Cedrus Atlantica - Ramification

s.valente

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi to all.

I recently bought a Cedrus Atlantica in a nursery and I am hoping to get something decent from it.

Here are some pictures (sorry, the background is not plain):

J5yAGjZl.jpg

f7assDUl.jpg

How can I get ramification from branches like this?

qrEo1mDl.jpg

The tree needs ramification. How to? Pinching? Should I cut the tip of the branches?

Thank you!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Never, never, NEVER pinch your Atlas Cedar!

They bud back like crazy!

Let it grow, then CUT BACK to a small twig. It will bud back.

Wire the branches down, and into position. They will always need to be wired. Don't expect to ever hold its position without wire. But wiring is crucial to exposing the inner branches to the sun, so you get interior buds to grow.

Like this one:

symbiotic1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What a beaut!

Good to know about building the branching, I'm trying to do that on a blue atlas at the moment too. How long should we allow the branch to grow before cutting back?

s.valente

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks. What a beautiful tree!

So, cut back to a small branch? Cut until where I want the ramification to start or give it some extra length?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You have to leave some foliage on, don't cut so far back that it's just bare wood.

Look at the limbs of your tree. A lot of them are bare where they emerge off the trunk for 4 inches, then there's foliage. Remove branches growing straight up or straight down. Wire them out so that they all get sun. Shorten any overly long branches.

Cmanz

Yamadori
Reaction score
Adair, that is a great looking cedar. I wish there were more good cedars around.

S. Valente, there is some info on cedars and their care on the Evergreen Gardenworks website. Your tree looks like good starting material with plenty of low branches for the next leader.

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Adair thanks for reply. What is the right time for working on cedars?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Repot in April, after they have started budding out.

Let them grow out and the new needles harden off. Then, cut back. And wire.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Repot in April, after they have started budding out.

Let them grow out and the new needles harden off. Then, cut back. And wire.

Agreed about the repotting time - you need new needles showing. One other point that might freak you is that the transition from nursery container to bonsai pot is not straightforward. Do it slowly, working a third of the root mass at a time. Leave on feeder roots on the other 2/3. Even with this conservative approach they sulk and drop old needles, making them appear like a plucked chicken. This can be very alarming but with good aftercare, reduction in watering til they get growing again and then some light feeding it should be putting out good growth again by mid Summer.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
And how about wiring; ok to add movement after buds have begun to elongate? A fellow club member had told me the cambium separates easily and branches will die back if worked during active growth.
Thanks.
Adair - great cedar. Did you develop it from a young tree?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I did not develop this tree. Jim Gremel did. Yes, he starts them, and grows them in the ground.

Let the shoots run. Then cut back. And then wire.
They back bud readily.

Top Bottom