Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clint talked about chopper mitts or trigger mitts for winter cutting , I've used them for years because I'm not a fan of gloves in the cold .
We've got Princess Auto up here which is kinda like Northern Tool but every now and then they have surplus gear .
Since last winter they've had so US army wool trigger mitt liners so I always pick up a pair or two when I stop in .
The only prob I have with them is

tdPN8ROwNHB6VyM4072gX8ZgIOJnye_beWZJYYpSwn04gswLoHOf-gkJhiRDAMlwc-DxGoUV-IhTt09NqrWWM5VYZRvb23oSFUcDBCJ1kjzzxC1v8RV1TCoG9VgxdpIovaKEtmF4uBPk5gVQKDw4SRSN8i0B0s1mAmyIo10IhL_CBl9xxTZJNu5ag0GHmGsJ-IxqTiOwte29hG2tKMBDVjvvIWKC4VlCC-clHfP9NlXEbATh3Y7LWkW61pAZwHyzKHUD_TVoBjj8zph8ALHQtAso88XZS6mImUplgPe-Ovqnm0tfZPImV6Z9UoAAf5bj0jJdoQkPDYyeKYKrKolby4honcll0h8iFiYsA93t44tBj-EIDKpj98eqCmH4ozzgn7SQdJLEZWoZBYWKEvpHnMUJjDuReqspQ3Hw65-BvZpui52C7LpqWPimKaTGaBHN9A03kXPy7bauTHJeKB_LxSQL1IPCuyPFqFifv1FB33nQtIvPupZfAK3vDwOLRM4vrNlAlS2eriDaY7DeoiuGBpzTlVFqUmz_jNgfMYv4JKWowhmYqMYFAv6W-90sdEX4EXVwzPEWL85OzipUqZWVX4TTH_j--USXmCaujFY5qiW7gS6qxephTdppf3jH7FaoWgG1OiFjtqoQwKjo-7RErencWidFN03vuMon=w1663-h935-no

Right some hard to find when you lay them down lol

I imagine a 243 would drop about 5 ft at 650. Anyone who can hit anything the size of a car door at that range gets my tip of the hat.
106"@ 650. First pic is a screen shot of the calc. Second pic is 4 out of 5 shots at 1,029yds on a 2x2 plate.....390 inches of drop @ 1,029yds...32 1/2 FEET.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-11-26-19-16-42.png
    Screenshot_2017-11-26-19-16-42.png
    331.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20160419_180620.jpg
    20160419_180620.jpg
    1,014.9 KB · Views: 12
Have you got Black locust in your area? It requires minimal seasoning and my grandmother has always said you can burn it "green from the tree", albeit I've never tried that. Not my first choice for fireplaces, but it's great for stoves and often it's so damn invasive there's always somebody wanting to get rid of a few trees they let grow "to see how they would turn up".

What would you bring to tackle this this mess of free locust? Unfortunately, what I have is wayyyyy too small.

My list of wants is ever growing. Affordable 12 valve Dodge, and a decent/affordable 70cc+ saw. Would love to find an 044/440 builder that's not an arm and a leg.

Attachments

• IMG_0369.PNG
    IMG_0369.PNG
    580.2 KB · Views: 17
Plus they had the .284 which was a smart little cartridge but iirc only had offered it in a lever gun.

Yea, that 284 was way ahead of it's time! Same problem with the 358, that Mdl 88 was just never a real popular lever gun. And, I have the Model 71 in 348 Winchester, now that was a lever gun! Just wish mine had a peep, and the trigger pull is horrible. Other than that, it shoots. On several occasions I shot 2" groups with it at 100 yds (off the sand bags) with open sights.

But I can't load my favorite load for it any more because it used a Winchester 120 primer (NLA). I had developed excellent loads for the 348, 300 Win Mag, and 220 swift, all with that primer! And then, it was gone!!!

In fact, in my Hornady Reloading Manual (Third Edition) they use the Win 120 primer for their 300 Winchester and 220 Swift loads.

What would you bring to tackle this this mess of free locust? Unfortunately, what I have is wayyyyy too small.

My list of wants is ever growing. Affordable 12 valve Dodge, and a decent/affordable 70cc+ saw. Would love to find an 044/440 builder that's not an arm and a leg.

Any pro saw 70 cc or larger should do just fine.

I’d bring whatever I had. When I started scrounging, all I had was a Poulan Pro 5020. Cut several 30” plus trees with the stock safety chain before I discovered this site and muffler mods and full chisel chain.... free is free and I’ll cut a steak with a butter knife if it’s all I have!

woodchip, did I read that right? You hold 32ft high to hit that plate? Dang man, that's almost the length of my grandma's pool. You sir are a modern day Robin Hood if you can pull that off on the regular.

I'll raise a beer to you sir!

BTW, it was a coyote the dog was growling at, I ran outside with the 20ga, should have brought the .223, it was messing with the neighbors chickens. My neighbors only complained once about me shooting close to the houses, then the chickens and cats started disappearing, husband comes over "hell with what she said, shot those sons of bitches"

Yea, that 284 was way ahead of it's time! Same problem with the 358, that Mdl 88 was just never a real popular lever gun. And, I have the Model 71 in 348 Winchester, now that was a lever gun! Just wish mine had a peep, and the trigger pull is horrible. Other than that, it shoots. On several occasions I shot 2" groups with it at 100 yds (off the sand bags) with open sights.

But I can't load my favorite load for it any more because it used a Winchester 120 primer (NLA). I had developed excellent loads for the 348, 300 Win Mag, and 220 swift, all with that primer! And then, it was gone!!!

In fact, in my Hornady Reloading Manual (Third Edition) they use the Win 120 primer for their 300 Winchester and 220 Swift loads.
Forgot about the .358, another gem!

I’d bring whatever I had. When I started scrounging, all I had was a Poulan Pro 5020. Cut several 30” plus trees with the stock safety chain before I discovered this site and muffler mods and full chisel chain.... free is free and I’ll cut a steak with a butter knife if it’s all I have!
I started with a Poulan 3314. I still have it. It has cut 90% of the wood I have. The biggest I would attempt was 20", but 20" ash trees are TALL. Then I discovered this wierd scrounging site with all these posers that like to take wood selfies. :D

woodchip, did I read that right? You hold 32ft high to hit that plate? Dang man, that's almost the length of my grandma's pool. You sir are a modern day Robin Hood if you can pull that off on the regular.

No. HUNTERS hold over. Long range precision shooters DIAL. Alot of hunters that JUST hunt don't understand dope. Dial the dope on the scope and put the crosshairs on the target just like you shoot at 100yds. My scope(s) have calibrated reticles so I don't dial wind. Calc says .5 Mil left so I hold .5 Mil left. Target still on horizontal line, left .5 Mil. Hold still. Exhale. Pull trigger. Light cigarette. Brew coffee. Wait for *DING*!!

And yes. I do it on the regular. I get to the farm. Drive out to the plate. Spray a new coat of white spraypaint on the plate, drive back out to 730yds. Shoot. Not rocket science, but if you don't spend alot of time with it and have never been taught the right way or researched enough to know how to do it the right way you don't know any better.

What drives me nuts are folks who can't hit squat buy a magnum chambering way to large for deer hunting to compensate.

I'm glad I don't qualify for that crowd. Not that I don't miss but....

Scrounged up a few rounds this evening I'm probably good on 300 win rounds for at least a year or two.

dd04acf94086e5dbb00661f3cbbfe201.jpg
00a80db62c65b2e13719dc57abb33f27.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mike some of mine are so ethical I can't even use the scope, just point and shoot, ever see a chipmunk relocated at 10' with a .17 hmr :eek:.

If you put under their chin as they are squared up to you and looking at you, it will flip, gut, and skin em in one fell swoop. Trust me on this. And don't even get me started on my 17 super mag ! Whats that saying? Parts is parts?

Back