are planning to have any for the spring planting season:

Oriental Garden Supply
sent them a message but only seeing large 3-5 gallon potted of whats in stock . but did message them and hope they have much smaller ones available thanks

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might consider Snow Flurry as well. Easier to find. I don't have Jack Frost but I suspect they're a bit similar. The site below has some:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
You might consider Snow Flurry as well. Easier to find. I don't have Jack Frost but I suspect they're a bit similar. The site below has some:

yea might have to if cant find the other . couple others dawn red woods cultivars would be cool "bonsai" and "sillouette" main issues are most places that do carry are larger plants but hopefully can find some

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My 2 cents. Silhouette, Little Creamy and Bizzarger have fairly coarse needles, so not as appealing. Bonsai and Miss Grace grow too slow. Brooms like Matthaei's Broom and Schirrmann's Nordlicht are not good on their own roots. You'll want to avoid grafts if you can since the different cultivars often differ in bark appearance and thickening speed. My favorites are Amber Glow, Gold Rush and Snow Flurry, plus the plain species. All are good on their own roots, via either air layering or SW cuttings in summer. HW cuttings too.

There is a more prostrate form called Daweswood Tawny Fleece with interesting copper color. It's OK on its own roots as well. Slower to grow though. Kools Gold is a bit similar to Gold Rush, but the yellow is only in early spring and is a more muted color. Harder to get on its own roots.

There is a new one called Soul Fire that is also interesting. Just got it, so not sure how it will do yet.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Would be ok ask where have you been able find yours. Bonsai idm slow growth just thought had interesting growth , ill check out ones you've mentioned also.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
My 2 cents. Silhouette, Little Creamy and Bizzarger have fairly coarse needles, so not as appealing. Bonsai and Miss Grace grow too slow. Brooms like Matthaei's Broom and Schirrmann's Nordlicht are not good on their own roots. You'll want to avoid grafts if you can since the different cultivars often differ in bark appearance and thickening speed. My favorites are Amber Glow, Gold Rush and Snow Flurry, plus the plain species. All are good on their own roots, via either air layering or SW cuttings in summer. HW cuttings too.

There is a more prostrate form called Daweswood Tawny Fleece with interesting copper color. It's OK on its own roots as well. Slower to grow though. Kools Gold is a bit similar to Gold Rush, but the yellow is only in early spring and is a more muted color. Harder to get on its own roots.

There is a new one called Soul Fire that is also interesting. Just got it, so not sure how it will do yet.
And don't worry I'm glad others are sharing opnions on astectics, I definitely since havnt seen but only vis photos is sorta hard to get sense of the needles so it helps you mentioning it. Thanks truly

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Also - FWIW I saw someone selling seeds from "Jack Frost" in a couple of places - both eBay and a seed retailer.

Because they are seeds, none of them will be true Jack Frost - and in fact you are rolling the dice about whether any of them will be variegated at all. But depending what you are looking for it might be worth a look.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Also - FWIW I saw someone selling seeds from "Jack Frost" in a couple of places - both eBay and a seed retailer.

Because they are seeds, none of them will be true Jack Frost - and in fact you are rolling the dice about whether any of them will be variegated at all. But depending what you are looking for it might be worth a look.
Yea I wouldn't buy anything variegated seed wise. I did get regular seeds and will see . Still hoping maybe to find a couple cultivars I like or at worst if any memebers can start any via cuttings of there own mother plants idk tbh options atm seem so very limited other then seeds via original species. But hoping to find some cultivars to grow as well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6

Would be ok ask where have you been able find yours. Bonsai idm slow growth just thought had interesting growth , ill check out ones you've mentioned also.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We are lucky enough to have many local nurseries around here that carry them. Most came from local pickup. Mr Maple had a Soul Fire recently, but they show as out of stock now. They do show AmberGlow and Daweswood Tawny Fleece. ConiferKingdom has some right now, including Gold Rush.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
We are lucky enough to have many local nurseries around here that carry them. Most came from local pickup. Mr Maple had a Soul Fire recently, but they show as out of stock now. They do show AmberGlow and Daweswood Tawny Fleece. ConiferKingdom has some right now, including Gold Rush.
Really hoping to find jack frost or silouette but doesn't seem anywhere has them . Ik might need wait on restock so I've added to wait list

Top Bottom